Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
I'll raise you one-fifth of the story! Cousins was the fittest player in the AFL for a long while, there. Training intensity = fitness. Getting one's self 'up' for a training session after training session is pretty difficult to do - naturally!

As an ex-teammate would, the focus is on the "poor bloke" and "destruction" angle. However the performance enhancing angle is predictably unaddressed.... Cousins played by far the best football of his career at the height of his drug taking! His on-field output was at its peak in 2005. He won the Brownlow and 18 months later was outed as an amphetamines addict. Six months after his teammate's heart apparently stopped... As an 'elite' athlete who apparently had too much vodka...

Many Eagles players were admittedly on amphetamines. They played in two grand finals in the preceding two seasons leading up to Cousins' outing as an addict.. That addiction is acknowledged to have built up over many years of 'experimenting'. Sure, the longer term results have been predictably sad. However I struggle to overlook the fact that the Eagles played some pretty 'enhanced' football in the lead up to it all.

Although, I doubt Cox is going to touch on that point too much!! Nor will the AFL - who's drug testing program was exposed as a joke during the whole episode! For me, 2006 is a premiership with a question mark over it.. Add that to the COLA enhanced premierships and tanking-enhanced premierships and we have ourselves a competition which is just brimming with integrity!
Chronic binging on amphetamines, cocaine and booze (not to mention ketamine and ecstasy) wouldn't help an AFL player or a collective of AFL players perform at a higher level.

I look at this time in WCE history and think if anything they would have probably underachieved due to their partying culture, not overachieved.