Exactly. He's also said on a number of occasions how heavy his legs get rucking too much. The last time he mentioned he used to take speccys as a junior but that rucking makes his legs too heavy to jump like that. I also believe the heavy legs he talks about have impacted his goal kicking. From junior to his initial time as a forward with us he was 70% career goal kicking accuracy which is remarkably reliable. Now I wouldn't say I have unflinching doubt when he gets it late in matches.

I put the numbers up the other day, and he compares very favourably with other big forwards at the same point. So at least statistically speaking, we should be investing in his development as forward even Moreso to ensure he turns out as good as other gun forwards. He's not a gun ruckman, he's 200+cm & 100+kg and someone that size can be competitive. With the rules now the way they are, even Jarrod Witts is getting games and at times looking alright and he costs 1/4 of Boyds salary.

We saw what he could do on GF day. We know he's a naturally gifted gun KPF, that's why he went at pick one by a country mile over Kelly, Billings & Bonts. We know he can take huge marks, we know his goal kicking accuracy is excellent and we know his career output (despite rucking and a shoulder reco) compares well to Jon Brown, Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt, Josh Kennedy etc. So if Tom despite those impediments has provided similar output to these guys, I would think we'd be crazy to not spend every once of energy improving his forward craft and giving him as much time up forward to learn and develop, with pinch hitting help.