Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs to play in Cairns

We will definitely consider taking a family holiday up there for the game if the timing is okay. Looks like it could be the first week of term 3, which could work nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    I had a holiday in Port Douglas in August and watched the Bulldogs on the big screen in one of the pubs on the main drag.
    I did the exact same thing in June and watched us play Collingwood. The weather was mid-twenties every day and not all that humid so the conditions shouldn't be that taxing for the players. It was certainly much hotter in Darwin when I made the trip up to watch the dogs play a few years back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Local Bulldog fans? What all 8 of them up there.
    Cairns is full of ex-Vics (me being one of them) who came up here for a holiday and decided to stay. The local Aussie Rules league is bigger than the local Rugby league, we have had Richmond v Gold Coast AFL games for 3 years but only 1 NRL game last year with makeshift grandstands. As with Darwin & Port though, there are more Suns supporters at the games than the 'home' side Richmond.

The games have been in late July when the top temperature is 22-26 degrees and humidity is far lower than in summer. We tend to run 3-4 degrees cooler than Darwin. Last years game was on a very overcast and humid day but that was unusual. It is always windy though where the ground is, which I think was more of a contributor to the sloppy play than the humidity in 2011 & 2012.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

If we play up in Cairns does that mean we can have Harbrow back?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If we play up in Cairns does that mean we can have Harbrow back?

Maybe if we relocated thee. It might cost us a few other players though.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Local Bulldog fans? What all 8 of them up there. Agree with BT that we had some momentum in Darwin with young kids and were selling some merchandise but the club obviously did the math and decided to move on. As a spectacle I don't think there will be much difference between Darwin and Cairns, similar latitude.
    Make that 9, I am moving back up there in 2 weeks, just as a side note, the local footy league up here has a team called the Cairns Centrals based at Trinity Beach and are the bulldogs in name and jumper, even the bar is called the EJ bar. It may be possible to gain a few fans and future members from a bit of cross promotion with a local club, it will be good to see the boy's up here, but I do understand the concerns of fellow woofers about our nomadic roster over recent years, having said that, and having been to Darwin games, I personally believe that Cairns may well be better for our club if we decide to continue with our playing a game each year, AFL is a strong competition in Cairns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greggles View Post
    Make that 9, I am moving back up there in 2 weeks, just as a side note, the local footy league up here has a team called the Cairns Centrals based at Trinity Beach and are the bulldogs in name and jumper, even the bar is called the EJ bar.
    Might have to make the trip up!

Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely be there for this one. Have a son in Cairns and he has 3 step-children that I have been working on conversion to Doggie supporters. Will get them all along to the game.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Maybe if we relocated thee. It might cost us a few other players though.
    Addison, Picken and a swap of 3rd round picks. Throw in Wood for their 1st rounder to make it fair.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I don't mind too much, as long as it's a real home game feel up there. Nothing worse than rocking up to Canberra and seeing it's actually a Giants home game under our name.
    At least one of the grounds in Cairns certainly has a home ground feel, from memory its Centrals at Trinity Beach. Their restaurant is called EJ's (yep, after the one and only), and they are the bulldogs as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    At least one of the grounds in Cairns certainly has a home ground feel, from memory its Centrals at Trinity Beach. Their restaurant is called EJ's (yep, after the one and only), and they are the bulldogs as well.
    I have been to the ground Jeanette and seen the EJ bar, pretty sure it is the main griund where we will be playing, good omen hey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldBulldog View Post
    I have been to the ground Jeanette and seen the EJ bar, pretty sure it is the main griund where we will be playing, good omen hey.
    AFL games are played at Cazalys in the inner west, not Trinity Beach in the north.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Are we getting more money with the Cairns deal than than the Darwin deal.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Are we getting more money with the Cairns deal than than the Darwin deal.
    Hard to say but I think the AFL are looking at supporting the Cairns region and we needed the cash injection that comes with it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Hard to say but I think the AFL are looking at supporting the Cairns region and we needed the cash injection that comes with it.
    Agree Gary. Anything that gets us revenue is a big positive especially for a club like us. We want a balance between getting more revenue and playing as much as we can in Victoria without going interstate too much.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"