Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman gets 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    There is no over reaction when it comes to racial vilification. He is lucky to get only 4 weeks.
    Agree with this, nothing worse than a racist.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman banned for vilification

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I can't accept that calling someone names is worse than elbowing someone in the head
    Are you Anglo?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Being called a pommy B does not have even a tenth of the weight of history that black races have endured but I just don't know where to start with that one.

I just saw Sherman on the news. He appeared devastated and said how inappropriate it was given his close ties with guys like Djekerra, Hill and Jones. He has fully acknowledged he was wrong rather than attempt to justify it as banter, or undercut it by the old Wayne Carey,' IF I have offended anybody..' cop out line, and that is as it should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Are you Anglo?
    Why does his race matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I can't accept that calling someone names is worse than elbowing someone in the head
    Sockeye. I completely and utterly disagree with you.
    That old chestnut, (and I'll quote it in full in case anyone doesn't know it)

"sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"

Is a colossal load of bull$@#t.

Names hurt, they hurt alot, workplace bullying and cyber bullying has caused suicides. Fact.

Racism is about the vilest face of human behaviour and needs to be stamped out completely.

I hope justin Sherman is ashamed and sorry and 4 weeks is OK with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Why does his race matter?
    Didn't sound like something someone from an ethnic minority would say. Being racially abused isn't just being called a name.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

So only non ethnic Minority people are racists?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post

Names hurt, they hurt alot, workplace bullying and cyber bullying has caused suicides. Fact.
    I've listened to Les Twentyman talk about this a couple of times and he provides some compelling examples.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    You think so? He is a show pony on the field. Apart from the Freo game many of his goals are soft/goal square type. Not sure he works hard enough either. He provides us with run we've needed but we gave up a bit for him.

Off field he has been a disaster. Classic example of a footballer that should keep his mouth shut apart from saying the cliches.
    I'm with you Chops. He comes to the club and the first time someone sticks a microphone in front of him in Bulldogs colors he mouths off at his former club and coach, then is forced to apologise. This latest issue demonstrates that he is clearly an A-grade moron - if any good can come of this he will knuckle down, shut the hell up and focus on getting a kick.

As for on-field he is far too hot and cold for my liking. I understand why we traded for him with his speed and ability to run and carry, but he is also a very poor decision-maker and is prone to panicking with the ball in hand. He has offered only a very slight upgrade from the Eagle circa 2009-10 up to this point, and quite frankly the Eagle was a far better finisher and gut-runner in his 06-08 prime.

I guess I've never been a Sherman fan and it probably clouds my judgement of him. But to racially villify someone in this supposedly enlighted age is proof that the bloke is a dimwit of the highest order. At least well done to him for acting so swiftly, bypassing the confidential mediation and taking full ownership of his stupidity. Who knows, something like this might end up being the making of him as a player and person.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    Being called a pommy B does not have even a tenth of the weight of history that black races have endured but I just don't know where to start with that one.

I just saw Sherman on the news. He appeared devastated and said how inappropriate it was given his close ties with guys like Djekerra, Hill and Jones. He has fully acknowledged he was wrong rather than attempt to justify it as banter, or undercut it by the old Wayne Carey,' IF I have offended anybody..' cop out line, and that is as it should be.
    Being called a pommy b and copping all the rest that came with it can be as bad if the person feels villified and besides do any of us know what he actually said?
    Whats the old saying? sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me?
    Isnt your statement racist in the affect of saying oh pommy b is ok but calling another race something is worse?
    Racist is racist you cant separate one racist statement from another just because of race. Thats racist in itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm with you Chops. He comes to the club and the first time someone sticks a microphone in front of him in Bulldogs colors he mouths off at his former club and coach, then is forced to apologise. This latest issue demonstrates that he is clearly an A-grade moron - if any good can come of this he will knuckle down, shut the hell up and focus on getting a kick.

As for on-field he is far too hot and cold for my liking. I understand why we traded for him with his speed and ability to run and carry, but he is also a very poor decision-maker and is prone to panicking with the ball in hand. He has offered only a very slight upgrade from the Eagle circa 2009-10 up to this point, and quite frankly the Eagle was a far better finisher and gut-runner in his 06-08 prime.

I guess I've never been a Sherman fan and it probably clouds my judgement of him. But to racially villify someone in this supposedly enlighted age is proof that the bloke is a dimwit of the highest order. At least well done to him for acting so swiftly, bypassing the confidential mediation and taking full ownership of his stupidity. Who knows, something like this might end up being the making of him as a player and person.
    Has his onfield form got anything to do with this?
    Plenty of cement heads in football, clubs dont want them in front of a mike but the press do, they will do anything to get a stupid statement from a footballer who isnt the brightest spark.

Seems he has said something silly ,you dont like him so bring his football abillity into it and pick on that also.
    I think this is just a thread on his stupid verbals not his football abillity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Seems he has said something silly ,you dont like him so bring his football abillity into it and pick on that also.
    I think this is just a thread on his stupid verbals not his football abillity.
    Fair call, although I was responding to the on-going discussion about his on-field worth which is contained within this thread. Fair enough to argue that this is not central to the specific issue at hand today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The criteria for the famous Rocket 'no dick head' rule might need some rework.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is only the in house know what was said, was it name calling ? was it repeated all day? was it different names every time?
    Was it more than name calling? I dont think any of us can give a real opinion on whether it was an appropriate sentance unless we know what was said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The criteria for the famous Rocket 'no dick head' rule might need some rework.
    Given that I believe a fair percentage of the general population are, if we stuck to that rule we wouldn't be able to field a good team.