Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
Probably more to do with his timing to get to the contest at the right time more than "closing speed".

Last week his efforts to spoil were interrupted by Matt Suckling trying to play the same role resulting in no one staying down and leaving us short in numbers.
A knowledge of where the ball is likely to go next can be as handy as leg speed. Last year in the game against Collingwood when it was pretty tight I watched Matt Suckling leave his man at halfback and run off halfback to a spot 20 metres on the non goal side of the contest.

I tapped my son on the shoulder and said "what's he doing?" And my son said "oh I've seen him do this before, just watch" Suckling stood there for a good ten seconds and then bugger me sideways the ball squirted out of the pack and rolled straight to him. He bent over and collected it and then kicked it straight back over the contest for a goal. I can remember all the players in the pack watching it disappear over their heads like ten soccer goalkeepers. Which is ironic because Suckers kicks the ball just like a soccer goalie