Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So You're An Eastern Western Bulldog

Doc26, I think I can second your 'working with minorities' hypothesis -- in my work with plenty of NGOs and UN agencies, I meet a disproportionate number of Dogs fans amongst the Aussies in the industry. I suppose we identify with the disadvantaged and/or the working class.

I was abroad four years ago on Prelim final day trying to watch the damn thing on the net and wearing my colours, and my Swiss colleagues were nonplussed about the whole thing and asked me about the Dogs. I said "we're the best team in the country and going to win the championship again this year". They all nodded sagely. I think they thought it was soccer.

If it happened this year I could at least say "oh, its the Australian Prime Minister's team".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Unfortunately my daughter has come home scarred from her school's 'footy day' today. We're managing it the best we can but right now it is overwhelming for us.

For any in the teaching profession, like AndrewP6, I'm looking for some advice as to what recourse we might have as I fear my little one has been subjected to abuse by her magpie loving grade 2 teacher that warrants a form of punishment by the education department, like being forced to watch a St Kilda game ad free.

Coming home in the car with her tonight, unannounced, she launches straight into the Collingwood anthem. Can you believe it ? Her teacher has taken it upon herself to brainwash the class, teaching them to the word a sound akin to running ones nails down a blackboard.

Is this behavior accepted in the profession ?
    Sorry Doc, but this works both ways ... As a Principal of a primary school, I make it my ambition to 'convert' at least one child per year to the Bulldogs ... Call it brain-washing if you will, but it is my life's ambition to succeed. One stinkin' Eagles supporter at a time.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Sorry Doc, but this works both ways ... As a Principal of a primary school, I make it my ambition to 'convert' at least one child per year to the Bulldogs ... Call it brain-washing if you will, but it is my life's ambition to succeed. One stinkin' Eagles supporter at a time.
    I would hope that you might up your work rate by 100% to at least two a year in the West!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Doc26, I think I can second your 'working with minorities' hypothesis -- in my work with plenty of NGOs and UN agencies, I meet a disproportionate number of Dogs fans amongst the Aussies in the industry.
    I must be working for the wrong INGO then as I still find myself to be the lone Bulldog in the place with the possible exception of one country program manager who is generally out of the country.

If it wasn't for WOOF I'd have no one to talk to throughout the day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Ocean Grove was a success story for our new Coach, Brendan McCartney who took its local football club to 4 premierships before embarking on a successful assistants role at AFL level. You might want to check out our country supporter groups for further contact with doggie fans.
    I believe there is a supporters group in Geelong for example.
    Yeah, my Dad used to play for Ocean Grove, but that was a long time before they were ever good haha! He's met McCartney and is pretty stoked about the new coach appointment.

I do know the Barwon Bulldogs are in Geelong, I was a member for a few years in mid noughties and it was really good! Then I kind of forgot in the last few years but I should get back into it. Thanks for reminding me actually!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    I was related to the only other kids that followed the Bulldogs at my Primary School in Mooroolbark. ....
    That's where I grew up (born in Footscray though). My younger brother had a couple of Footscray supporting mates through school, but not I. Remember one day the 12 teams were chalked onto the ground and you had to put a 1 or 2 cent piece under your team's name. Barely anything for the Bulldogs For some reason Richmond was popular out there back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsBulldog View Post
    That's where I grew up (born in Footscray though). My younger brother had a couple of Footscray supporting mates through school, but not I. Remember one day the 12 teams were chalked onto the ground and you had to put a 1 or 2 cent piece under your team's name. Barely anything for the Bulldogs For some reason Richmond was popular out there back then.
    I agree. They're a lot of dormant Tigers in the east. They really are a sleeping giant that lot. Just wait until they start stringing some decent seasons together. There's still plenty of room left on the Richmond bandwagon.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up a pies fan but none of my family was into it so I lost interest after primary. Was into field hockey. Was good at AFL but too many bogans where I grew up.

I always remember those silver Bulldogs stickers. I had one on a folder and it captivated me for some reason.

Lived in Asia for years so not into it. Then I saw year of the dawgs...Fell in love with the club. Always go for the underdog.

Sorry, but I hate it how people try to convert kids. My uncle was always making these fake contracts and trying to force us to barrack for Essendon. Typical.

In my family mum, being a Bolshe catholic teacher, devised a system whereby you were assigned a club depending on who won the premiership that year. Then, when you were old enough to choose for yourself, you could. So systematic!
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 22-09-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I grew up a pies fan but none of my family was into it so I lost interest after primary. Was into field hockey. Was good at AFL but too many bogans where I grew up.

I always remember those silver Bulldogs stickers. I had one on a folder and it captivated me for some reason.

Lived in Asia for years so not into it. Then I saw year of the dawgs...Fell in love with the club. Always go for the underdog.

Sorry, but I hate it how people try to convert kids. My uncle was always making these fake contracts and trying to force us to barrack for Essendon. Typical.

