Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So You're An Eastern Western Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Being closer to the Belgrave/Lilydale line now when I go on there occasionally to get to the footy always a relatively good number of a Dogs fans going in and coming back (spoke to a Dogs fan I know at the footy a few weeks back about the Adelaide loss on the way home). It is certainly a lot more quicker now for me going in and coming home being a little more closer to the city.
    I was coming home on the train on the Belgrave/Lilydale line after the Melbourne game a few weeks ago when a group of young men boarded the train at Box Hill (bus replacement from Burnley to Box Hill that night). They had been to the footy and a few of them had enjoyed a few drinks when one of them started winding up one of his mates by saying "Don't you play for the Bulldogs?" "Isn't your name Mitch?" "I've played as many AFL games as you have"

It was Mitch Honeychurch. He kept playing a straight bat to his mate's taunts until I produced a photo of him from the Bulldogs App on my phone.

I didn't talk to him a lot as he was out with his mates just having a good time, but he seems very level headed and humble.

He was saying that it was his first weekend off in 3 months and he chose to spend it with these "dickheads".

Mitch is now in that elite group of 2 with Harvey Stevens as the only Bulldogs players I have seen on the Belgrave/Lilydale line.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    I was coming home on the train on the Belgrave/Lilydale line after the Melbourne game a few weeks ago when a group of young men boarded the train at Box Hill (bus replacement from Burnley to Box Hill that night). They had been to the footy and a few of them had enjoyed a few drinks when one of them started winding up one of his mates by saying "Don't you play for the Bulldogs?" "Isn't your name Mitch?" "I've played as many AFL games as you have"

It was Mitch Honeychurch. He kept playing a straight bat to his mate's taunts until I produced a photo of him from the Bulldogs App on my phone.

I didn't talk to him a lot as he was out with his mates just having a good time, but he seems very level headed and humble.

He was saying that it was his first weekend off in 3 months and he chose to spend it with these "dickheads".

Mitch is now in that elite group of 2 with Harvey Stevens as the only Bulldogs players I have seen on the Belgrave/Lilydale line.
    That's great craigsahibee. Yeah Mitch I believe was playing at Vermont I'm pretty sure before he got recruited to us. Greenwood was from around there too. What was Harvey Stevens like. That must of been a great seeing one of our 1954 premiership heroes.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

That's great craigsahibee. Yeah Mitch I believe was playing at Vermont I'm pretty sure before he got recruited to us. Greenwood was from around there too. What was Harvey Stevens like. That must of been a great seeing one of our 1954 premiership heroes.
    I know Harvey's son Ross through my time at Mooroolbark Footy Club. Harvey is a true gentlemen who I have had the pleasure of talking to on a couple of occasions.

Harvey had been unwell recently, so Brendan McCartney grabbed Michael Talia after training one day and they drove out to Harvey's place out near Yarra Glen to catch up with him. It's stories like this that convince me we have the right man in charge.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

I know Harvey's son Ross through my time at Mooroolbark Footy Club. Harvey is a true gentlemen who I have had the pleasure of talking to on a couple of occasions.

Harvey had been unwell recently, so Brendan McCartney grabbed Michael Talia after training one day and they drove out to Harvey's place out near Yarra Glen to catch up with him. It's stories like this that convince me we have the right man in charge.
    That's a great story about Macca. I hope Harvey is doing Ok. Had a driving lesson today and while driving through Surrey Hills saw someone with a Doggies cap on which was great to see and made me happy.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

You are right. I am certain Brendan would have taught Michael so many lessons about footy and life on the drive to and from Harvey's place.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Let's hope Mitch can join the Bulldogpremiershipplayersseenbychraigsahibeonatrain.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great story about Macca. I hope Harvey is doing Ok. Had a driving lesson today and while driving through Surrey Hills saw someone with a Doggies cap on which was great to see and made me happy.
    Harvey is doing it pretty tough at the moment with congestion on the lungs. Both Harvey and his late father were captain at the Bulldogs and he is highly regarded at the Club. Until this year he and his wife Alva have been regulars at our games. We do wish him a speedy recovery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Harvey is doing it pretty tough at the moment with congestion on the lungs. Both Harvey and his late father were captain at the Bulldogs and he is highly regarded at the Club. Until this year he and his wife Alva have been regulars at our games. We do wish him a speedy recovery.
    Hopefully Harvey is doing ok now.

I have to say though when I been out and about in the east I have seen quite a few Doggies stuff (bumper stickers etc) around. We really need to for anyone new to the game outside the west also try and also attract these people to the Bulldog brand as well as new people in the west.

Post Thanks / Like

As this was my 2nd year as a Doggies member and the only one in my family you get to know fellow Dogs people when you go to the footy more.

I know a few passionate Doggie people I know from the east and elsewhere (2 people in Blackburn, 1 who went to school out in the east but lives in Craigieburn now, one in Sunbury and another fan which I'm not sure exactly where his from). These are guys in the standing room area that I know and meet up at games at half time. Also have a 2nd cousin who's a Dogs fan who lived in Mill Park.

Would be great sometime next year to do a WOOF meet up at game.

Post Thanks / Like

Three AFL scouts from different clubs were watching 18 year old Pat McKenna of Gisborne kick nine goals in a senior game in the Bendigo league recently. McKenna has also kicked 16 goals twice this year in junior and school games.

He is a very talented kid who is also captain of the Australian Under 19 cricket team.

This kid is also excellent in reading the play as a defender.

Love to see him at the dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies.. the last post should have been posted to another thread.

Post Thanks / Like

If the 2015 East West Day falls between the Jan 19th-Jan 26th then I won't be able to make it as ill be away on holiday in San Francisco. Would be nice to do an East West Day Woof catch up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gohardorgohome View Post
    Apologies.. the last post should have been posted to another thread.
    You can always delete the post and post it in the correct forum ghogh.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

If the 2015 East West Day falls between the Jan 19th-Jan 26th then I won't be able to make it as ill be away on holiday in San Francisco. Would be nice to do an East West Day Woof catch up.
    Love San Fran, its one of those places you go too and after a week you think it is enough and when you leave you immediately want to go back.
    Some really big musts in SF,happy to PM if you want Ed, although we have a few posters who have been there many more times than me and would have a better insight.
    I'm also heading back there albeit in 10 months.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

15. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=KT31;409169]Love San Fran, its one of those places you go too and after a week you think it is enough and when you leave you immediately want to go back.
    Some really big musts in SF,happy to PM if you want Ed, although we have a few posters who have been there many more times than me and would have a better insight.
    I'm also heading back there albeit in 10 months.[/QUOTE

You will be missing the dogs play finals!

17. Likes Eastdog, KT31 liked this post