Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  468
Page 34 of 72 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marcus Bontempelli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBU9xkd0l5o

Just echoing everybody elses appreciation of The Bont as an all time great in the making. In my time as a Dogs fan, the only other 2 who came close to showing such obvious greatness from the get go were the Hawk and Chris Grant. The day I was convinced he was a generational player was in career game No.4, scores were level in the dying minutes and he single handedly did what usually only a great, experienced leader can pull off:

2. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Goal of the Century, how didn't did win Goal of the Year is unfathomable.

More highlights of The Bonts, music is very annoying and drowns out the commentary but I could watch the footage all day.

It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

4. Thanks bornadog, Prince Imperial thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Octocall of The Bont vs Hodge-2016 Semi.
    Courtesy of Al's Highlights.
    Enjoy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VMliXpuyVa0

6. Thanks bulldogtragic, Murphy'sLore, Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Likes ReLoad, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Was reportedly superb in the second half of the season, had a 50 possie 10 goal game in school footy

Have heard some recruiters talk about him as potentially the 2nd best player in the draft

However, very young, only a year off being able to run around again in TAC cup, and he is a very tall midfielder

Wing, half back would appear to be his best starting point

It would be a bold starting point. He's not the guy I'd pick at 4 but if we had two top 10's a la Collingwood then I'd completely support one of them being spent on Bonto
    Thank god they got that one wrong.

Easily the best.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yes welcome to the Dogs Marcus. Highly rated so very happy to pick him up.
    Highly rated and how right I was
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

9. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Highly rated and how right I was
    You crack me up Easty

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    You crack me up Easty
    I must be a good comedian
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The ABC are using Gerard Whateley's call of Bont's GWS goal to promote Grandstand. That team goal, given the circumstances, is just the most thrilling goal I have ever seen. Jesus, I wish I had been at that game in person. My mate said it was the greatest experience in his life. The atmosphere was completely off the scale, the outpouring of emotion was tsunami-like, the noise beyond belief.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

14. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    The ABC are using Gerard Whateley's call of Bont's GWS goal to promote Grandstand. That team goal, given the circumstances, is just the most thrilling goal I have ever seen. Jesus, I wish I had been at that game in person. My mate said it was the greatest experience in his life. The atmosphere was completely off the scale, the outpouring of emotion was tsunami-like, the noise beyond belief.
    I've never experienced a moment in footy like it. Felt like slow motion, yet JJ was absolutely flying.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ricky Greystache said it best in another thread, in past prelim campaigns where the game was close and we had shots on goal we missed them. Thank God for this team, and thank God Bonts had the ball. And your mate is right, best experience ever.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I've never experienced a moment in footy like it. Felt like slow motion, yet JJ was absolutely flying.
    Amazing moment. I was sitting on the outer wing, and when JJ streamed past, I was watching him and I didnit look up ahead. When he kicked the ball and I saw The Bont on his own and no one in front of him, it was a great feeling as the ball sailed through the goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I've experienced plenty of moments in footy like it but everytime we were on the receiving end.

That stupid bald *!*!*!*!ing head of Nigel Smart in the '97 prelim comes to mind.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably a bit of a broken record about this goal...but it was my favourite ever moment at the footy, ever.
    We were on the charge, the ball ends up in the hands of our best player - and as it all unfolded - I am sitting on the broadcast side, about 65m out from goal, where Bont first got it kicked to him - and to feel 100% sure it was going to be a goal to put us in front - but to still have that few seconds for it to pan out....an amazing feeling.

I think I screamed 'Go the Bont!' so loud and for repeated for so many times, for so long AFTER the goal was kicked - that in that moment I was miles off being a sane person! On the (brilliant) Octocall, the calls of Rex Hunt, Whately, and Anthony Hudson are back to back to back - and are hard to split in terms of being the best/most exciting/most emotion-charged.

The best moment, of the best game - I have ever witnessed.

Post Thanks / Like

I still get goosebumps (literally) even from just reading stories like Ozza's

21. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I should add - that at the time, Bont kicking the goal felt so certain that my recollection was that he'd kicked the goal from 20m out. Watching the highlights on my phone later that night I got a surprise when I saw he'd kicked it from about 35m.