Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman banned for vilification

Sherman...trade bait anyone? It's that serious for mine. The West is all about cultural inclusivity.
    Still, if he can take his medicine and learn from it, all fine and good. Maybe Jones, DJ and some of the others should sit down and talk to him, so he can walk in their shoes.
    At least he put his hand up and took it like a man.

Andrew, the worst thing is it doesn't really sound like one moment does it.
    I knew from the moment I saw his Chippendale style photos all over the net he was going to be a handful.
    he better work damn hard and keep his nose clean.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Sherman...trade bait anyone? It's that serious for mine. The West is all about cultural inclusivity.
    No way.

I knew from the moment I saw his Chippendale style photos all over the net he was going to be a handful.
    According to who, Damo Barrett? The beacon of journalistic integrity that he is. Still the point remains - he made a mistake, and as you said, put his hand up and copped the penalty. If we wiped our slate of all our players involved in regrettable incidents, how many would be left?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman gets 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    Ledge, I realize you didn't mention fat, freckles, I'm trying to say that racial abuse is different from just abuse. It's rude to call someone fat, it's rude to call them a Pommy B. However fat people, freckled people, pommy people haven't suffered systematic discrimination..built into laws of society like the examples I mentioned. I don't know if I can express myself any better than that so maybe we will just have to accept our differing points of view on this.
    Does that mean we can racially vilify 10 year "black" people as they would not have seen any systematic discrimination?

Post Thanks / Like

Still, if he can take his medicine and learn from it, all fine and good. Maybe Jones, DJ and some of the others should sit down and talk to him, so he can walk in their shoes.
    The press conference and him and the club offering the suspension would seem to indicate that he has acknowledged it was wrong. The "volunteer" work that he will do will allow him to walk in their shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

The four weeks will pass quickly, the $5000 will be forgotten, but Sherman will be boooed and taunted for the rest of his career by the crowd. He has really screwed himself over.

On another note:
    Do I think the four weeks are harsh? No! Look don't get me wrong, anything verbal bounces off me, I honestly couldn't give a toss about teases and people trying to get under my skin. But as I'm trying to teach my son at the minute: If you are wearing a uniform then you have lost certain rights as a individual and are representing something else. In this case Sherm was representing the Western Bulldogs Footbal Club. Somethings are bigger than the individual. Bad PR is bad business in any field.

Sorry to get off topic, but where the hell is all this pace that everyone is saying Sherman has????? Nearly every kick I see him have on the run is a last minute rush to get off as not to get tackled by someone who has just ran him down.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been dealt with to the satisfaction of the AFL, the Dogs and the Suns so there is no grounds for this action.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman gets 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by arkie View Post
    How do you know it was made toward and indigenous player?
    I'm sure you know now that it was reported in the press, and Sherman himself said that 3 of his best mates at the club at DJ, Josh Hill and Liam Jones (I think!).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    The four weeks will pass quickly, the $5000 will be forgotten, but Sherman will be boooed and taunted for the rest of his career by the crowd. He has really screwed himself over.

On another note:
    Do I think the four weeks are harsh? No! Look don't get me wrong, anything verbal bounces off me, I honestly couldn't give a toss about teases and people trying to get under my skin. But as I'm trying to teach my son at the minute: If you are wearing a uniform then you have lost certain rights as a individual and are representing something else. In this case Sherm was representing the Western Bulldogs Footbal Club. Somethings are bigger than the individual. Bad PR is bad business in any field.

Sorry to get off topic, but where the hell is all this pace that everyone is saying Sherman has????? Nearly every kick I see him have on the run is a last minute rush to get off as not to get tackled by someone who has just ran him down.

Was Monkhurt booed for the rest of his career for a one-off incident? Spider Everitt?

For the next 4 weeks he will be able to hear the abuse and boos from spectators at the VFL

Post Thanks / Like

No way. For one incident and his first offence?

The Western Bulldogs should be advocates for cultural inclusion, as we represent one of the the most diverse geographic areas in the country.

If we want to attract supporters from different backgrounds away from the round ball game, we needed to be very clear with our messaging surrounding Justin - and we have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    If it was all day and if they were aware (and it seems some knew by full-time) then they could have stopped it earlier, couldn't they?
    You wanted our players to 'do something about it' while the match was still in progress? Are you serious?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    You wanted our players to 'do something about it' while the match was still in progress? Are you serious?
    If it was "going on all day" a quiet word at the end of a quarter isn't that hard, is it?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    If it was "going on all day" a quiet word at the end of a quarter isn't that hard, is it?
    Who's to say that didn't happen? And you are assuming that the vilification was going on all day when it might have only happened twice.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's dangerous to listen to one journalist & ASSUME it was happening all day. We all know how journalists speculate and sometimes just outright make stuff up. They are not held accountable for what they say or print, even when it's rubbish.

Re. Sherman. I'm disappointed in what he did and for tarnishing our club. I think it has been dealt with and now we need to focus on beating Melbourne on Friday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've listened to Les Twentyman talk about this a couple of times and he provides some compelling examples.
    Workplace laws have changed recently in Victoria because of workplace harrassment.

Sherman did the wrong thing and is being punished for it in a manner all parties have agreed to. I don't get the call for his sacking/trading - hopefully he learns and moves on from the incident.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    I think it's dangerous to listen to one journalist & ASSUME it was happening all day. We all know how journalists speculate and sometimes just outright make stuff up. They are not held accountable for what they say or print, even when it's rubbish.

Re. Sherman. I'm disappointed in what he did and for tarnishing our club. I think it has been dealt with and now we need to focus on beating Melbourne on Friday night.
    I agree. How would Barrett know? Unless he's being fed information by a player (which would be forbidden), or a runner, or was on the ground himself, he's making assumptions.

I would like to know if the leaders did say anything to Justin during the game, or if the age-old male reticence to criticise a mate, eg driving too fast or while drunk, occurred.

The photo of Gia speaking with Wilkinson at the end of the game indicates to me that he was trying to soothe him, and Sherman was apologising then as well. But of course it was too late then.