Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman gets 4 weeks

Sorry but does any one know what he said? Without knowing what he said I'm pretty sure no one should be abusing Sherman. Obviously racism is a complete no-no, yet there are very, very fine lines on the issue and it might be the case that Sherman crossing the line was simply clumsy. We know from when he first arrived at the club that he can imply something through clumsy language without meaning to.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Sherman gets 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    I think hes been something we've really needed, apart from whats just happened obviously.
    He's been more good than bad (football wise).
    You think so? He is a show pony on the field. Apart from the Freo game many of his goals are soft/goal square type. Not sure he works hard enough either. He provides us with run we've needed but we gave up a bit for him.

Off field he has been a disaster. Classic example of a footballer that should keep his mouth shut apart from saying the cliches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    The club should make a stance and stand him down for the rest of the year. There is just no need for these types of comments.
    I don't agree with this. 4 weeks is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The bulldogs suggested the 4 weeks and fine and GC accepted it.
    The fact GC (and by extension, Wilkinson) accepted the penalty indicates the penalty is harsh enough to make amends for that particular incident. I just hope he goes further than this and make some further efforts at redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    Get off your high horses those calling for the rest of the year etc. Admit you've never made a mistake. It was wrong by him.
    Whilst I agree with a year being too much, you can hardly ask those slamming racism to get off their high horses. They've a right to feel let down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    You think so? He is a show pony on the field. Apart from the Freo game many of his goals are soft/goal square type. Not sure he works hard enough either. He provides us with run we've needed but we gave up a bit for him.

Off field he has been a disaster. Classic example of a footballer that should keep his mouth shut apart from saying the cliches.
    I think you are being harsh on him, Sherman is ranked 9th in the AFL, yes out of over 600 players for scoring assists.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    Get off your high horses those calling for the rest of the year etc. Admit you've never made a mistake. It was wrong by him.
    Nothing to do with getting on one's high horse. If this happened in a workplace the employee making derogatory remarks could well be sacked. This should be no different within this work environment.

It is more than a mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

Its disappointing for everyone involved.

I feel for Sherman who will get a hard time because of this mistake - for the rest of his career. Without knowing him, I'm willing to give Sherman the benefit of the doubt that it was a 'heat of the moment' mistake - and that it is only a blemish on his otherwise good character.

But the player from the Suns, if I'm not mistaken - is playing his first AFL match, and gets racially villified....its disgusting - and I feel sorry for him too.

I don't think the punishment is excessive whatsoever - and on the surface - both clubs have handled it pretty well.

For those who think along the lines of "What's said on the ground, should stay on the ground" - should attempt to stumble across the modern game at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Really why would you say that? Do you know him? (genuine question not smart A)
    sorry i meant who we would rather rubbed out for 4 weeks.

i dont know if he was more likely to say such things i just meant he would be the least missed out of our current 22 IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman banned for vilification

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Yeah it is but am I alone in thinking 4 weeks is just a tad OTT. Someone who is found to take drugs gets a 3 strike policy and is hidden away so know one will find out but yet if you call someone a name it warrants a harsher penalty that deliberately knocking someone out on the field or shooting up cocaine.

I'm against racially vilifying someone but thinks it's far to much of a penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Yup, or even giving someone an elbow behind play & you only get 2 weeks!
    Racially vilifying somebody — especially a first gamer — is far worse in my opinion than smoking some pot or giving somebody an elbow behind play.

Post Thanks / Like

It was stupid but the penalty is harsh. It should be remembered that one stupid comment does not make someone racist. Also for those who stand in judgement, remember the last time you said or did something stupid in the heat of the moment.

But with all that being said it was a dumb thing to do by someone who seems to have form doing dumb things (maybe he lived up in the deep north too long). I feel bad for the GC player involved and I do give Justin credit for manning up and taking the punishment on the chin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post

We don't have many show pony's in our team. He provides good run and has great scoring ability. Exactly what we needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Made a big mistake , now he pays for it! Everyone makes them and hopefully Justin learns a harsh lesson. Been handled well IMO. As for Sherman the footballer, been a tad disappointing but I'd reckon he's a good footballer in a team traveling well and looks a little average in one travelling ordinary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Nothing to do with getting on one's high horse. If this happened in a workplace the employee making derogatory remarks could well be sacked. This should be no different within this work environment.

It is more than a mistake.
    As Ozza said, it's highly likely that it was made in the heat of the moment. I don't condone it or think it's right but you seem to want to hang him out to dry.

He's been suspended for 4 weeks, he has to make a $5k donation to a charity, he has to complete a course along the lines of racial vilification. He's going to feel like shit and wear this for the rest of his life.

What do you feel would be a suitable punishment for him? Playing rights taken away ala Cousins? Gaol sentence?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Racially vilifying somebody — especially a first gamer — is far worse in my opinion than smoking some pot or giving somebody an elbow behind play.
    And here's my mum telling me all those years ' sticks and stones ...'

The world's gone mad.

Post Thanks / Like

According to the Bulldogs site: "Justin will also volunteer for the Red Dust Role Models program an initiative that provides mentoring and support in remote indigenous communities."

I don't understand this. If Sherman vilified a person of African(Nigerian) descent, as noted in this thread, what does this have to do with the Aboriginal community? I hope the club and/or the AFL don't think people of African descent are the same race as Indigenous Australians. Perhaps with the growing number of people of African descent in Melbourne, something to help the Sudanese in the Footscray area might have been more appropriate. Just a thought.

At least Sherman has apologised and owned up to his wrongdoing. The four weeks seems right for what he did.
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Whilst I agree with a year being too much, you can hardly ask those slamming racism to get off their high horses. They've a right to feel let down.
    So it's open slather? They have no right to feel let down. How does Sherman owe them anything?