Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    PaddyWhack Guest

Re: So You're An Eastern Western Bulldog

What a great thread - I'm 37, grew up in Keilor and originally barracked for Sth Melbourne, purely because my Dad barracked for them (he was the only Sth supporter at his country PS as well). That lasted until Swannies went north, so we both switched over to the Dogs - from one footy powerhouse to another (Mum grew up in Footscray)! At school, Swans or Dogs made no difference, because living out that way in the 80s, every little b*stard followed Essendon, and Simon Madden briefly taught at my PS - still, that made our (rare) victories over them all the more sweet! My lifelong hatred of the red and black was born and continues to simmer away to this day - that game in 2000 (and the 2006 elim final!) are the highlights of my Dogs barracking career. There is something about being a Dogs supporter - it's easy to barrack for the more successful clubs, but following the Dogs builds character - it's just a bit difficult explaining that to a 10 year-old in 2011!

Post Thanks / Like

Grew up in the South Eastern suburbs, one of very few doggies fans, lots of Saints supporters in the schools I went to, including my slightly older brother. Pssssssss.

My kids inherited it from me (sorry, gave them no choice). They are very resilient when they are one of the small handful that turn up in doggies gear to their colours days at school. Both went off today as proud as punch wearing respectively Ben Hudson's signed traiing guernsey and Daniel Cross' signed training guernsey from the 2010 season. This generated an extra bit for each of them of pride in their team.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Hoddle st primary school right in the heart of the filth, must be why I have such broad shoulders now and it would take an extreme amount of work to get me mad.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    What's the emoticon for man-admiration? You ******* legend! One stinkin' Eagles supporter at a time, eh? Brilliant work mate…

Now, could you please apply for the Principal's job at Charthouse Primary in Rockingham?

As for Doc26, there's only one thing to do, mate: Teach her to sing the Dogs song over the top of the Collingwood one. If she gets in trouble, buy her an icecream to assuage her guilt.
    You betcha
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in Preston when I was an infant and then grew up in the Eastern Suburbs which is where I reside currently. Ive found that out East that there are quite a few Doggies fans including some of you on the forum. At my school in Wantirna there where a few Dogs fans in my year level. Ive never lived in Footscray or the Western Suburbs.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 05-02-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try being a South Aussie. I have my SANFL allegiances which I share with a few, but being the only dog growing up was tough. Being the only guy on the footy oval at trainings in a Dogs guernsey, the only one who knows about our lesser known players.

Is alright now. First training at a new club in a new locality. The club I play for is a mixture of small towns, with some residing the other side of the border in Western Vic. A couple more guys wearing Dogs gear on the track makes me feel better.

Post Thanks / Like

I was the only dog fan at my school in Syndal/Glen Waverley.

Having to defend my team everyday i think made me an even more determined follower of the red white and blue.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I grew up a pies fan but none of my family was into it so I lost interest after primary. Was into field hockey. Was good at AFL but too many bogans where I grew up.

I always remember those silver Bulldogs stickers. I had one on a folder and it captivated me for some reason.

Lived in Asia for years so not into it. Then I saw year of the dawgs...Fell in love with the club. Always go for the underdog.

Sorry, but I hate it how people try to convert kids. My uncle was always making these fake contracts and trying to force us to barrack for Essendon. Typical.

In my family mum, being a Bolshe catholic teacher, devised a system whereby you were assigned a club depending on who won the premiership that year. Then, when you were old enough to choose for yourself, you could. So systematic!
    Good story there Ghost Dog. I also found the Doggies on my own as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon these days that the Eastern Suburbs where l have mostly lived and grew up varies in support of clubs and it is really a mix. A couple of nights ago at my local fish and chip shop in Forest Hill I saw someone with a Bulldog jumper on and on the Eastern Freeway saw a car with Bulldogs stickers on it. I think supporters of clubs a pretty much found everywhere these days.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 06-05-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I reckon these days that the Eastern Suburbs where l have mostly lived and grew up varies in support of clubs and it is really a mix. A couple of nights ago at my local fish and chip shop in Forest Hill I saw someone with a Bulldog jumper on and on the Eastern Freeway saw a car with Bulldogs stickers on it. I think supporters of clubs a pretty much found everywhere these days.
    Probably me driving to my Mum's place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    First up, I’m declaring some bias here and nominating my seven year old daughter as this week’s Rising Star Award nominee.

As now occurs each year at this time of year, my daughter’s primary school declares a ‘footy day’ where all the kids and teachers get in the spirit of AFL finals week donning their favourite team colours and participating in a range of footy related activities and lunching out on pies and hot dogs.

Anyway, today is that day.

Dropping my daughter off to school this morning brought back memories of the many years at school where I would find myself in a similar position, that is, being the lone Bulldog amongst what appeared a school made up from nothing more than Hawks and Bombers.

Throughout my years at primary and secondary school there were no other Bulldog comrades who I could look to share some support from the ribbing and ridicule that went with the turf over the years. I did have a mate who bravely declared himself a Saint, so together we did ride some bumps together but generally I just learnt to go it alone and grin and bear it from kids that were fortunate enough to be born into their given team playing off in a grand final every other year.

At its worst it was tough as a young kid out east following the Bulldogs, in a region where there was no other kid that would share the load of flying the Bulldog flag. I still have memories of regularly coming home with my dad from a Saturday afternoon following another belting, crying myself to sleep and hating this Club for putting me through the ignominy of it all, and with the thought of having to roll up to school again and defend the Club. I should declare that there was a brief period, I was around 8 or 9, when I relented and parked my beloved guernsey in favour of a Big V jumper, just seemed a safer bet at the time, but it wasn’t long before I questioned my own loyalty and the Big V strip was shelved forever.

Not sure whatever happened to my Saint mate, hopefully he made it through. For me, it probably explains the chip on my shoulder and why I find myself working for minorities and the underprivileged.

On appearance not much would appear to have changed over the years out east. As with my own school days, my little girl now finds herself equally confronted with the typical majority set of Hawks, Bombers and Blues. It does feel like I have cruelly handed over the baton to her as she seeks to find her own way of dealing with the developing arrogance that goes with the ‘privileged’ class of AFL football fans.

I need not worry, as if she was going into battle with Boydy and Crossy, steadfast and proud, decked out in everything red, white and blue, she entered the school grounds to take on the charge of what it is to be an Eastern Western Bulldog.
    Nice work Doc. I am bringing two dogs daughters up in cow town Adelaide. I cringe everytime the crows win a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Unfortunately my daughter has come home scarred from her school's 'footy day' today. We're managing it the best we can but right now it is overwhelming for us.

For any in the teaching profession, like AndrewP6, I'm looking for some advice as to what recourse we might have as I fear my little one has been subjected to abuse by her magpie loving grade 2 teacher that warrants a form of punishment by the education department, like being forced to watch a St Kilda game ad free.

Coming home in the car with her tonight, unannounced, she launches straight into the Collingwood anthem. Can you believe it ? Her teacher has taken it upon herself to brainwash the class, teaching them to the word a sound akin to running ones nails down a blackboard.

Is this behavior accepted in the profession ?

Hey Doc. Has your daughter stopped with the heresy and returned to the one true red, white and blue faith yet?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

We had our footy day yesterday -- three Bulldogs in my daughter's class!! Maybe we shouldn't despair...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    We had our footy day yesterday -- three Bulldogs in my daughter's class!! Maybe we shouldn't despair...
    That's two more than were in my class!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Be interesting to know when the Schools have days like that how many of the bulldog supporters are junior members.