Likes Likes:  60
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee: Round 10 vs St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Hard to know at the moment, but my changes pre- Footscray game is -

In- Roughead, Cordy, McLean, Stringer

Out - Redpath, Smith, Webb, Suckling

I guess Libba, Boyd and Biggs will be in the mix too.

Bevo sounded pretty disappointed in the presser so I think he will continue to ring the changes until we start performing to the level he expects.
    Those changes make us much more balanced.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    We're struggling to hit the scoreboard so I'm not sure Cloke's better work around the ground outweighs 2-3 goals from Redpath, even if he is anonymous for the rest of it.
    I'm inclined to agree, but only because with the return of Roughead we don't need Cloke to be involved in the ruck, which is where he did all his good work last night.

Having said that Redpath is prone to going missing for long periods (as is Smith)
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

It appears no one feels there is a place for M Boyd any more?

I hope McLean and Roughie return. I'd be more inclined to drop Cloke than Redpath. I maintain that an in form Biggs is a vital player for us and I'd like to see him back.

So I'd be saying in: Rough. MCLean. BIggs. Libba.
    OUT: Cloke. Hunter. Smith. Suckling.

We really are having a lot of trouble settling best 22.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    It appears no one feels there is a place for M Boyd any more?

I hope McLean and Roughie return. I'd be more inclined to drop Cloke than Redpath. I maintain that an in form Biggs is a vital player for us and I'd like to see him back.

So I'd be saying in: Rough. MCLean. BIggs. Libba.
    OUT: Cloke. Hunter. Smith. Suckling.

We really are having a lot of trouble settling best 22.
    The coach is very forgiving with players who aren't quite performing which is good trait but he must be losing some patience with a few of the boys. I don't think we are getting selections right

The first thing I would question is what purpose does dropping McLean and Liberatore for just one week do for the players unless there is something specific they need to focus on and it clicks for them? Liberatore has been down for a while and probably one week won't be enough for him to regain form but if anyone could do it then it's likely to be him.

The second point is would we really rush Cloke into the side after a decent absence and then drop him a week later? It screams of a bit of panic and Bevo doesn't panic

It wouldn't surprise me if there was just one left of field addition to next weeks side.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The coach is very forgiving with players who aren't quite performing which is good trait but he must be losing some patience with a few of the boys. I don't think we are getting selections right

The first thing I would question is what purpose does dropping McLean and Liberatore for just one week do for the players unless there is something specific they need to focus on and it clicks for them? Liberatore has been down for a while and probably one week won't be enough for him to regain form but if anyone could do it then it's likely to be him.

The second point is would we really rush Cloke into the side after a decent absence and then drop him a week later? It screams of a bit of panic and Bevo doesn't panic

It wouldn't surprise me if there was just one left of field addition to next weeks side.
    Good points. I think we made too many changes this week. I wondered if both Dale Morris and Cloke were underdone.

Smith and Suckling have had prolonged periods of poor form though. Can we go into the most important game of th season, as this is shaping up to be, with the former seeming unable to play 4 quarters, and the latter defensively dodgy and the famed leg cannon firing only intermittently?

What a costly loss this was.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Having had a good night's sleep to settle down the anger, I've reassessed my changes.

Some have suggested Stringer comes in.....is he fit to play? I hope so. Assuming he is, here are my changes;
    OUT
    Redpath......it was either him or Cloke and tha fact it was Cloke's first game back, saves him.
    Smith.......has been hanging in by the skin of his teeth. Time to go back to Footscray.
    Suckling......two highlights a game versus about six clangers. Patience has ended.

IN
    Roughy.......need to get our centre clearance shit sorted.
    Stringer.......his explosiveness versus Smith's ploddishness...I think I made that word up.
    Biggs.....reckon he gets a nod over Boyd as we need quicker players against the saints

Reckon Bevo will be keen for Libba to earn his spot back, so unless he plays a blinder, he'll get a second week in the magoos. Hunter probably deserves to be dropped but we need him to rediscover his run against the fleet footed saints.

This week is probably the biggest game we've played outside finals in the last few years. Our season is riding on it......or am I being a little melodramatic?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

What are you thinking?

Surely as a minimum Roughy comes back which is extremely obvious... The set-up in the 2nd qtr was a joke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Outs: Webb, Dale, Redpath
    Ins: Roughead, Libba, McLean

Not having Libba and McLean in tbe team was idiotic.

I thought Cloke was waaaay better than Redpath.
    Some of the selections this week were very strange. I understand he needs to make a statement but they were going into a game knowing it was going to be wet and slippery and that the opposition will be a tackling machine after their performance the week before. To leave out our 2 best tacklers Libber and Cordy is bizarre at best. Cordy might not get much of it but he makes the opposition earn it and he would have been the perfect match up for Taylor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Some of the selections this week were very strange. I understand he needs to make a statement but they were going into a game knowing it was going to be wet and slippery and that the opposition will be a tackling machine after their performance the week before. To leave out our 2 best tacklers Libber and Cordy is bizarre at best. Cordy might not get much of it but he makes the opposition earn it and he would have been the perfect match up for Taylor.
    What would Cordy have done against Taylor that Morris is not capable of?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Outs: Webb, Dale, Redpath
    Ins: Roughead, Libba, McLean

Not having Libba and McLean in tbe team was idiotic.

I thought Cloke was waaaay better than Redpath.
    What's your thinking on dropping Dale? Reckon last night was his best performance at senior level by some way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    What's your thinking on dropping Dale? Reckon last night was his best performance at senior level by some way.
    Yep. He's not going to be a big possession getter, but got it in dangerous spots for 4 inside 50's and 2 goal assists, and good tackle numbers too. He doesn't blaze away and looks to hit up forwards, and I noticed last night he long he holds the ball for in traffic to take the tackle and release his team mates. I liked his game and really like his poise and delivery into the forward 50. We need more of him to stop this long bombing crap, not less.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Smads57, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What are you thinking?

Surely as a minimum Roughy comes back which is extremely obvious... The set-up in the 2nd qtr was a joke.
    I'm not sure until I see Footscray play but coaches are stubborn and Bevo doesn't like ringing the selection changes even if we haven't played well enough for weeks. Last week he bit the bullet and made 5 so while he might do a few again it would be very out of character. Perhaps a Hamilton, Honeychurch or English might be preferred to returning McLean and Liberatore after just one week

If fit enough Roughead makes sense to me but he would then need to drop one of Cloke, Boyd or Redpath. Why rush Cloke in only to be dropped the following week? Redpath was good one week and just average the next and Boyd looked good last night.

Suckling should be a candidate to be dropped but I think we rate his kicking skills as vitally important.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    What would Cordy have done against Taylor that Morris is not capable of?
    given us a couple more options

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting hearing Bevo talk about Libba on SEN .
    Basically said he hadn't had the same preparation as 12 months ago .
    Knocked the off field rumours on the head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. He's not going to be a big possession getter, but got it in dangerous spots for 4 inside 50's and 2 goal assists, and good tackle numbers too. He doesn't blaze away and looks to hit up forwards, and I noticed last night he long he holds the ball for in traffic to take the tackle and release his team mates. I liked his game and really like his poise and delivery into the forward 50. We need more of him to stop this long bombing crap, not less.
    Looked good in traffic, and has a bit of composure about him .