Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman banned for vilification

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Not to derail a very serious thread but what do I tell my kids if sticks and stones etc is bullshit?

Should they run and cry to teacher or me every time someone teases them?

Also at my work if you racially abused someone you would be given the chance to discuss and atone for your actions not frog marched out the door.

Which approach is more enlightened I will leave up to the individual to decide.
    Have the chance to discuss and atone, sure, but if they don't really get it, then march them out the door. Why? Because many people don't want to work with racists. That's how serious I see it.

Just because he came out in the media and read an apology scripted by the PR team doesn't mean he's changed his views. Hopefully he has.

It's a massive issue in our country as a whole at the moment, and this incident, and this subsequent discussion here on WOOF, only highlights the general problem across the nation: We don't all understand how serious an issue it is. Many people feel as if it's the “politically correct, leftie, latté-drinking elite” ramming something down our throats, rather than looking at it as common-sense, decent people and realise we're hurting other people, just like us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I can't accept that calling someone names is worse than elbowing someone in the head
    Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    It's far worse. You're attacking an entire race of people.
    Multi offenders or on going torment would surely have psychological effects. But a one off racial sledge Vs a Concussion? Dunno about that one. If what you guys are reffering to is the Campbell Brown hit on Ward, put it in perspective. What sherman did was worse than say Browns elbow on Ward and the sentance shows. But as a one off racial sledge how would it compare to say Tony Locketts elbow all those years ago that earnt him 12wks (I think?). One could argue that facial reconstruction and a year out of the game is less desirable than what happened to the GC first gamer. However I don't believe I have any right to say how it feels for someone to be racialy taunted.

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    In my company, you'd be watched whilst you pack up your desk. We don't tolerate it. Nobody should.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Also at my work if you racially abused someone you would be given the chance to discuss and atone for your actions not frog marched out the door.

Which approach is more enlightened I will leave up to the individual to decide.
    Same at my work. obviously severity come into the equasion but a lot of big companies have rehab type programs and counselling in place, inc formal warnings and such.

I still think Sherman got off light though.

Post Thanks / Like

Think it's a bit over the top if you ask me. I mean you could turn most things into racial depending how you take it and considering nobody knows exactly what was said we shouldn't judge straight away. I have gone through alot of racist comments and what have you in my years be it on the soccer pitch or school but I know it makes me stronger and I never looked at it as a bad thing. Maybe because I have a different view on racism seeing I've been on the back end before and I didn't let it effect me so others will have a different view. Just think some people need to relax about this And some players need to harden up. In saying that I don't appreciate sherman representing our club in that way and he cops 4 weeks bad luck I Spose I'm sure he will learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    Think it's a bit over the top if you ask me. I mean you could turn most things into racial depending how you take it and considering nobody knows exactly what was said we shouldn't judge straight away. I have gone through alot of racist comments and what have you in my years be it on the soccer pitch or school but I know it makes me stronger and I never looked at it as a bad thing. Maybe because I have a different view on racism seeing I've been on the back end before and I didn't let it effect me so others will have a different view. Just think some people need to relax about this And some players need to harden up. In saying that I don't appreciate sherman representing our club in that way and he cops 4 weeks bad luck I Spose I'm sure he will learn.
    ^^^^^ My thoughts too.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% that there is no place for it, but I also believe society has gone over the top with the issue.
    It worries me if something derogatory is said like you white so and so, it doesn't appear to be as big an issue as if the same expression is used with regard to a different colour. I have to beat around the bush instead of using pain English, which would be politicly incorrect.

Post Thanks / Like

For those saying we don't know what was said..Sherman himself said in his statement it was 'offensive, degrading and extremely hurtful. '

I'm not sure what people might think the different 'grades' of racial abuse might be, but quite evidently Sherman acknowledges it was not of some 'trivial', 'minor' nature, whatever that might look like I have no idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    For those saying we don't know what was said..Sherman himself said in his statement it was 'offensive, degrading and extremely hurtful. '

I'm not sure what people might think the different 'grades' of racial abuse might be, but quite evidently Sherman acknowledges it was not of some 'trivial', 'minor' nature, whatever that might look like I have no idea.
    Do you really think Sherman had any input into that speech? He has shown several times he's not the brightest, and leaving him to his own words is a recipe for disaster.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Do you really think Sherman had any input into that speech? He has shown several times he's not the brightest, and leaving him to his own words is a recipe for disaster.
    Agree. There is no chance he had anything to do with writing that up, in fact it has probably been saved on the shared drive at HQ as "racial slur apology template updated 26.06.2011.doc"

All you can hope is that Sherman has taken the wake up call this incident has dished out well and will develop into a better sportsman, turning out some solid performances for the Club. He certainly will need to become a very good player if his goal celebrations remain so over the top while the majority of the crowd will be booing him and throwing all sorts of barbs his way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    In my opinion 4 weeks is an adequate penalty. It was a weak act by Sherman. I also think Malthouse should have been suspended for calling a player a rapist...whether you like that player or not... it smacks of double standards by the AFL.. That comment is also 'offensive, degrading and extremely hurtful'.

Post Thanks / Like

I am saddened by what has happened.....chiefly because I like to think that we are a club of Chris Grant types. I know that's not possible, but I just like to think we are all responsible for how others might feel before we open our mouths.

What should have been a glorious day of celebration for a young man and his family and friends has turned into a nightmare. What right does Sherman have for so trashing a young man's day of hopes and dreams? His mother's hopes and dreams? His father's? Forever now, his first game of AFL football will be tainted by what was said to him.

It's rubbish and it's truly disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

I quoted him because some have questioned whether it may have been an offense at the lower end of the spectrum (if there is such a thing). I don't think he wrote them himself but he would have had to agree to the wording and the penalty..if he strongly felt he had somehow been misquoted or just said something 'in jest' I doubt he'd have agreed to such strong wording and could have gone to the tribunal. That, and his stricken demeanor, suggest to me this was a very serious breach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    In my opinion 4 weeks is an adequate penalty. It was a weak act by Sherman. I also think Malthouse should have been suspended for calling a player a rapist...whether you like that player or not... it smacks of double standards by the AFL.. That comment is also 'offensive, degrading and extremely hurtful'.
    It annoys me that certain sledges are seen as distasteful but seemingly acceptable, while others are seen to carry more of a stigma. The comparison you highlight, often directed at a person who I don't regard very highly (from a club that I despise for many reasons) is a case in point. I can't think of many things more offensive to be called than rapist. Rape is disgusting, abhorrent and one of the worst things a person can inflict upon another but this person cops it on a weekly basis based on rumour. Nobody really bats an eyelid at it.

It also concerns me that caving or attempting to cave a persons face in on the football field is not derided by some sections of the public as strongly as saying racist comments is. For me, that's just silly. If I was to use Campbell Brown's hit on Ward this year as an example I think I can demonstrate the point fairly well. Brown made intentional head high contact to a player that wasn't ready for it well off the ball, with the intention to cause him physical harm. The next day there were plenty of people lining up to defend his actions. Even the AFL and MRP made excuses for him.

I'm not saying we need to loosen up on how we handle racism, more to the point, I think society needs to raise its standards in other areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said.

I still want to clean my toilet with Milnes head which would be 'offensive, degrading and extremely hurtful'.

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

EXACTLY!!

Post Thanks / Like

What a great point, to a non rapist that would be very upsetting and hurtful.