Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Milne Charged

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Milne Charged

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Yes, but that's it - it is an allegation. There are many who have the verdict sewn up already. People need to let the legal processes take place.
    I understand that completely Andrew and I'll leave it there.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He is still listed, still getting paid. So he has to sit out for a while. So be it.
    Obviously Milne won't ever play again.

Which other old Sainters will go at the end of this season?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No probably not, It's all weird, the alleged cover up and I'm thinking the worse of Milne, I can't help it. Listening to too much John faine in the morning I suppose.
    It is a very, very, VERY serious allegation.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think you must look further. The charges are of the most serious of nature. Not damage, assault, drunkeness, theft. But rape. Sure innocent until proven otherwise, but the gravity of the allegations are such that there needs to be a more wholistic approach and thinking here.

From my past life, I've known many police officers who have been suspended without pay and all were found not guilty. Craig Thompson got dis endorsed for less and will lose his spot in parliament. In my current life I have had reason advise employers regarding suspending employees over certain behaviour. He is still listed, still getting paid. So he has to sit out for a while. So be it.
    Yes, but that's it - it is an allegation. There are many who have the verdict sewn up already. People need to let the legal processes take place.
    I understand that completely Andrew and I'll leave it there.
    Gents, what's the point in having any discernible opinion on this matter at all?

We all agree rape is abhorrent. We all agree the charges laid against Milne are very serious. We all agree that it is a good thing that after much confusion and potential interference the parties concerned are a step closer to having the matter heard in front of their peers. Or are we?

Surely any subsequent sanction against Milne as a result of the charges laid should be seen purely as a means whereby certain brands can suffer the least damage. Morals are not coming into this equation, because if they did, Milne would be free to play this weekend. Apart from showing up to a committal hearing to see if he is to be tried, essentially, Milnes' life should be able to proceed as normal under the justice system we all enjoy, for better or for worse.

We have a Police force that completely botched the first investigation into this matter, now claiming authority over the same matter nine years later as if to demonstrate something has actually changed in their governance and understanding of moral culpability. Are we all actually satisfied, that irrespective of the innuendo towards failings of the original investigative team and subsequent alleged interference that we've got it right this time around?*

Spare me. I'd hate to be stood down from what I love doing on the basis of an organisations determination that they effed up last time, but they sure as shit got it right this time.**

*I appreciate there are some boys in blue on this board, no offence is intended to them or the work they do
    **I don't like Milne.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a very, very, VERY serious allegation.
    No, I don't think so. The hysteria over this, when he hasn't been found guilty of anything, is ridiculous.
    I see nothing wrong with standing him down on pay until the matter is resolved. You can't have an alleged* rapist representing your brand.

* I'm strongly on the “he's innocent until proven guilty” side, just think the allegation is enough to stand him down. I'll be surprised if he is found guilty. Heck, I'll be surprised if it gets to trial**. But until it's resolved, St Kilda are doing the right thing by the club, and the right thing by Milne.

** These are my personal opinions***

*** I don't think we really need to have disclaimers on every post. If you find yourself on jury duty for this one, guys, then remove yourself from the discussion. I think we should be allowed to discuss something that is in the public domain, as long as we don't go potting him for it before his time.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I interpreted what came out of the club was that he was stood down as much for his own sake and mental well being as any other reason...whether we take that at face value I don't know

Post Thanks / Like

He should be stood down until the case is resolved. Can't have an alleged racist representing your brand on the ground. If he is innocent than it may be harsh that he is not allowed to play but when you are being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year you have certain obligations. Numero uno is to keep yourself out of trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He should be stood down until the case is resolved. Can't have an alleged racist representing your brand on the ground.
    I tend to agree, which is why the case should be heard immediately.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    I tend to agree, which is why the case should be heard immediately.
    He'll likely have to wait for a court date like everybody else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It should be noted the 2IC of VicPol today stated it should be recognised the investigation was conducted poorly on many levels, including the input of the original investigators.
    Just on that, in the last 3 years or so VicPol has completely changed the structure of the Sexual Offences investigators. Its run a hell of a lot better now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    He'll likely have to wait for a court date like everybody else.
    Which is a complete farce. Criminals walking the streets, innocent people with a black mark on their names.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Which is a complete farce. Criminals walking the streets, innocent people with a black mark on their names.
    Simplistic in the extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He should be stood down until the case is resolved. Can't have an alleged racist representing your brand on the ground. If he is innocent than it may be harsh that he is not allowed to play but when you are being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year you have certain obligations. Numero uno is to keep yourself out of trouble
    I am surprised a lot of posts are questioning the StKilda stand down decision?
    I just assumed how the Saints have handled Milne is protocol? I work for a big company and it is procedure to be stood down (with pay) while a severe investigation is being carried out.

Post Thanks / Like

A hypothetical if not rhetorical question, but what would the league's stance be of a player convicted and sentenced of such charge returning to play post his incarceration ? Would they hold the view that he's done his time and is free to play or that he is never to return as is a blight on the code ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    A hypothetical if not rhetorical question, but what would the league's stance be of a player convicted and sentenced of such charge returning to play post his incarceration ? Would they hold the view that he's done his time and is free to play or that he is never to return as is a blight on the code ?
    Andrew Krakouer of Richmond and Collingwood fame was in jail for a few years I believe.

I think the AFL would spin it as a success. Turning young mens lives around through football, that sort of thing. Milne if he is convicted however is a much higher profile player and accused of a very serious crime so it would be a much harder sell (will be too old to return anyway)
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Simplistic in the extreme.
    Tell me you don't get frustrated with the time these things take.

Formerly gogriff