Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Young Gun Update

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Umm... I don't think so.

Like me, they don't like the way he draws frees.
    There is a video floating around on Facebook showing all his free kicks. Although he clearly draws a lot of high contact, some of the starting points by the tacklers is bloody high to begin with.

Like you in not a big fan of how he draws free kicks, but it's pretty simple to stamp out....pay holding the ball or call play on (if the free isn't there of course).
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    There is a video floating around on Facebook showing all his free kicks. Although he clearly draws a lot of high contact, some of the starting points by the tacklers is bloody high to begin with.

Like you in not a big fan of how he draws free kicks, but it's pretty simple to stamp out....pay holding the ball or call play on (if the free isn't there of course).
    or tackle him properly
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He should change his name to Selwood. Then after the media raise the issue once they won't raise it again. The media (and by extension football supporters on social media, water coolers, talkback radio etc) have been on McLean for a month or more. We have all heard it, dragging this 'story' out week after week against a kid is tiring. How about the media/social media focus on the fact he's top 10 in almost every stat among rising stars for the entire competition?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    or tackle him properly
    I'd bet if Libba tackled him 19 times, not one would be high.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

6. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Not sure it is Slim. There is no rule called "play on if the tackle slips high". McLean also doesn't duck his head directly into the tackler, which would be "play on" according to the rules. So in black & white terms, all those frees are obviously too high.

McLean has perfected a legal tactic of raising his arm to make the tackles slip high and there is no current legislation to stop him from doing it - the onus is ultimately on the tackler to not get him high. The spirit of his tactics are in question but the black & white frees are not - I'm not a fan but it is undeniably legal and very effective.

Post Thanks / Like

His ability to draw high tackles has been a source of amusement in our family. Until the AFL legislate against his technique....good luck to him. I am concerned however that he seems to go searching for high contact as his first option, which is a bad habit to get into. He needs to address this if he is going to have any reputation left in 12 months.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Big fan of Toby. He has been really good.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Great mark too .. He will take a blinder one day
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

On many occasions he doesn't actually lower his height to cause the high tackle but rather just stays low never fully standing up like his opponents expect him to resulting in the free for high. You could argue he does it to lower his center of gravity to dodge and weave the tackle but happily takes the tackle as to receive the obvious free. It's actually a very clever technique (until he really cops one and injures himself) and I have no problem with it if it gives us the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't care less what other supporters think of him. If they played for their team, they'd defend him to the hilt.

Yes, he draws contact. Tackle him around the hips if you want to avoid any chance of giving away a free, otherwise the risk is with the tackler.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I couldn't care less what other supporters think of him.
    Do you care what his own supporters think?

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yes, he draws contact. Tackle him around the hips if you want to avoid any chance of giving away a free, otherwise the risk is with the tackler.
    Who tackles around the hips anymore?

You need to pin the arms to deny the ball getting free.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you care what his own supporters think?
    Not really. He's utilising a legal technique that the opposition can't handle yet, it's winning him possession and helping us kick goals. If supporters don't like it because it doesn't look good, so what?

Who tackles around the hips anymore?

You need to pin the arms to deny the ball getting free.
    Exactly, and Toby has the right to try and deny the tackler from winning the free kick. As long as he does it legally and effectively, I'm fine with it. Understand that you don't like it though. Each to their own on this one.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tacklers over the past few years have mastered the art of pinning the arms, this is how players are trained to tackle.

Why shouldn't players be able to combat that technique with a new technique of their own? If he's too good at making you go high, then tackle his hips and let him fire out an easy handball, simple!

Post Thanks / Like

Maclean is a gun and a young bulldog, I will be defending him.

18. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Toby draws a too high free with 31.59 minutes on the clock to put us 5 points up in a Grand Final I won't be having a problem with it.

I just hope it's against (in order): Adelaide, Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

20. Likes N/A liked this post