Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman banned for vilification

Wow the evidence Barrett and the Footy Classified show is damming isn't it. 2 shots of Sherman and Wilkinson in a contest and Gia walking to them after the siren. This is the evidence they have found to say that it happened continuously through out the entire game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Wow the evidence Barrett and the Footy Classified show is damming isn't it. 2 shots of Sherman and Wilkinson in a contest and Gia walking to them after the siren. This is the evidence they have found to say that it happened continuously through out the entire game.
    Has the club or Sherman denied it?

It is damaging against our brand, if false information has been reported i think the club would jump on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman gets 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    You think so? He is a show pony on the field. Apart from the Freo game many of his goals are soft/goal square type. Not sure he works hard enough either. He provides us with run we've needed but we gave up a bit for him.

Off field he has been a disaster. Classic example of a footballer that should keep his mouth shut apart from saying the cliches.
    I agree. Sherman is an ordinary Footballer and it provides the perfect opportunity for Grant's return. To think we opted for Sherman when Andrew Walker was a possibility beggars belief.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman gets 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    To think we opted for Sherman when Andrew Walker was a possibility beggars belief.
    Not quite as easy as it sounds NBP. I think Carlton wanted more for Walker than what we gave for Sherman
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I just like watching footy and all this extra stuff really does annoy at times. The media will crap on about this until the next incident. Can't wait until the Melbourne game is over so we can move on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Ward View Post
    Personally I just like watching footy and all this extra stuff really does annoy at times. The media will crap on about this until the next incident. Can't wait until the Melbourne game is over so we can move on.
    It will be interesting to see what happens AW.

After the Aker fiasco last year we came out firing and smacked Freo. The club was under siege after that ridiculous Sam Newman / Akermanis setup on the footy show.. Aker is a narcissistic ballbag and i can see how his rantings and ravings totally galvanized the group.

This week seems different . From what i've read the playing group feel deeply ashamed by what has happened. Will they go into their shells? Will they come out firing? Again the club
    is being heavily criticised but this time the criticism is warranted.

..an interesting study in player psychology this week .

Also, I wonder if Bob will dare tackle the issue in the Age this week? It will be a tough article
    for him to write, a lot of conflicting loyalties / emotions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    If so, other Dogs players must have been aware of it, and possibly the coaching staff.

Why didn't the onfield leadership group (and coaching staff If they were aware of it) stop it?

Not the best day for our club, nor the best day for Hill, DJ, Stack or Jones.
    If it was all day and If they were aware (and it seems some knew by full-time) then they could have stopped it earlier, couldn't they?
    If it was "going on all day" a quiet word at the end of a quarter isn't that hard, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Who's to say that didn't happen? And you are assuming that the vilification was going on all day when it might have only happened twice.
    Hm, a few comprehension problems here and in some other people's posts about my "assuming" that the racial sledging occurred all match.

If clearly signifies that it might have happened or might not, and of speculation and doubt not certainty.

I don't know what actually happened on Saturday nor does anyone else here. It might have been a one-off, happened a few times or happened all game.

There was an allegation it happened all game, and so I commented IF this was true. I didn't assume it was true.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows how often it happened but players certainly knew it happened.

Certain players would tell someone to stop being an asshole but others probably most would just sit back and not say anything.

Our club seems to have a lot of the sit back type.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

Certain players would tell someone to stop being an asshole but others probably most would just sit back and not say anything.

If so, then in a sense Sherman isn't the only guilty one.

If the bolded bit in your post is true, what the hell was our so-called Leadership Group doing?

On a positive note, I watched the press conference. Sherman looked terrible but gee Garlick was terrific.

Haven't heard speak before - very impressive.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Gia apparently went up to the player as soon as the siren sounded so they knew something happened. If it happened once than the Leadership Group doesn't need to do anything.

If more than once yes they should do something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

I don't believe this is true. With the leadership programme in place, issues are dealt with more promptly than they would have in the past.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glove38 View Post
    Has the club or Sherman denied it?

