Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  50
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge ...

Bevo says he is very lucky to be the coach of the Western Bulldogs. We are very lucky to have Bevo. How can you not want to play for him?
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

<- = Player Retention when the cap gets pushed

Post Thanks / Like

We have seen a huge improvement in skills over Luke's tenure.
    Not one single Bulldogs player in the top 20 worst clanger kickers in the AFL.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    The improvement in skills has been remarkable, apart from being a little too cute sometimes, given the low base we were coming from.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you believe we are a good kicking team?

The loss of Murf & JJ will greatly effect how we distribute the ball by foot and I see it as an area of real concern.

Post Thanks / Like

I think our skills have been fairly poor this season. Particularly delivering inside 50

I'd be curious to know where we rank for inside 50 marks (contested or 1 on 1) and set shot goals from marks

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

The loss of Murf & JJ will greatly effect how we distribute the ball by foot and I see it as an area of real concern.
    They are impossible to replace. Quite often our defensive plan seems to revolve around getting the ball in JJ's hands and making space for him. We might have been able to cover for one of them bur not both.

But we have to come up with something.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think our skills have been fairly poor this season. Particularly delivering inside 50

I'd be curious to know where we rank for inside 50 marks (contested or 1 on 1) and set shot goals from marks
    11th on marks inside 50.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd is right up there in clangers per disposal
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo isn't going to teach the guys how to kick, he's going to teach the guys as they all develop together to use the team mate in the best position to kick.

That's the key to clean and efficient ball movement. Sure, you need one or two a absolute kicking guns around the ground, but everyone else only needs to be competent with a comprehensive system guiding them what to do.

Also, as players grow older they fatigue less and use the ball better under pressure. We have a young group with that in front of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post

Come a long, long way since BMac. Anyone remember our kick-ins?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

With the absence of Tory and Stew from our forward line, we seem to be falling into a' bomb it long and hope' strategy. If the remaining forwards are unable to offer leads because they aren't natural forwards (excluding Jake who is struggling with sustained opposition targeting) but really resting mids ie Wally, Libba, Dahl, Bont, Hunter, Koby, Jong, then lowering the eyes and hitting targets isn't going to eventuate. Last week we scored a majority of our goals from stoppages arising from long high bombs being retained by our defensive efforts. Just as many entries though came straight back out of the forward line. A better team would have hurt us with the rebound.

With TBoyd and Roughy not getting near the ball in those situations on Saturday, we looked less dangerous. Our mids managed enough goals but our scoring has dried up in quite a few quarters this season all ready. Big Red or TC taking marks or at least contesting like TBoyd did last year (and thus relieving Jake of some of the burden) would be good. Just shows how much we miss Tory and Crameri in particular as a mobile large/ medium forward.

Post Thanks / Like

It's catch 22. To get it down the ground you have to play very fast footy, and take risks.
    Example, Biggs is our worst rated for turnovers and I don't think he's playing badly. He takes risks.
    We lack a bit of composure.We have the skills, IMO

Post Thanks / Like

We currently sit at #1 for disposal efficiency at 77%. Can't tell you what the break down is for kicking specifically.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Biggs is a good kick - he takes risks with his kicks which can result in the occasional clanger but it also opens up the game for us. I think he can help partially fill the Bob breach in terms of damaging disposal off half-back. I'm also confident that Webb can come in and take over the previous Biggs support role.

JJ is a different story with his line-breaking ability - we don't really have anyone on our list capable of replicating his fantastic run and carry. Williams and Lynch look like two long-term prospects in this area but they aren't ready.

Kicking efficiency is a bit of a misnomer - Richmond has a high kicking efficiency because they chip it from one half-back line to the other like a crab, which is not much help when you're getting the ball inside forward 50 less than 10 times in a half.