Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simon Dalrymple Performance Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't agree, the last two drafst we had picks in the top 5, anyone can look good.

This kid will be a star. Some of his work was fantastic on Saturday and he is still 18 years old.

Like who? We need KPPs not just mids
    Top six picks - Farren Ray, Mitch Thorpe, Tim Walsh, Tom Scully, Jack Trengrove, Jarrod Grant, Matthew Kruzeir, Cale Morton, Chris Maisten all say hello. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Who are the potential KPP stars of the comp that are not at GWS or GCS that we could have drafted?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    How does he deserve reward for picking a father son?
    You don't have to pick someone just because they are F/S eligible. Wallis & Libba were universally rated in the top 20 so were easy selections at 22 & 41, Hunter however was no certainty to make it hence why he went at 49
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

first 5 or 6 in the draft. Often (and there are exceptions), its very difficult to go wrong. We picked Macrae and Stringer but could easily have had Ollie Wines.
    I'm not sure I'd pick Ollie above either of them long term to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    r. The Smith selection at least is one we know B-Mac had a huge influence in, wanting a contested ball beast.
    True and not much went after Smith so I was a bit harsh earlier on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Top six picks - Farren Ray, Mitch Thorpe, Tim Walsh, Tom Scully, Jack Trengrove, Jarrod Grant, Matthew Kruzeir, Cale Morton, Chris Maisten all say hello. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Who are the potential KPP stars of the comp that are not at GWS or GCS that we could have drafted?
    Nothing wrong with Farren Ray, has played 180 plus games of AFL, Grant will be good, Scully is fine, Kruzer doing well, Masten has played 100 games, Trengrove still only 22. So only fails there are Thorpe and Walsh
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Grant may be OK, Scully is a tagger which really shouldnt come in the top 6 picks, Kruzer is good but always injured, Masten is a pretty big disappointment.

I dont want someone that just plays 100 games in the top 6 picks. I want a match winner.

Post Thanks / Like

Doctor! Doctor! It is not too late to get into your TARDIS and go back to change history.

Instead of Howard, from the same draft we could have picked...Koby Stevens.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree, the last two drafst we had picks in the top 5, anyone can look good.
    ... anyone except Scott Clayton. e.g. Tim Walsh.

This kid will be a star. Some of his work was fantastic on Saturday and he is still 18 years old.
    I hope so but am on the fence - he will at least become a best 22 player.

Like who? We need KPPs not just mids
    Yes, but you also need mids. We have been pretty set on building "from the inside out" and the drafting, for better or worse, appears to reflect that strategy.
    The mids that have been selected are hardly Jordan McMahon types.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    But our problems haven't been because of the new teams coming in, they have been because we have made ridiculous picks. Howard is still just a staggeringly stupid pick.

2011 doesn't appear to be much better at this stage and I still heavily question the Clay Smith pick.

I think he nailed the 2012 draft to be fair.
    You couldn't say that the compromised drafts haven't muddied the recruiting waters. He's had a few howlers, ( Howard) but he should be praised for Dahlhaus. The talent pool is extremely thin with the 18 teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    But our problems haven't been because of the new teams coming in, they have been because we have made ridiculous picks. Howard is still just a staggeringly stupid pick.

2011 doesn't appear to be much better at this stage and I still heavily question the Clay Smith pick.

I think he nailed the 2012 draft to be fair.
    Who would you have at pick 17 in 2011?
    We linked with Crozier( hasn't done anything) Kavanagh( done nothing)

Post Thanks / Like

I think we selected well with our first 2 choices in the 2012 ND but the next 4 live selections have shown just as much talent as our guys - Wines, Mayes, Vlaustin and Menzel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I think we selected well with our first 2 choices in the 2012 ND but the next 4 live selections have shown just as much talent as our guys - Wines, Mayes, Vlaustin and Menzel
    Yep, what a great draft it looks like being. I reckon Mayes could be the best of the lot.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Who would you have at pick 17 in 2011?
    We linked with Crozier( hasn't done anything) Kavanagh( done nothing)
    I mentioned later that considering who was picked next my judgement was harsh.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the analysis Doc.

Makes for interesting reading. Jury is still out on Simon, but he certainly started extremely poorly and that draft alone has set us back quite a bit.

On Bonti: he will be a very good player, but my concern at the time was that he was too similar to Macrae and given our needs, didn't help us address these issues.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    On Bonti: he will be a very good player, but my concern at the time was that he was too similar to Macrae and given our needs, didn't help us address these issues.
    What I like about Bontempelli and what sets him apart from Jack Macrae is that he has a penetrating style of play. Jack can dodge, run sideways to find space and hit up targets 25 metres up field - valuable when he does it consistently - but Marcus, when he gets up and going, should be an 80 metre player. Someone who can bust a tackle, run 30 metres and use his booming kick to hit long targets. This is something our side desperately needs.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    What I like about Bontempelli and what sets him apart from Jack Macrae is that he has a penetrating style of play. Jack can dodge, run sideways to find space and hit up targets 25 metres up field - valuable when he does it consistently - but Marcus, when he gets up and going, should be an 80 metre player. Someone who can bust a tackle, run 30 metres and use his booming kick to hit long targets. This is something our side desperately needs.
    Complete different player than Macrae. Once he gets a tank and stronger he'll be a weapon also with his hands. I think Jack has to improve his kicking over 25 metres, but Marcus looks like he has a booming left peg.