Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So You're An Eastern Western Bulldog

First up, I’m declaring some bias here and nominating my seven year old daughter as this week’s Rising Star Award nominee.

As now occurs each year at this time of year, my daughter’s primary school declares a ‘footy day’ where all the kids and teachers get in the spirit of AFL finals week donning their favourite team colours and participating in a range of footy related activities and lunching out on pies and hot dogs.

Anyway, today is that day.

Dropping my daughter off to school this morning brought back memories of the many years at school where I would find myself in a similar position, that is, being the lone Bulldog amongst what appeared a school made up from nothing more than Hawks and Bombers.

Throughout my years at primary and secondary school there were no other Bulldog comrades who I could look to share some support from the ribbing and ridicule that went with the turf over the years. I did have a mate who bravely declared himself a Saint, so together we did ride some bumps together but generally I just learnt to go it alone and grin and bear it from kids that were fortunate enough to be born into their given team playing off in a grand final every other year.

At its worst it was tough as a young kid out east following the Bulldogs, in a region where there was no other kid that would share the load of flying the Bulldog flag. I still have memories of regularly coming home with my dad from a Saturday afternoon following another belting, crying myself to sleep and hating this Club for putting me through the ignominy of it all, and with the thought of having to roll up to school again and defend the Club. I should declare that there was a brief period, I was around 8 or 9, when I relented and parked my beloved guernsey in favour of a Big V jumper, just seemed a safer bet at the time, but it wasn’t long before I questioned my own loyalty and the Big V strip was shelved forever.

Not sure whatever happened to my Saint mate, hopefully he made it through. For me, it probably explains the chip on my shoulder and why I find myself working for minorities and the underprivileged.

On appearance not much would appear to have changed over the years out east. As with my own school days, my little girl now finds herself equally confronted with the typical majority set of Hawks, Bombers and Blues. It does feel like I have cruelly handed over the baton to her as she seeks to find her own way of dealing with the developing arrogance that goes with the ‘privileged’ class of AFL football fans.

I need not worry, as if she was going into battle with Boydy and Crossy, steadfast and proud, decked out in everything red, white and blue, she entered the school grounds to take on the charge of what it is to be an Eastern Western Bulldog.

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So You're An Eastern Western Bulldog

Great stuff Doc, this is excellent character building for the young lady in question and I second the nomination

Post Thanks / Like

I am a reformed Northern Western Bulldogs turned Eastern. I'm proudly fighting the good fight in enemy territory that is full of shiny new brown and gold scarves with the price tags still on them. I have my kids by my side - if I have to suffer nearly 40 years of mediocrity laced with heartbreak, they can drink some concrete and harden up as well

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Love it!!

Being a born and breed Western Suburbs chick I never went thru it but I am sure its character building

Post Thanks / Like

My experience is similar to Doc26, although in slightly different circumstances having been raised in a strong Fitzroy family background before converting to the WB at age 17. I have witnessed all the highs and lows of both clubs but maintain my passion for the red, white and blue. We continue to live in hope with Brendan McCartney's appointment breathing new life into our Club.

Post Thanks / Like

Doc26 I suffered the same fate going to primary school in Geelong where 80% of the school supported the cats. every year for class photos I would don the now retro footscray jumper and have at em' as EJ might say.

My son goes to school and does Auskick here in Brunswick and has one friend who is a Bulldogs supporter so they have each others backs at school and at Auskick, much more than I ever had when I was his age.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I was one of the very few in my primary school who barracked for the Bulldogs. I still remember being followed around on a Monday morning by a crowd of mean kids chanting "What happened to Footscraaaay?" "What happened to Footscraaaay?"

But I did wear my long sleeved 'retro' woollen guernsey with Andrew Pursers no. 1 & signature on the back proudly. And I think it toughened me up too.

Post Thanks / Like

I was related to the only other kids that followed the Bulldogs at my Primary School in Mooroolbark. When it came to back-up in a fight, my two younger sisters weren't that helpful really.

I did manage to convert one classmate along the way, but sadly he was even shorter than me.

Proudly wore the duffle coat with "Wheels'" name and number on the back, win lose or draw during those cold winter mornings in the outer east.

Growing up in Mooroolbark with red hair and following the doggies is certainly character building.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

A fellow Eastern Western Bulldog, in a family full of them (two sisters, my parents, cousins etc.).

I remember the primary school footy days, with our the Bulldogs fortunate to have two families worth of supporters, so 5 all up. Meanwhile the Rugby contingent had just as many.

I am 22, so went through year 6 listening to the taunts of bandwagoning Essendon supporters, the team which seems to dominate people in my age group and area. If there is a more consistently arrogant, ignorant and in your face club I am yet to find it, as all these years I have copped it from them. Round 21 in 2000 was sweet though.

I've been doing my bit for the cause though, and have converted several friends, and sold numerous memberships. Just not sure how many more "character building" seasons I can take though (and yes I realise at only 22 I am on the lower end of the scale here).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha.

My brother and I were the only doggies supporters in our whole school.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic post.
    I recall clearly from the very early 80's fronting up to Noble Park primary and then Harrisfield Primary school on a Monday morning knowing full well there would be a bunch of kids waiting at the gate to remind me how shit the Dogs performed on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are flying the flag in WA, where they hold a similar day on the Friday before every Western Derby. They are pretty much the only kids not wearing purple or, shudder!, blue-and-gold. My eldest actually savours being different, and sticks it to the Eagles fans wherever he can. Unfortunately, I've yet to teach him some rationality , and he started giving it out thick after they belted us earlier in the year, and he came home a bit the worse for wear…

There was another time a few Eagles players rocked up to school assembly, and he's called out, “Eagles suck! Doggies are the best!!”

I agree it's character building, this makes the most passionate supporter, in my view.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny I went to school in spotswood and all the kids were either Hawthorne or bombers supporters aswell.. No matter where u go but I didn't find the need to defend my club! Still remember chris grant serving cereal for breakfast one Thursday morning in our assembly area

Post Thanks / Like

These days I live in the West and my daughter who started school in prep also copped the same. The teacher asked the students to stick their hand up for Carlton, Essendon Hawks and Collingwood which just about covered everyone, except my daughter with the lone hand for the doggies.

When I hop on the train to make my way to Eithad I am pleasantly surprised these days to see so many Bulldogs supporters. 15 years ago there were very few on the train.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post