In my family mum, being a Bolshe catholic teacher, devised a system whereby you were assigned a club depending on who won the premiership that year. Then, when you were old enough to choose for yourself, you could. So systematic!
    It's amazing that you support the dogs really. I like the way you found the dogs rather than was brain washed by a fanatical father (sic) family like mine.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's amazing that you support the dogs really. I like the way you found the dogs rather than was brain washed by a fanatical father (sic) family like mine.
    This club is full of character, I read up about the club history, became a member, get right into it.
    My sister lives within viewing distance of Whitten Oval so I'm over that way a fair bit.
    I'm another bleeding heart teacher....
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful. I can so relate!

I grew up almost literally under the VFL Park grandstand. There wasn't a lot of love for the Bulldogs in Mulgrave during the mid 70s. Those daggy, primary school class photos were awash with Magpie, Hawk and Tiger colours. Blaagghh. Then there was me, the lone, perennially baggable supporter of poor old Footscray. Still, I proudly wore my long-sleeved Doggy jumper with the red collar. I'd rock up to school in it after the most fearful hidings, and boy were there a few of those back then!!

But now the worm has turned. I am lucky enough to be a teacher with ready access to scores of people with no fixed AFL allegiance. Looking after a refugee program in the northern suburbs, I do my bit for our recruiting department. At the beginning of the year, I suggested to my Year 12s that, whilst I would never exercise prejudice in my assessment of their work, it was perhaps only natural that I - on a subconscious level of course - may feel slightly more generous towards somebody with whom I shared some common ground...(cough)...say, in terms of the football team that they support. The next lesson, I was confronted by a class of Iraqis brandishing Bulldog stickers on their folders. One boy even bought a Footscray jumper to wear at an out-of-uniform fundraiser the following day!! I appointed him my deputy-in-charge of the class, and any requests (to go to lockers, etc) had to go through him. That, and I insisted on a guard of honour as he walked into the classroom.
    Crumbs!

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the emoticon for man-admiration? You ******* legend! One stinkin' Eagles supporter at a time, eh? Brilliant work mateā€¦

Now, could you please apply for the Principal's job at Charthouse Primary in Rockingham?

As for Doc26, there's only one thing to do, mate: Teach her to sing the Dogs song over the top of the Collingwood one. If she gets in trouble, buy her an icecream to assuage her guilt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I went to school in West Essendon. There were two Dogs fans, the rest followed the Bombers, or Carlton. In the entire school. Fair to say there were some tough days out in the yard. It was character building though, while also inducing a sense of hatred for all fans of those Clubs that will be passed down in every generation of my family.
    I was always a dogs supporter before primary school (I have photos of me days old in Bulldogs booties care of relatives), but then was brainwashed into barracking for Essendon by my prep teacher (I went to primary school in the north west). Bit of mix with the all of the teams the kids barracked for though, the majority were Bombers, but then I remember Carlton, Geelong, Hawthorn, the filth and Saints supporters in my class. I think I then changed my allegiances about 8 times from primary to the end of high school.

However, I went along with my parents to the Western Bulldogs Team of the Century function (dad is a mad doggies supporter and the son of a bulldogs footballer) and I saw the light. I promised my dad shortly afterwards that I would buy a membership when I could afford it (when I finished studying and got a full time job). And I did, and haven't missed a year since.

I'm not a teacher though (an accountant), so I'm not sure how I fit into the bulldogs personality mould. Love WW Biscuit's and Scraggers work thought, keep fighting the good fight guys!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W W Biscuit View Post
    Beautiful. I can so relate!

I grew up almost literally under the VFL Park grandstand. There wasn't a lot of love for the Bulldogs in Mulgrave during the mid 70s. Those daggy, primary school class photos were awash with Magpie, Hawk and Tiger colours. Blaagghh. Then there was me, the lone, perennially baggable supporter of poor old Footscray. Still, I proudly wore my long-sleeved Doggy jumper with the red collar. I'd rock up to school in it after the most fearful hidings, and boy were there a few of those back then!!
    Love it. Strangely comforting to know now I was not alone afterall in my childhood experience of growing up as a lone Bulldog out in the eastern corrdor, there have been many examples posted up all over the place, although didn't come across as many Magpie colours. For me it was more a flood of Bombers, Hawks and Tigers.

One thing coming through in this thread is just how many teachers we have who are Bulldog affiliated and who individually are doing their bit to build our membership base through a non endorsed Bulldog education program. Maybe this career path chosen goes back to the experience of growing up as a minority Bulldog. Love it. Provides some comfort knowing that our future is in pretty good shape.

Maybe collectively you guys could pull together a set curriculum under the table and have it rolled out on mass.

So who is willing to put their hand up to be our inaugural Minister of Propaganda and National Enlightenment ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Maybe collectively you guys could pull together a set curriculum under the table and have it rolled out on mass.

So who is willing to put their hand up to be our inaugural Minister of Propaganda and National Enlightenment ?
    Hey just run it past our PM for endorsement -- make it part of the Education Revolution or what not.