Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Daniel Giansiracusa among several candidates to eventually replace Brad Johnson

* Scott Gullan
    * February 13, 2010 12:00AM

While a new-look Brisbane Lions side will take the field tomorrow, the Western Bulldogs will also reveal a pointer to their future direction in the NAB Cup opener.

Brendan Fevola will command much of the attention on debut as a Lion at Manuka Oval, but the identity of the player leading the Dogs out is just as intriguing.

Midfielder Daniel Giansiracusa has been given the captaincy for the first game of the year with regular skipper Brad Johnson in the stands because of an achilles injury.

While Johnson, 33, hasn't declared when he will draw the curtain on his record-breaking career, behind the scenes the jostling for his job has begun.

Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross and Shaun Higgins are being mentioned as possible leaders, but Giansiracusa's appointment for tomorrow's game is significant.

"It is something I aspire to be, to be a captain," Giansiracusa said.

Read the rest here

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Daniel Giansiracusa among several candidates to eventually replace Brad Johnson

I would be happy with Gia as captain & i think it would improve his game even more, having that extra responsibility.

Old Dog Guest

Re: Daniel Giansiracusa among several candidates to eventually replace Brad Johnson

We may not all agree with this but I've read a number of times that Gia has a strong interest in tactics used training methodology and in coaching in the future! I hope this is true .
    This set of skills/interests sets him up well for the senior leaders role with our club.
    He appears to carry himself well appears well respected within the playing group (Bit of a guess this) and also seems to have got over the physical problems he has carried the past couple of years.
    Captaincy , in my view, sits well with him and the club. Good one Gia!

Post Thanks / Like

He looks in terrific condition at the moment. Hopefully he can have a huge season and put himself in a good position to take over from Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with journalist of the article. This could be the biggest indication yet as to who will take over from Johnno. I know the topic of who our next captain will be has been done to death in other threads, but I think the boys would stand a little taller if Gia became the next skipper.

Post Thanks / Like

What's with the media trying to create 'tension' and 'drama' out of everything? There's no "jostling" behind the scenes.

ps. But geez Gia looks in ripping condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    What's with the media trying to create 'tension' and 'drama' out of everything? There's no "jostling" behind the scenes.

ps. But geez Gia looks in ripping condition.
    I can just imagine the scene in the inner sanctum -

"I'm gonna be the next captain"
    "No, I'm gonna be the next captain"
    "No, you're both wrong. I'm gonna be the best captain EVER"....

[B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I can just imagine the scene in the inner sanctum -

"I'm gonna be the next captain"
    "No, I'm gonna be the next captain"
    "No, you're both wrong. I'm gonna be the best captain EVER"....

Haha exactly. Don't you know that real life is JUST like TV, where every moment is full of tension and people create conflict against each other irrationally despite supposedly being friends just for the heck of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Haha exactly. Don't you know that real life is JUST like TV, where every moment is full of tension and people create conflict against each other irrationally despite supposedly being friends just for the heck of it?
    For a very short time I once worked at a Company like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd accept Gia, Murph, Crossy, Boydy, and even Morris. But The way Lakey controls, Leads and sets up from the backline, and drifts into the forward line, He reminds me of Roosey, a champion of the game.
    I'd accept him as well.
    And he did push to get a 4 year deal.
    Lakey is a Dog 4 Life