Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three Things I've Learned - Round 10 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    1. Luke Dahlhaus is a machine for his size and weight, and he won't die trying. He has more heart in his little finger than many do in, I don't know, their chests.....

2. We missed Picken's toughness, ball getting ability and to get involved across the board inside and outside. I've gone 180 degrees in my view on him as a player, he's not just dour anymore, he's a valuable contributor across the board and we need him in our side

3. In terms of setting up and holding a game to a pattern we have a lot to learn as a playing group and also a coaching group. The moments when they were able to get some clean air during the game saw us lose ground and ultimately get scored against. All of the players and coaches needed to react to that better last night and finally the dam burst in the last quarter and it blew out
    Are you still open to trading him Jeemak?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Are you still open to trading him Jeemak?
    I knew this question was going to be asked when I originally said I am, and with his continued excellent form I didn't like my chances of avoiding it.

The answer is still yes. Though his selling price has gotten a little higher these past two months.

I look at Dahl and think that all of his positive traits are tracking the way they should in line with his years in the system. I have always expected him to do that because of his work ethic, his toughness and his obvious dedication to the team. His weaknesses however haven't kept up with his strengths in terms of development and they never will.

His development as a midfielder has pleased me no end, he is great above his head and he is extremely strong around the ball. Every week that I see him play all I want is for him to become a better kick and a better shot at goal, but I know he never will. In that way he is what he is - which is very good but limited - and he'll never be otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bev is slowly introducing more mobile, quicker thinking (or better decision makers) into the team.
    2. Bev's game plan appears to be based on promoting those who adhere to the systems and the team rules, especially in relation to defensive aspects, 2 way running and spread from the contest. Those who cannot are given the chance to relearn how to play at Footscray.
    3. Bev is big on introducing new players for blocks of time to see if they can cope with 1 and 2 above.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I agree that Boyd was poor. It was undeniable. However i found it interesting to note how ineffective we were after his substituton. We scored, what, one goal in the quarter and a half that he was off the ground?

I hope people realise just how important it is to have tgat dangerous tall forward target in our forward line. Even if he doesn't get it, their key backs have to worry about him. Also, our strength is our forward crumbing and pressure.

It was dewy and the ball came in kow early on. That didn't suit Boyd. However, as fatigue sets in, the ball tends to come in longer and higher and the big targets come into play. Their tall backs really picked us off after Boyd's substitution. He was ordinary last night and he needs the bye for a rest. However he's still very, very important to our structure.

dropping him would be an error. I also thinknthat with the benefit of hindsight, Bevo wouldn't have subbed him last night. I think he'll chime in late in games with important contributions more often than not.

Long game - keep playing him.
    I agree that we need to keep playing Tom Boyd but at 200cms see him more as a change ruckman with Roughead who has emerged as our best ruckman. Minson's days look numbered to me. The time of the lumbering ruck man doesn't suit our game plan. I was surprised that we didn't play Matthew Boyd in the midfield given the loss of Picken and Bontempelli. The class of Wines Boak and Gray was probably the difference in the end.
    Dale Webb and McLean are all players of the future and simply need more games and experience. Jong is playing without confidence and probably needs a rest or go back to the VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I agree that we need to keep playing Tom Boyd but at 200cms see him more as a change ruckman with Roughead who has emerged as our best ruckman. Minson's days look numbered to me. The time of the lumbering ruck man doesn't suit our game plan. I was surprised that we didn't play Matthew Boyd in the midfield given the loss of Picken and Bontempelli. The class of Wines Boak and Gray was probably the difference in the end.
    Dale Webb and McLean are all players of the future and simply need more games and experience. Jong is playing without confidence and probably needs a rest or go back to the VFL.
    Could not agree more with your ruckman comments.

Earlier this afternoon, I clumsily tried to explain my theory behind why Minson should be dropped from the team.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I knew this question was going to be asked when I originally said I am, and with his continued excellent form I didn't like my chances of avoiding it.

The answer is still yes. Though his selling price has gotten a little higher these past two months.

I look at Dahl and think that all of his positive traits are tracking the way they should in line with his years in the system. I have always expected him to do that because of his work ethic, his toughness and his obvious dedication to the team. His weaknesses however haven't kept up with his strengths in terms of development and they never will.

His development as a midfielder has pleased me no end, he is great above his head and he is extremely strong around the ball. Every week that I see him play all I want is for him to become a better kick and a better shot at goal, but I know he never will. In that way he is what he is - which is very good but limited - and he'll never be otherwise.
    Fair enough.

I'm struggling to think of the perfect player, without flaw(s) and I must say that Dahl's strengths are very strong. One of these that you didn't mention, perhaps the most important one outside of his pressure acts, is his ability to kick clutch goals from contested situations, a far more difficult proposition than a set shot. It's his ability to score from anywhere at anytime where his true value lies because nothing is more unsettling to the opposition than scoreboard pressure.

Losing Dahl to me would be like losing the Queen in chess, you're not losing the game by trading him out but your whole approach changes and becomes weakened because of it. Whoever you bring in from the trade needs to be like for like in terms of quality, even if they are completely different players.

I understand the adage you don't get good unless you give up good.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I agree that Boyd was poor. It was undeniable. However i found it interesting to note how ineffective we were after his substituton. We scored, what, one goal in the quarter and a half that he was off the ground?

I hope people realise just how important it is to have tgat dangerous tall forward target in our forward line. Even if he doesn't get it, their key backs have to worry about him. Also, our strength is our forward crumbing and pressure.

It was dewy and the ball came in kow early on. That didn't suit Boyd. However, as fatigue sets in, the ball tends to come in longer and higher and the big targets come into play. Their tall backs really picked us off after Boyd's substitution. He was ordinary last night and he needs the bye for a rest. However he's still very, very important to our structure.

dropping him would be an error. I also thinknthat with the benefit of hindsight, Bevo wouldn't have subbed him last night. I think he'll chime in late in games with important contributions more often than not.

Long game - keep playing him.
    I agree with this, however there is one thing separating Toyd from other gun tall forwards and Carey touched on this last week - the best tall forwards, when they're not marking the ball, find another way to get into the game. Tom is still working this out and it is that which separates him from the Hogans and Danihers at this stage.

He is bigger and heavier and will take more time and I'm confidant he'll be fantastic for us long term, short term he still seems to have a lot to learn even if he is pretty important to our structure right now.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. We missed Picken and the Bont. As a consequence this was the first game when I was really aware of no Libba too.
    2. I think we need another tall so Boyd doesn't have to do all the tall man work. Its a lot of contests to get too and Port just swamped him when he did get to the contests. Redpath I assume would be the additional tall but could Fletcher Roberts go forward with Talia returning to the backline?
    3. First game I've seen where we reminded me of the McCartney-era Bulldogs. Good inside grunt, plenty of ball, courageous but then just picked off outside the contest. Or give it away in poor kicking.