I went into last night's game feeling the opposite of how Ross Lyon did.

That was the most confident I've been since early 2023 that we'd win a game of footy. Bevo is the best in the business at tapping into an emotion and getting a group to ride the wave. With the walls closing in last week, I have no doubt Bev went into 'us against them' mode and made that the theme.

We also still have an experienced core of senior, hardened players who were roasted in the media individually and as a collective. They were always going to be fierce at the contest last night and it was no surprise to see Naughton and Dale stamp some authority.

I'm obviously extremely pleased at the win, but for mine, the true test is this week. Go over to Perth and do it again now that some of the heat and emotion is out of the situation.

I think Bailey Dale is symbolic of where this group's at. He was dropped, copped it publicly and responded with his best game in 24 months. Amazing performance but that's now the bar from which you should be measured. And you need to do it as matter of course, not just when the media has given you a kicking.

I thought a Ross Lyon side was the perfect test for us last night and I think Freo are the perfect test next week. They're a solid if unspectacular side, fighting to be in a similar spot to us. They're the kinds of wins that finals' sides have.

If we go over to Perth and beat them, I think we can start to look at this group as having turned a bit of a corner. If we don't show up next week, when some of the emotion has gone out of it, there are big questions about what it takes to get this group up for the contest.