Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  120
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade talk - Anyone we want that may be available?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In theory yes, I think he is a better player than most give him credit for but is he hard enough at the contest for the tighter games like today?
    That's the gamble on him. I think yes, I rate what he still could become in the right environment and what Bevo could do with him, but there's not a broad lot of proof. I guess that's where free agency reduces a bit of risk.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anyone at the Cats we could realistically raid? If the Cats don't finish the season off well given their massive investment with trading draft picks etc last year then they might look favourably at an offer of moving a player for a 2nd round draft pick.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is there anyone at the Cats we could realistically raid? If the Cats don't finish the season off well given their massive investment with trading draft picks etc last year then they might look favourably at an offer of moving a player for a 2nd round draft pick.
    I really, really like Vardy if he could just stay fit. But that's the thing, he just can't manage to stay fit. If he passed our clubs medical, then I'd be all over that trade.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I really, really like Vardy if he could just stay fit. But that's the thing, he just can't manage to stay fit. If he passed our clubs medical, then I'd be all over that trade.
    I just had a look at their list and I'd be interested in having a crack at Jordan Murdoch. As you might be aware I rated him highly as a junior. He is very quick and a quality ball user plus he can play forward or back.

Vardy is that risky selection that makes people feel uncomfortable. Does he or could he play in a team that potentially has Campbell and Roughead plus Boyd, Stringer, Crameri and Dickson up forward? He would give us some depth but he would also be hard to place in the team except where injuries impact us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I just had a look at their list and I'd be interested in having a crack at Jordan Murdoch. As you might be aware I rated him highly as a junior. He is very quick and a quality ball user plus he can play forward or back.

Vardy is that risky selection that makes people feel uncomfortable. Does he or could he play in a team that potentially has Campbell and Roughead plus Boyd, Stringer, Crameri and Dickson up forward? He would give us some depth but he would also be hard to place in the team except where injuries impact us.
    Murdoch could be a player. Vardy if fit is best 22 on talent, easily. I'd say Campbell rucks 80% and Vardy & Boyd alternate second ruck. Vardy is a player, but breaks down seemingly too often. Camhead are doing a good job, but outside the ruck Roughead isn't doing too much damage anywhere else on the ground and I thought that's why Minson wasn't playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Big yes to Murdoch.

No to Vardy.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting if the club sees things as woofers do about where our potential premiership window is. Woofers have been around 9-10 on the clock. Does that indicate that now trade becomes more important? If our window opens up next year recruiting kids who won't come into maturity in the next few years isn't necessarily the immediate impact move. Hawthorn and Sydney traded heavily leading into the last 4 Grand Finals. On the flip side Port Adelaide have over estimated their list it seems.

Do we as a club aggressively peruse trades and free agents to make an immediate impact if 2017 onwards is our expected window? Historically, we held our first rounder instead of getting Barry Hall a year earlier, which arguably could've been the difference between ultimate success and a run of prelim losses.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting if the club sees things as woofers do about where our potential premiership window is. Woofers have been around 9-10 on the clock. Does that indicate that now trade becomes more important? If our window opens up next year recruiting kids who won't come into maturity in the next few years isn't necessarily the immediate impact move. Hawthorn and Sydney traded heavily leading into the last 4 Grand Finals. On the flip side Port Adelaide have over estimated their list it seems.

Do we as a club aggressively peruse trades and free agents to make an immediate impact if 2017 onwards is our expected window? Historically, we held our first rounder instead of getting Barry Hall a year earlier, which arguably could've been the difference between ultimate success and a run of prelim losses.
    Hawthorn's run proves that you need to have a core group capable of getting you to the pointy end as early as possible, and be able to stick around for 5-6 years so you can keep having a crack. I think you can find yourself in trouble if you throw away a first rounder early in the piece thinking you won't need their services in four years time because your window's closed, especially when you're a young side playing well like we are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hawthorn's run proves that you need to have a core group capable of getting you to the pointy end as early as possible, and be able to stick around for 5-6 years so you can keep having a crack. I think you can find yourself in trouble if you throw away a first rounder early in the piece thinking you won't need their services in four years time because your window's closed, especially when you're a young side playing well like we are.
    Have we got them yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Have we got them yet?
    We'll know if three months time.

I think if we can keep everyone fit, and find a system that allows Toyd and Redpath to play deep in the forward line without jumping on each other, and Stringer higher at times so he's more involved more regularly we might just be in it.

Of course we'd need to keep everyone fit, particularly our creative half backs in addition to those mentioned above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We'll know if three months time.

I think if we can keep everyone fit, and find a system that allows Toyd and Redpath to play deep in the forward line without jumping on each other, and Stringer higher at times so he's more involved more regularly we might just be in it.

Of course we'd need to keep everyone fit, particularly our creative half backs in addition to those mentioned above.
    I prefer Stringer higher up. He creates goals and can bomb long goals too.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Have we got them yet?
    They're there but whether they are ready this year or soon is another thing.

From 2010 onwards we've gathered a group together - Wallis, Libba, Dahl, JJ, Bonti, Stringer, Macrae, Hunter, Biggs is a good starting point.

North's core group is in the mid-late 20s (complimented by a lot of older types too) who were drafted together. Hawthorn's core group is now getting long in the tooth so it will be interesting to see how they maintain their edge (if they do).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    They're there but whether they are ready this year or soon is another thing.

From 2010 onwards we've gathered a group together - Wallis, Libba, Dahl, JJ, Bonti, Stringer, Macrae, Hunter, Biggs is a good starting point.

North's core group is in the mid-late 20s (complimented by a lot of older types too) who were drafted together. Hawthorn's core group is now getting long in the tooth so it will be interesting to see how they maintain their edge (if they do).
    Plus Adams, Dunkley, Tom Boyd, Collins, Cordy, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Dale, Webb, McLean, Daniel, Williams and others. If this is the nucleus, then does recruiting more kids help get this premiership or do we look to trade and target free agents to fill needs around them for next year onwards?

If there's a draft to sit out strategically, not because of talent, possibly two elevated rookies and a possible father/son then we are not losing too much as we bring in 3 draftees, but provided the incoming talent from 1st & 2nd round picks is top shelf. We can always get back if we want by testing the market on Roughead, Stevens, Hrovat & Jong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Big yes to Murdoch.

No to Vardy.
    Billie Smedts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Billie Smedts?

Where would he play for us?