I couldn't find a thread on the subject so apologies if one exists. But what are people's thoughts on the proposed 17-5 model of fixture? The AFL are certain to move to something like this in the future. I think it's a great idea.

Pros:
- Equal fixture for all clubs. Everyone plays each other once
- Sets up a "playoffs" for the last 5 weeks of the season, which would see teams in similar ladder positions playing each other each week
- Great for the fans and tv networks with extra blockbuster games
- Gives more teams a shot at the finals so there are more meaningful games played

Cons:
- Scheduling and logistical nightmare for the AFL
- Would the last 5 "seeding" games it reduce the impact of the finals ?
- What do teams 13-18 play for?

Questions:
- How do you assign home games for the last 5 weeks?
- Do points reset after 17 games?
- What do teams 13-18 play for?

Others?

For those that aren't aware, the 17-5 model is a fixture where everybody plays each other once = 17 games
The ladder is then split into 3 groups of 6: 1-6, 7-12, 13-18
The last 5 games of the season are played against teams in your group. The results will determine seeding. A team cannot move out of their group. i.e. 7th can finish no higher than 7th and finish no lower than 12th.

So essentially you have teams 1-6 playing for the top 4 and 7-12 playing for the last 2 spots in the 8. The big question is what do teams 13-18 play for? Draft order? But this may not be fair as 13th most likely would win the group and is probably a lot stronger than 18th. Does a lottery system get implemented for 13-18 with the winner of the group playing for an extra ball in the lottery? Or do they simply play for pride?

The AFL has also floated the idea of conferences, but this seems less likely.