Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman gets 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The criteria for the famous Rocket 'no dick head' rule might need some rework.
    Love that staement GVGjr made me laugh when i think of some of our champions we would never have had

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Being called a pommy b and copping all the rest that came with it can be as bad if the person feels villified and besides do any of us know what he actually said?
    Whats the old saying? sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me?
    Isnt your statement racist in the affect of saying oh pommy b is ok but calling another race something is worse?
    Racist is racist you cant separate one racist statement from another just because of race. Thats racist in itself.
    Wow this is such a hot potato.
    Hard to even wade in.
    Ledge, you're saying basically that you copped it too and then got together after the game and had a beer and a laugh. I imagine a lot of those insults would have really hurt.
    But maybe you got to meet your tormentors and realised they didn't really mean it personally.

What if you weren't even allowed into the bar because you were black?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman banned for vilification

I wonder how Josh Hill, Brennan Stack, Nathan Djerrkura, Zephi Skinner, and Liam Jones feel about Sherman's comments.

I can't believe there are still people today who dont comprehend how ignorant and hurtful comments like this are.

Sherman is lucky he wasn't sacked, and personally I will find it uncomfortable to support a team that he is a member of from now on.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Australians are generally racist in some form or another. Half the time they dont even know they are doing it. Yet in a public forum they like to wear the political correctness hat.

Post Thanks / Like

Being called a pommy b and copping all the rest that came with it can be as bad if the person feels villified and besides do any of us know what he actually said?
    Whats the old saying? sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me?
    Isnt your statement racist in the affect of saying oh pommy b is ok but calling another race something is worse?
    Racist is racist you cant separate one racist statement from another just because of race. Thats racist in itself.
    Your own statement said that being described as a pommy b was a plus not a minus. For what it's worth, if a person feels offended, that is good enough for me to see it as vilification. You are saying you did not view it as an insult, ok, that's your experience and view.

However it's just not possible to overlook history. Your English heritage has not meant you have had basic human rights denied - the ability to marry who you like, go to the same schools as your peers, even have to use separate toilets, be refused service in coffee shops or bars. These are all experiences of black people within living memory. That is why insults based on race have a completely different connotation to ridiculing someone who has freckles, or is fat, or any of the other arguments that get trotted out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    According to Anderson, all parties agreed to suspension.

If person vilified does not agree, it goes to the tribunal
    Does this mean the AFL did have some input into the decision, or in the very least had to OK it at their end?

Overall I think it's fair and sends the message loud and clear that this sort of behaviour won't be tolerated. An example had to be made. As an aside, I'm sure if it just happened to be someone like Milne or Didak who was the culprit we'd be screaming for a life ban.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I wonder how Josh Hill, Brennan Stack, Nathan Djerrkura, Zephi Skinner, and Liam Jones feel about Sherman's comments.

I can't believe there are still people today who dont comprehend how ignorant and hurtful comments like this are.

Sherman is lucky he wasn't sacked, and personally I will find it uncomfortable to support a team that he is a member of from now on.
    Whilst not for one second condoning his actions I don't believe you could reasonably have your career terminated for that stupid action as an isolated incident. Once it goes to mediation and you apologise and show remorse then you can't be terminated.
    A suspension is the correct start with this.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    Your own statement said that being described as a pommy b was a plus not a minus. For what it's worth, if a person feels offended, that is good enough for me to see it as vilification. You are saying you did not view it as an insult, ok, that's your experience and view.

However it's just not possible to overlook history. Your English heritage has not meant you have had basic human rights denied - the ability to marry who you like, go to the same schools as your peers, even have to use separate toilets, be refused service in coffee shops or bars. These are all experiences of black people within living memory. That is why insults based on race have a completely different connotation to ridiculing someone who has freckles, or is fat, or any of the other arguments that get trotted out.
    Yes its race where did i mention fat freckle etc no matter what race if it is, insulting a race it is racist,
    Apart from that do you know what was said? none of us do. Was it to do with what your pointing out ?
    Yes your right i am proud of my heritage personally but others see it different. I suppose you could say I hardened up, take it and give it back.

In fact I think these people you talk about should be more prouder than all of us from what they have been through and how they were strong enough to break through.
    Dont take it as an insult take it as a compliment.
    Interesting debate.
    I heard a story on the coloured in America can call themselves a certain name but if a white calls them it , its akin to commitiing murder, thats kind of wierd to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Whilst not for one second condoning his actions I don't believe you could reasonably have your career terminated for that stupid action as an isolated incident. Once it goes to mediation and you apologise and show remorse then you can't be terminated.
    A suspension is the correct start with this.
    I agree, I am finding that being hard to follow a club because that happened from one player who the club quickly agreed it was wrong a bit harsh.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any chance we can merge this thread with the one on the unleashed board?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Yes its race where did i mention fat freckle etc no matter what race if it is, insulting a race it is racist,
    Apart from that do you know what was said? none of us do. Was it to do with what your pointing out ?
    Yes your right i am proud of my heritage personally but others see it different. I suppose you could say I hardened up, take it and give it back.

In fact I think these people you talk about should be more prouder than all of us from what they have been through and how they were strong enough to break through.
    Dont take it as an insult take it as a compliment.
    Interesting debate.
    I heard a story on the coloured in America can call themselves a certain name but if a white calls them it , its akin to commitiing murder, thats kind of wierd to me.
    Ledge, I realize you didn't mention fat, freckles, I'm trying to say that racial abuse is different from just abuse. It's rude to call someone fat, it's rude to call them a Pommy B. However fat people, freckled people, pommy people haven't suffered systematic discrimination..built into laws of society like the examples I mentioned. I don't know if I can express myself any better than that so maybe we will just have to accept our differing points of view on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    And here's my mum telling me all those years ' sticks and stones ...'

The world's gone mad.
    Yeah those were the days!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I can't accept that calling someone names is worse than elbowing someone in the head
    You just don't get it do you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post
    Whilst I certainly don't condone what Justin has said and done, I certainly HOPE we don't fully hang him out to dry in this board. Suerly we have ALL said or done things that we aren't proud of & regret.
    This. The guy made a mistake, but no one died. Give him his whack and move on.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Good response from the club. Stupid action on Sherman's part and he will pay the price long after the suspension has ended. I'm glad that all the stupid things I did as a 24 year old never found their way into the papers - as bulldog supporters we should get behind the kid when he is back in bulldog colors.