Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: There is no football God

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    How about be brave and move the ball?

We are like a soccer team crying after losing in a shoot-out...sometimes you have to risk it all to save yourself from a miserable defeat.

I am just really disappointed in our overall lack of adventure. We played it safe and (to me) got what we deserved.
    Agree. To lose playing ugly is such a hollow feeling. If we roll the dice, take some chances and just be a bit more daring and lose it possibly could be more palatable to take. Could be a thread just on that question.

Post Thanks / Like

We are like a soccer team crying after losing in a shoot-out...sometimes you have to risk it all to save yourself from a miserable defeat.

I am just really disappointed in our overall lack of adventure. We played it safe and (to me) got what we deserved.
    In reflection, your are 100% right. Spot on. At critical moments when we were 17 point up we went sideways and backwards too many times to keep possession, even through the guts in traffic.

If you have to go to a 50/50 or take a risk to keep possession, at least go forwards (instead of backwards/sidewards) so if you do turn it over you, they have to at least come back through you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    In reflection, your are 100% right. Spot on. At critical moments when we were 17 point up we went sideways and backwards too many times to keep possession, even through the guts in traffic.

If you have to go to a 50/50 or take a risk to keep possession, at least go forwards (instead of backwards/sidewards) so if you do turn it over you, they have to at least come back through you.
    That's what I was saying in my thread I created after the game. It's the reason why we recruited Barry. It may not create a goal, but at least it makes the other team under the pressure to defend from inside our attack and if they gain posession back. Have to get through the traffic back to their forward 50.

But the weekend is over and Melbourne awaits this Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Don't care what footy they play.All I care is that nobody at our CLUB ever assumes responsibility,all theyvever do is freeze and play like rabbits caught in the headlights
    Spot on mate 100%

Post Thanks / Like

Les Murray buys into the argument;

Mourinho a genius without a soul

A word or two about Jose Mourinho, by way of pre-empting the tumult of discussion and polemics about him that will no doubt surround the Champions League final on May 22.

I am not a fan although I respect utterly his almost unrivalled capacity, even in historic terms, to achieve results, wherever he goes against whatever opponent.

Mourinho is the high priest of the football bottom line: a win is a win and a draw is better than a loss. He thrives in the self-fulfilling Machiavellian fantasy that in football the result is everything and he invests every drop of his considerable coaching talent into it.

He is oblivious to the game’s rich history and how its unique capacity to excite and entertain, its romance, has captivated the world’s billions for a century and a half. He is, as one English columnist implied, tantamount to a vandal painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa and calling it some kind of victory.

link to full article: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/les-m...without-a-soul

Post Thanks / Like

There may be no football god but choirs of angels sang at this post. Welcome back, mjp.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, mjp, if you allow your opposition to determine the terms of play and think that in so doing you'll triumph, you've never heard of the idea of being bitten on the bum.

Funny that supposedly smart coaches let it recur.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Yes, mjp, if you allow your opposition to determine the terms of play and think that in so doing you'll triumph, you've never heard of the idea of being bitten on the bum.

Funny that supposedly smart coaches let it recur.
    Is this your third or fourth Rocket bashing post this week? You're better than that AAD.

I believe we played the game on our terms; we dominated possession and had numerous opportunities to close out the game.

We lost through the poor execution of basic skills, not because we were coached badly.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wrong. There is a football God.

The football God saw our pain and devastation at the injustice of last weeks loss and decided to make a amends.

Thank you football God.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no God if you are a Melbourne fan.......

I guess in the great scheme of things it all evens up