Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs look forward

Bulldogs look forward

THE Western Bulldogs are already scouting for a power forward, seven weeks before trade week.

Exposed for a lack of marking options this season, the Dogs are prepared to make hard calls to fill their most obvious hole.
    "Certainly we're on the lookout for a power forward, and to do that you have to give up something," Eade said yesterday. "I think we've got to make considered decisions about our list. I don't want to get into it too publicly.
    "There's probably some players there that maybe need to be looked at as to whether they're in the frame to take us forward.
    "We might have to make some hard decisions."
    With the exit of Luke Darcy and the likely retirement of Chris Grant, the Dogs will have room to move under the salary cap.
    They will pay 100 per cent of the cap again next year and are prepared to chase a big fish rather than a player on the outer at another club who may not have an impact.
    Eade said the club had yet to investigate the availability of Carlton's Brendan Fevola, but had other names in mind.
    "We've got a few names in the hat to throw around," Eade said. "Getting a power forward who can take a mark makes you more flexible and less predictable.
    "I certainly agree we need one, no doubt.
    "If we can recruit smartly and not compromise our future, I think the turnaround can be pretty significant. However, it is a fine line, and Geelong have proved you can turn things around quickly."
    The Dogs could also be in the market for harder bodies -- and need a midfield stopper.
    Some of the lighter-bodied players are likely to come under scrutiny. "As a team, we need to get bigger," Eade said.
    Asked how he could achieve that, Eade said: "Recruit . . . turn over (players) . . . look at programs.
    "We need to focus on that heavily. Put size on players and continue to improve our running.
    "There's a range of things we need to do without going into too much detail.
    "If we can recruit smartly and not compromise our future, I think the turnaround can be pretty significant."
    Eade has played six first-gamers this year and a total of nine players who started the season with 12 or less games experience. He has resisted the temptation to regularly play senior fringe players such as Matthew Robbins, Cam Faulkner and Sam Power this year in favour of youth.
    "If we can find four or five 100-plus game players, that's fantastic," Eade said.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs look forward

maybe some of this hoo-har from BF that Schulz is on our radar just might be on the money.

I wonder what other names are in the hat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    maybe some of this hoo-har from BF that Schulz is on our radar just might be on the money.

I wonder what other names are in the hat?
    Given that Schulz can't crack it for a game at the worst club in the league, I'd be very surprised if he was someone who would take us forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Please God no!
    Crumbs!

Post Thanks / Like

Cleve Hughes?

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at it with a bit of logic, unlike a few on BF we have the following options:

1. Target a ready made 'gun' forward - The only one I see being even remotely available is Fevola. There are certain questions around him which make it doubtful.

2. Target a 21-23yo who is not getting much of a go at there club, but has shown some potential - Someone like F.Watts, C.Johns or J.Schulz - With A.McDougall fresh in our minds this is probably a silly move.

3. Try and poach a young up and comer - Don't know who but from the last few years it would have to be someone like S. Gumbleton, T. Cloke, L. Franklin, etc.. We would have to pay way over the odds if they are available.

4. Use our first rd draft pick to pick up someone like Gaertner or Henderson and hope they can develop quickly.

5. Hope we can develop one from inside our list??

Our options are pretty slim, it is bloody hard to try and get a good quality key forward from another team. If you look at option 2 we have tried this on many occassions and failed. Do we keep taking this path and hope that eventually we get one right. Who knows?? I suppose it's up to Eade and Clayton to work out what the best option is, hopefully they can pick the right option this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Shulz is another McDougall waiting to happen

hope they dont go after him :|