'$5million' Dog Fight

Michael Warner From: Herald Sun September 09, 2011

WESTERN Bulldogs agitator Paul Dimattina is preparing to unveil a "white knight" in his bid to unseat David Smorgon as president.

Dimattina has told backers he has secured a commitment of up to $5 million from a Melbourne businessman who barracks for the Dogs.

Smorgon has previously scoffed at suggestions a rival ticket could raise the money to wipe the Bulldogs' debt.

"If they come along with a bank cheque for $4 million, they will have my resignation immediately," Smorgon told the Herald Sun in June.

"I will gladly step down, as I'm sure every other board member would."

Dimattina, 36, has made it clear the money will only come if Smorgon steps aside.

The former Bulldogs star and restaurant owner, who did not return calls yesterday, is expected to make his move as soon as the club secures a new senior coach.

He will first seek a meeting with Smorgon - club president since 1996 - in the hope he will walk without a fight.

But the identity of Dimattina's supposed backers remains a mystery. It is also unclear who would assume the job of president.

Former Bulldogs champion Simon Beasley says he has no involvement in the ticket.

Ex-Bulldogs president Nick Columb has also ruled out an interest.

Dimattina told the Herald Sun in June: "We're not trying to cause a coup. We don't want bloodshed. This isn't a power trip or an ego trip. It is to benefit a football club.

"I just want to make sure that the club is in such a strong position that it is thriving and not hanging on by a tightrope.

"I am hoping my son (Kai) plays there in 10 or 11 years. He loves the club."

Smorgon declined to comment yesterday, but hit out at plotting forces before Saturday's clash with Fremantle at Etihad Stadium where he announced the appointment of former Myer chief financial officer Gary Kent as a new board member.

"There have been threats to this board for several months," Smorgon said. "But they had their chance to stand for the board late last year and didn't put up their hands.

"We have a process in place to ensure we get the right people representing the club."

--------------------------------------