Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman gets 4 weeks

It's poor by Sherman and it's a fair punishment.

However, the reactions of some on this forum tells me they haven't been in local leagues or in general social environments enough. It happens all the time, and often much worse (eg. physical abuse).

Sherman does need to be made an example of, though. Not good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman banned for vilification

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    And here's my mum telling me all those years ' sticks and stones ...'

Racial vilification is worse than sticks and stones, it has other connotations.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Racially vilifying somebody — especially a first gamer — is far worse in my opinion than smoking some pot or giving somebody an elbow behind play.
    How do you know it was the first gamer?

RE the donation can he claim it at tax time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No, the penalty was put forward by the Club and GC accepted.
    Why dig a hole for ourselves?

Should have let Sherman's punishment be handled by the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

In my day it was just trying to put a player off his game, he would do the same back and you just got on with it, and you both knew it was just trying to psyche each other out and meant nothing.
    Afterwards you all had a beer and didnt even remember what was said or you both laughed about it.

Okay things have changed and you can all have a go at me but whatever happened to a bit of gobbing off, I copped it and mainly looked forward to it, whether my race, parents etc.
    I heard some real funny ones and you knew they werent personal.
    I do have one question if its racially driven why arent the people feeling villified proud of their heritage?
    As Nicky Winmar did by lifting his top, yes im black or aboriginal and i am proud of it.
    We should all be proud of our race, I was born in the UK and growing up here, still cop the pommy "B" 40 years later, I take it as a plus not a minus.
    I think the unwritten rule was dont get personal, eg if you knew something had happened to the family and focussed on that it was a no no, if he did that yep give him a good going over.

The world has changed since my day and I suppose rules are rules and all players are schooled on not doing it, Sherman did it so he is guilty but I think a few of us are going over the top with being remembered for it and its a blight on the club, i am backing its gone and forgotten in 4 weeks.
    I certainly have nothing against Sherman just dissappointed its one of our players and he should have known better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    If everyone seems to forget about Reiwoldt's naked bod all over the internet, I reckon they are gonna forget about this soon enough....
    Not a single person has forgotten that.
    And the weight on Riewoldt's shoulders looks to be colossal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    I strongly disagree with any suggestion that this is an over reaction. Racism is a blight. I am so disappointed that our club is involved. The penalty is more than justified. Congrats if it is correct that we suggested and initiated the penalty instead of hiding behind weasel words and protecting someone has done wrong.

Look around our heartland where every race lives side by side. I am proud when I see young Sudanese kids walking around with our jumpers & scarves. We should be, and have been, role models for anti racism with our community focus and programs. This is a sad day for our club and I hope it doesn't undo the respect we have earned as a socially progressive organization.

/\ /\ /\ +1

I hope that when Justin goes to the remote communities as part of the Red Dust Role Model Program he gets a real feel for how big the journey is for our talented indigenous players , it would be good to have Zeph go with him as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Why dig a hole for ourselves?

Should have let Sherman's punishment be handled by the AFL.
    Sherman accepted the punishment, but he could have let it go to the tribunal. Would you want the tribunal to handle this one. Knowing our luck he could have got 10 weeks from those muppets.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

However, the reactions of some on this forum tells me they haven't been in local leagues or in general social environments enough. It happens all the time, and often much worse (eg. physical abuse).

I'm with you. 4 weeks is an appropriate suspension and the fine and the eduction that he needs to complete should get the message across loud and clear.
    He's been around elite football long enough to have known it wasn't acceptable and I think the club, the Suns and the AFL have made the right call.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    As Ozza said, it's highly likely that it was made in the heat of the moment. I don't condone it or think it's right but you seem to want to hang him out to dry.

He's been suspended for 4 weeks, he has to make a $5k donation to a charity, he has to complete a course along the lines of racial vilification. He's going to feel like shit and wear this for the rest of his life.

What do you feel would be a suitable punishment for him? Playing rights taken away ala Cousins? Gaol sentence?
    Like I said he should be at least stood down for the rest of the year. Personally I would sack him but that is IMHO.

If this happened in many a workplace the consequences would be significant. Many a workplace would terminate a person's contract immediately. It is bringing the workplace into disrepute (in this instance the WBFC) Particularly as there has been such a strong focus on this area within the AFL any misdemeanours in this area should really involve some significant penalties including termination of contract.

Gaol sentence??? Now you are taking the piss.

Post Thanks / Like

Sherman accepted the punishment, but he could have let it go to the tribunal. Would you want the tribunal to handle this one. Knowing our luck he could have got 10 weeks from those muppets.
    Sherman put himself in a position where he can't really argue the depth of his punishment. He has to take what comes his way, but the club should have shouldered some of the weight, by leaving it up to the AFL to decide.

I don't see any other club 'volunteering' punishments for their players indiscretions.

Whilst it's a sensitive topic, we're too 'nice' of a club. Nobody gives a shit what the Dogs offered, so if our PR people think it's positive to take initiative, they're dreaming. We should have taken the punishment from the AFL and said "We agree, we're disappointed etc."

Post Thanks / Like

So you know the types of social environments that we have been involved in. I don't think so. Unfortunately I have seen these types of actions both socially and professionally. Professionally they have been dealt with appropriately including termination of contract.

There is no comparison between a local league and a professional sports person who earns his living through his craft. Like I said personally I would sack him but that is IMHO - I don't agree with the punishment received as i don't see that it befits the action. However if all parties involved in the issue have discussed and agreed with the appropriate action then I will simply leave it at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Like I said he should be at least stood down for the rest of the year. Personally I would sack him but that is IMHO.

If this happened in many a workplace the consequences would be significant. Many a workplace would terminate a person's contract immediately.
    Not sure about this. A program of mediation and education would be followed - but termination for a first offence is pretty unlikely...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Not sure about this. A program of mediation and education would be followed - but termination for a first offence is pretty unlikely...
    Especially if you are apologetic.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Racial vilification is worse than sticks and stones, it has other connotations.
    I can't accept that calling someone names is worse than elbowing someone in the head