Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman banned for vilification

Gordon Legal will be representing the AFL in this case
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I accept that Joel may have legitimately suffered, I'd like to digress.

Sometimes I feel as members of WOOF we unnecessarily inflict suffering on each other. By way of example, this thread, does any self respecting bulldog want to be reminded that we squandered the Harbrow compensation pick (approx pick 25) on Justin Sherman?

I argue we need to be better to each other, and try not to remind each other of these atrocities

Don't start me on our lack of compensation for Tony McGuinness or Kym Koster etc - because I'm still not over it!!

3. Thanks GVGjr, Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, hujsh, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had forgotten all about him now I'm having flashbacks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Not Bitter Anymore View Post
    I had forgotten all about him now I'm having flashbacks

Acid flashbacks? I get them too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The reaction on Social Media to Wilkinson's case has been predictably pitiful.

Apparently he's "The new Harry O'Brien".

Which, given what Heretier went through, I would be wearing as a badge of honour if I was Wilkinson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The reaction on Social Media to Wilkinson's case has been predictably pitiful.

Apparently he's "The new Harry O'Brien".

Which, given what Heretier went through, I would be wearing as a badge of honour if I was Wilkinson.
    O'Brien could play and made it to 200 games, despite the 'problem child' persona often attributed to him. Everybody deserves their day in court but if Wilkinson was any good he'd still be playing now. To assert that his outspokenness curtailed his career fails the sniff test - clubs bend over backwards for seriously talented players who might be outspoken off the ground. O'Brien actually disproves the 'lost wages' element of his case.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    O'Brien could play and made it to 200 games, despite the 'problem child' persona often attributed to him. Everybody deserves their day in court but if Wilkinson was any good he'd still be playing now. To assert that his outspokenness curtailed his career fails the sniff test - clubs bend over backwards for seriously talented players who might be outspoken off the ground. O'Brien actually disproves the 'lost wages' element of his case.
    I'm talking more in context of the abuse he copped from the general football public. Anyone who calls out racism becomes public enemy number 1.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm talking more in context of the abuse he copped from the general football public. Anyone who calls out racism becomes public enemy number 1.
    We do ugly mobs particularly well. If ganging up on someone was an Olympic sport it would be another 1500 freestyle for us.

11. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rubbish. There's just as much if not more vitriol directed at the AFL, particularly from SJW groups, because the complaint is against the AFL and the complaintant is a minority.

AFL= White blokes in suits= evil

Wilkinson= minority= pure and honest

Sorry I don't give either groups any credit. Both are as toxic as each other.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Rubbish. There's just as much if not more vitriol directed at the AFL, particularly from SJW groups, because the complaint is against the AFL and the complaintant is a minority.

Sorry, but I've highlighted the part that actually is rubbish.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually agree with your posts but this one not so much.

Social media can be great for getting an alternative view on stuff, Twitter especially. But criticism on social media is always much more frequently from abusive bogans than SJWs, just look at any Facebook thread, and can be incredibly harsh.

There are some calling out the AFL about this, but by and large they seem to be much more rational and measured than the stuff Wilkinson is copping. Almost every media tweet or story about this has an absolutely disgraceful comment/reply section, which is primarily abuse towards Wilkinson.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I've highlighted the part that actually is rubbish.
    I guess you've found only what you've looked for and made your case. Good job.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you've found only what you've looked for and made your case. Good job.
    Or maybe you've just oversimplified a problem and moved on.

In either case its not worth having this discussion.

17. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting talk (and I'm not quite sure I understand it) that the definition of racism (or whatever the term used in the complaint is) used in the complaint is an American definition of racism or racial intolerance that doesn't actually need an act of racism toward an individual to be proven. I think I have that right but everyone is being a bit cagey and short on information. I think Wilkinson lives in the US and plays NFL (or played) now.

A couple if things I don't understand 1/ this isn't the United States. 2/ how can you be offended against if you haven't been offended against? I might be an idiot that's looking at a job half done but I'm confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Points for getting through this post without using the word "cuck" I guess.

This is a ridiculous assertion and pays absolutely no regard to existing power dynamics that cause systemic harm to be perpetuated on minorities in the first place. There have been continual acts of racial and sexual-based discrimination performed by the AFL, its constituent clubs, or supporter groups even in the last 18 months that the organisation itself has claimed no responsibility or blame for, and creates for the insidious culture that continues to make the game so toxic.

There is an overwhelming tendency to undermine complaints from minority groups for many reasons, for a number of reasons, the most obvious of which is a lack of understanding with regard to what is racism. The suppression of POC voices in informing what racism is, in favour of a paternalistic approach whereby we determine only overt slurs and racially-motivated violence can be racist, has created this circular logic where a claim of racial taunting short of these prescribed behaviours is derided and put to the side, ever deepening the issue at hand. Look at the Government's rejection of the "Statement from the Heart" proposal if you don't believe me - it's an extremely deep-seated problem in Australian society that reaches far beyond the AFL, but is no doubt reflected by it.

Wilkinson's claim is being dismissed not on its merits - I actually believe he has a strong argument, as it cannot be wholly said what his career may have amounted to if he had've been free of racially motivated bullying - but because we do not believe the behaviour being bounded around either to be racist, or of such a profound affect that he should not be overcome by it. And it makes for yet another example of a person being discriminated against being ignored or attempting to have their voice silenced because it is more convenient to do so.

Btw, SJW is such a bullshit cop out term to preserve the status quo of comfortability for most and demonstrates such little nuance I'm actually disappointed to see it on here. Might as well have called the complaint fake news.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

20. Likes Topdog liked this post