Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Howard aiming for VFL start

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Tom Williams?
    Not really, he was in the mix by a few clubs.

The thing about Howard was that with only 2 more picks in the first round we would be reasonably safe in assuming that the other sides weren't interested in him. I might be wrong but it looks like we were the only side that had him in the top 20.

I guess if we could have got a pick around the mid 20's we might have taken the chance and selected him there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Not really, he was in the mix by a few clubs.
    For the first round?

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about Howard was that with only 2 more picks in the first round we would be reasonably safe in assuming that the other sides weren't interested in him. I might be wrong but it looks like we were the only side that had him in the top 20.

I guess if we could have got a pick around the mid 20's we might have taken the chance and selected him there.
    How could we safely assume that?

It is possible surely (although perhaps unlikely) that every side had him positioned precisely where we did. In which case, he would have gone to the next call.

If clubs are selecting "best possible" all players are rated. How do we assume that other clubs rated him differently to ourselves?

I guess the issue comes back to how we assess each player. Where an individul sits with other cliubs is largely irrelevant. We got who we wanted so we're happy.

Post Thanks / Like

For the first round?
    Pretty sure I read somewhere Brisbane(and someone else?) would have taken him with their first round pick(Brisbane pick 18), with our next pick being 22.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

For the first round?
    Yes. I think the Hawks had him penciled in for pick 7 if they missed on Franklin at 5.

Post Thanks / Like

How could we safely assume that?

It is possible surely (although perhaps unlikely) that every side had him positioned precisely where we did. In which case, he would have gone to the next call.
    I believe that McMillian-Pittard and Menzel were as good as locks by the Power and Geelong rounding out the first round.
    Melbourne wanted a bigger bodied and more genuine midfielder in Tapscott, the Tigers were committed to big Ben Griffen after getting Martin early and unless Fremantle were going to overlook the local boy in Fyfe (unlikely) it completes the first 20 picks.

I think it's a fair, almost safe, assumption.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't we do this to death after the draft??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Didn't we do this to death after the draft??
    A question was asked and an answer provided. Not something that has to be confined to draft day

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a fair, almost safe, assumption.
    But, following your scenario, if we traded player X and got pick 21, and intended to take Howard with that selection, whose to say that we wouldn't have pinched J M-P or Menzel at 15 and maybe forced Port or Geelong's hand, who in turn then chose Howard as the next best according to their best available/needs policy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    But, following your scenario, if we traded player X and got pick 21, and intended to take Howard with that selection, whose to say that we wouldn't have pinched J M-P or Menzel at 15 and maybe forced Port or Geelong's hand, who in turn then chose Howard as the next best according to their best available/needs policy?
    Its an assumption based on some details that have surfaced after the draft but yes you are right and things can change. I can't also assume 100% that Richmond didn't have Howard at 6 but Griffen at 5 but it seems unlikely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Has any first rounder EVER been as left field as Howard?
    Wasn't Mackie very left field at the time? From memory, he only played half a reserves game at SANFL level before being drafted. I know that Clayton was right into him in addition to Stephen Wells, but I recall the wider football community being very surprised by his selection so high in the draft - turned out to be a very good get by the Cats.

And wasn't Luke McPharlin also a very left-field top 10 selection when the Hawks nabbed him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Wasn't Mackie very left field at the time? From memory, he only played half a reserves game at SANFL level before being drafted. I know that Clayton was right into him in addition to Stephen Wells, but I recall the wider football community being very surprised by his selection so high in the draft - turned out to be a very good get by the Cats.

Another Glenelg / Sacred Heart lad.

Post Thanks / Like

Me again.

Watched the u18 gf replay in full, and while it's a bit tricky as there's only one camera and no commentary (and more then one "light haired" player at the Bay), from the disposals that Howard had that were definitely his he had 100% effective rate. (All were either marked by another Glenelg player or went for a goal) from not a lot of possessions.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's something interesting

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/ne...0/default.aspx

You talked about the excitement of bringing in 14 new players. What do you make of your list overall?
    Hardwick: Overall I think all coaches are reasonably happy with their list - there’s always some holes, but I’m really happy with the depth of our players, but also the positional requirements that we’ve got. We addressed some crucial needs last November in the national and rookie drafts, so I’m pretty happy with where we’re at. Now it’s our job as coaches to develop that talent - we think our recruiters have done a terrific job in getting the talent in, and we felt that we only missed out on one player that we had a target for, and that guy got picked up pretty early by the Bulldogs [South Australian running defender Christian Howard was a surprise first-round pick when the Dogs grabbed him at 15].

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    we felt that we only missed out on one player that we had a target for, and that guy got picked up pretty early by the Bulldogs [South Australian running defender Christian Howard was a surprise first-round pick when the Dogs grabbed him at 15].
    Howie dodged a bullet!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!