It is damaging against our brand, if false information has been reported i think the club would jump on it.

The media would love the club to be embroiled in a "he said it twice", "no he didn't, it was 6 times" argument, which would inevitably draw in the Suns. The clubs have wisely said that no more will be said about it. Sherman will be forbidden to ever discuss the matter, while he's at the club anyway. People can waste their time speculating or just accept and move on.
    Last edited by Curly5; 29-06-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If so, then in a sense Sherman isn't the only guilty one.

If the bolded bit in your post is true, what the hell was our so-called Leadership Group doing?

On a positive note, I watched the press conference. Sherman looked terrible but gee Garlick was terrific.

Haven't heard speak before - very impressive.
    Agreed ... It's my first interaction with him as CEO ... I too was impressed.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Shit, too many posts to "Multi-Quote" so I'm just gonna stop right here…

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    How do you know it was the first gamer?

RE the donation can he claim it at tax time?
    Reported by many in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    In my day it was just trying to put a player off his game, he would do the same back and you just got on with it, and you both knew it was just trying to psyche each other out and meant nothing.
    Afterwards you all had a beer and didnt even remember what was said or you both laughed about it.

Okay things have changed and you can all have a go at me but whatever happened to a bit of gobbing off, I copped it and mainly looked forward to it, whether my race, parents etc.
    I heard some real funny ones and you knew they werent personal.
    I do have one question if its racially driven why arent the people feeling villified proud of their heritage?
    As Nicky Winmar did by lifting his top, yes im black or aboriginal and i am proud of it.
    We should all be proud of our race, I was born in the UK and growing up here, still cop the pommy "B" 40 years later, I take it as a plus not a minus.
    I think the unwritten rule was dont get personal, eg if you knew something had happened to the family and focussed on that it was a no no, if he did that yep give him a good going over.

The world has changed since my day and I suppose rules are rules and all players are schooled on not doing it, Sherman did it so he is guilty but I think a few of us are going over the top with being remembered for it and its a blight on the club, i am backing its gone and forgotten in 4 weeks.
    I certainly have nothing against Sherman just dissappointed its one of our players and he should have known better.
    This is the wrong attitude. I'm not a PC type of person, in fact in many cases I'm anything but, but I've seen enough hurt caused by people who “didn't really mean anything by it” to believe that for a minute.

I've been the subject of racism myself, whilst overseas. I once had fruit pelted at me for being American (I'm not, but they thought I was). It's not a nice feeling. It's worse than “sticks and stones”, racism slowly but surely cements a person's status in society as a second-class citizen based solely on the colour of their skin, this leads to viewing these people as less human than ourselves, and this has helped cause more wars than I care to list exhaustively, but for a start: World War 1, World War 2, the first Gulf War…

Ask a Jew if he thinks racism is simply calling somebody names.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Not sure about this. A program of mediation and education would be followed - but termination for a first offence is pretty unlikely...
    In my company, you'd be watched whilst you pack up your desk. We don't tolerate it. Nobody should.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I can't accept that calling someone names is worse than elbowing someone in the head
    It's far worse. You're attacking an entire race of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Sockeye. I completely and utterly disagree with you.
    That old chestnut, (and I'll quote it in full in case anyone doesn't know it)

"sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"

Is a colossal load of bull$@#t.

Names hurt, they hurt alot, workplace bullying and cyber bullying has caused suicides. Fact.

Racism is about the vilest face of human behaviour and needs to be stamped out completely.

I hope justin Sherman is ashamed and sorry and 4 weeks is OK with me.
    Complete agree. Also think 4 weeks is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to derail a very serious thread but what do I tell my kids if sticks and stones etc is bullshit?

Should they run and cry to teacher or me every time someone teases them?

Also at my work if you racially abused someone you would be given the chance to discuss and atone for your actions not frog marched out the door.

Which approach is more enlightened I will leave up to the individual to decide.