Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So You're An Eastern Western Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I reckon these days that the Eastern Suburbs where l have mostly lived and grew up varies in support of clubs and it is really a mix. A couple of nights ago at my local fish and chip shop in Forest Hill I saw someone with a Bulldog jumper on and on the Eastern Freeway saw a car with Bulldogs stickers on it. I think supporters of clubs a pretty much found everywhere these days.
    Maybe they're the same individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hey Doc. Has your daughter stopped with the heresy and returned to the one true red, white and blue faith yet?
    Twodogs, pleased to say she's stuck true and continuing to take up the battle with her teachers and classmates. Funny, I often find myself feeding her with come back lines built up after years of torment.

This Friday is a football team scarf day at her school so she's looking forward to donning her Bulldog colours.

Her two best friends at school are Lions supporters so our ladder position of 13th is slightly favouring her (us), with the Lions currently sitting at 14th. She's pretty satisfied with that.

Right now she's waiting patiently for me to arrive home to open the final pack of HS Football Cards which I've been informed by her contains Cooney, her favourite Bulldog.

Got to love the passion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Maybe they're the same individual.

Twodogs, pleased to say she's stuck true and continuing to take up the battle with her teachers and classmates. Funny, I often find myself feeding her with come back lines built up after years of torment.

This Friday is a football team scarf day at her school so she's looking forward to donning her Bulldog colours. Her two best friends at school are Lions supporters so our ladder position of 13th is slightly favouring her (us), with the Lions currently sitting at 14th. She's pretty satisfied with that.

Right now she's waiting patiently for me to arrive home to open the final pack of HS Football Cards which I've been informed by her contains Cooney, her favourite Bulldog.

Got to love the passion.
    Woof (Bearded one) or traditional ?
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Be interesting to know when the Schools have days like that how many of the bulldog supporters are junior members.
    Also be interesting to see the support of clubs in all the different local councils around Melbourne to see how many Bulldogs fans there are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W W Biscuit View Post
    Beautiful. I can so relate!

I grew up almost literally under the VFL Park grandstand. There wasn't a lot of love for the Bulldogs in Mulgrave during the mid 70s. Those daggy, primary school class photos were awash with Magpie, Hawk and Tiger colours. Blaagghh. Then there was me, the lone, perennially baggable supporter of poor old Footscray. Still, I proudly wore my long-sleeved Doggy jumper with the red collar. I'd rock up to school in it after the most fearful hidings, and boy were there a few of those back then!!

But now the worm has turned. I am lucky enough to be a teacher with ready access to scores of people with no fixed AFL allegiance. Looking after a refugee program in the northern suburbs, I do my bit for our recruiting department. At the beginning of the year, I suggested to my Year 12s that, whilst I would never exercise prejudice in my assessment of their work, it was perhaps only natural that I - on a subconscious level of course - may feel slightly more generous towards somebody with whom I shared some common ground...(cough)...say, in terms of the football team that they support. The next lesson, I was confronted by a class of Iraqis brandishing Bulldog stickers on their folders. One boy even bought a Footscray jumper to wear at an out-of-uniform fundraiser the following day!! I appointed him my deputy-in-charge of the class, and any requests (to go to lockers, etc) had to go through him. That, and I insisted on a guard of honour as he walked into the classroom.
    Nice story W W Biscuit. Hopefully in the future the Doggies will be well supported everywhere but that is going to take a lot of work.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 21-11-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Having not been raised in Footscray or the Western suburbs since I started supporting the Doggies in 2001 I guess I've been used to the Western Bulldogs. I really hope someday though we can go back to our original suburban name Footscray Football Club. We should be proud of our clubs working class roots no matter where we come from. Our club is for anyone everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Growing up in the eastern suburbs and supporting the Western Bulldogs certainly was a character-building experience. Every footy day back in primary school (I actually went to Mooroolbark P.S. briefly too) there was me and one other kid in the red, white and blue. I always wore a woollen, long-sleeved Footscray jumper with the red collar and would cop the usual banter from all the hordes of St. Kilda and Richmond supporters. However I think times are changing, my younger brother has several Bulldog mates and teams seem to be spread out a lot more in terms of locality.

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richmond and Stkilda?
    Talk about supporters in glass houses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Richmond and Stkilda?
    Talk about supporters in glass houses.
    Never were the most intelligent bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post

Got to love the passion.

There must be something about Adam Cooney that appeals to young girls. In 2008 when he told the burger ring engagent ring story on the Browlow podium my then 7 yo daughter said "But I want to marry Adam Cooney!!!!"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting when I go to the matches as a first year member on the trams or trains from the eastern suburbs to see what the support is like for the Doggies.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting when I go to the matches as a first year member on the trams or trains from the eastern suburbs to see what the support is like for the Doggies.
    The train is excellent and plenty of Bulldog supporters commute in. I normally park at either the Mt Waverley or Jordanville stations and catch the train in when we are playing at Ethihad.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The train is excellent and plenty of Bulldog supporters commute in. I normally park at either the Mt Waverley or Jordanville stations and catch the train in when we are playing at Ethihad.
    Have you taken Tram 75 in to Etihad GVGjr.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you taken Tram 75 in to Etihad GVGjr.
    I'm right near the Tram (100mtr walk to a Tram stop) but it's too slow of a trip. As the old saying goes "Trains the way to go"
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm right near the Tram (100mtr walk to a Tram stop) but it's too slow of a trip. As the old saying goes "Trains the way to go"
    Close to Deakin Uni I'm guessing. Travelling to Uni on the tram is very good as it is in the middle away from the roads and from my place it takes maybe 10-15 minutes. When you get closer to the city it gets held up.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it's just because I notice them more than the average person. But it seems like there's been a few more doggies supporters on the pakenham/cranbourne line than a few years ago.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post