Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
More interesting (even if they're less attended) games would make for a better spectacle on TV and generate higher ratings=pay more for TV rights. Friday night games would present more value to the AFL because of the ratings they bring in rather than attendances at those games. Wouldn't that generate more money?

And wouldn't the Carlton-Collingwood game be likely to get as many spectators on a Saturday arvo as on a Friday Night?

Then I've no idea what you're trying to day.
This isn't a crack at you, but you just reminded me of a Martin/Molloy Sketch from their radio show years ago.

It was a 60 minutes 'forum' on Youth Unemployment run by the late Richard Carleton. After a few minutes of booing, Peter Reith and some random from the audience saying 'National Shame', Rich pops a bottle of champagne and says to the audience "Oh, you people can all go now, we've got enough for the promo. Even if they switch over to The Simpsons after 20 minutes the points go to us. Cheers!"

My point being that TV ratings don't tell the full story, as much as the AFL might like to tell us otherwise.