Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "He's playing one season too many" 2017 edition

Many people seem to have a drastically different meaning to this phrase than I do. I equate it to great player that is now too old and has become rubbish and a liability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The Feminist
    If we're being brutally honest, he was a plodder under Sheeds, became a very good contested ball player at the Daniel Cross level under Knights and then he became a superstar of the competition only when he got on the juice. Ever since he got off the gear, he's regressed every year, even bearing in mind that the PED's he took in 2012 would have artificial benefits for a few years thereafter. He's back to being a plodder again and looks as finished as anyone.

I don't think there has been a more unsavoury scene in 2017 as the media fawning over the 'triumphant' return of the drug cheats in R1. It's akin to running a ticker tape parade for the return of Justin Gatlin at the Olympics.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes strebla, aker39, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nick Smith and Kieran Jack are two players who have really laboured since the 2nd half of 2016. Smith was hardly ever beaten as a small defender pretty much since he debuted but has looked so slow and unable to contain his direct opponent in recent matches.

Jack keeps falling over in the contest, which is the sure sign that age has caught up with him. He's not particularly old but his body has taken an absolute battering over the years. I don't think the public spat with his parents has been helpful to him either.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Wil Minson, oh wait.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If we're being brutally honest, he was a plodder under Sheeds, became a very good contested ball player at the Daniel Cross level under Knights and then he became a superstar of the competition only when he got on the juice. Ever since he got off the gear, he's regressed every year, even bearing in mind that the PED's he took in 2012 would have artificial benefits for a few years thereafter. He's back to being a plodder again and looks as finished as anyone.

I don't think there has been a more unsavoury scene in 2017 as the media fawning over the 'triumphant' return of the drug cheats in R1. It's akin to running a ticker tape parade for the return of Justin Gatlin at the Olympics.
    Pretty good assessment.

Patty McCartin.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Zac Dawson has played about 10 seasons too many

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Jarrad Waite.
    Daniel Wells.
    Wells is in the first year of a 3 year deal.
    Whoopsies
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Jarrad Waite.
    Daniel Wells.
    How can you say this with any conviction?

Waite played 1 game and kicked 1.7, saw lots of the ball (17 touches, 7 marks) just didn't finish off his work and then got injured with the type of injury that isn't an old man injury... If he kicked 4.4 or even 6.2 he would've been in the votes.

Haven't seen Wells at AFL level this year so I would think it's a wait and see on him too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Haven't seen Wells at AFL level this year so I would think it's a wait and see on him too.
    Wells has had significant injury troubles for two years, the same injuries he's struggling with now (and is not exactly the hardest trainer floating around).
    Makes Collingwood's deal for him seem like lunacy.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Wells has had significant injury troubles for two years, the same injuries he's struggling with now (and is not exactly the hardest trainer floating around).
    Last year he was actually relatively injury free (19 games). It was the 2 seasons before that where he missed a lot of footy.

He had a great 2016 and was always going to play on, but the 3 year deal from the Pies was crazy given his age and history.

How about coaches that have gone on a year too long? Clarkson and Buckley at the top of the list at this stage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    It's like it was the act of a manager who knew he was headed out the door and wanted to leave a large dump in the drawer of the new manager's desk.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Last year he was actually relatively injury free (19 games). It was the 2 seasons before that where he missed a lot of footy.

He had a great 2016 and was always going to play on, but the 3 year deal from the Pies was crazy given his age and history.

How about coaches that have gone on a year too long? Clarkson and Buckley at the top of the list at this stage?
    You'd think Clarkson has plenty of runs on the board, to be given a chance to regenerate that list. Whether or not he wants to, is a different matter.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Thats very different from he is a useless player now which seems to be the call for Burgoyne and Gibson.
    But I never said he was a useless player. I just think he's played one season too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I don't think it is ideal for Hodge to be having to play inside mid at his age. Ideally he'd be on a back flank patrolling - but he seems to be on ball a lot due to necessity. But I think he's playing a fair way above the 'played one too many seasons' category. If anything, I think Hawthorn will need him to consider playing on again next year to help bring through the younger players, and soften the landing a bit on their massive fall.
    But I'm talking about Hodge, playing on a half back flank, missing a target, then diving desperately in and under to redeem himself. Not him playing in the midfield.
    It was really clear to me in the last quarter of the Geelong game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    You'd think Clarkson has plenty of runs on the board, to be given a chance to regenerate that list. Whether or not he wants to, is a different matter.
    No doubt Clarkson has earned the right to do whatever he wants. I meant in hindsight perhaps both parties would have been better off if they parted ways at the end of 2016.