Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 70 of 142 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980120 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2119
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

I wouldn't take Scott Thompson because he is a shitruck and always has been.

But saying I wouldn't want such and such playing for my team because I don't like him or he upset me at some stage or he tries to hard to win for his team seems plain silly to me.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think we are still behind one other club but we are in with a chance
    And its Melbourne for @#$% sake, how can anyone find them more appealing over us ?
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    And its Melbourne for @#$% sake, how can anyone find them more appealing over us ?
    I know, seems ridiculous. They've been able to attract some good players recently (Hibberd, Lewis, Melksham to a lesser extent) while we continue to struggle. Who wouldn't want to play under Bevo?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I know, seems ridiculous. They've been able to attract some good players recently (Hibberd, Lewis, Melksham to a lesser extent) while we continue to struggle. Who wouldn't want to play under Bevo?
    Maybe those that aren't a new age type. With that said I'm not sure behind closed doors what style Goodwin brings. We do know that Macca can bring a hard edge approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Dawes
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Doc26, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne are clearly about to explode after their 11 year rebuild.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes Twodogs, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A player who prefers playing at the MCG rather than Etihad regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    A player who prefers playing at the MCG rather than Etihad regularly.

That's a large part of it. Don't overlook how much playing in front of a huge crowd at the MCG (even Melbourne get big crowds-queens birthday, etc. out of ski season sometimes) can influence a players thinking.

Doesn't matter we will just catch and develop our own. Last year's batch of draftees look to be better prospects than 99% of players you would typically draft in anyway. Would any club in its right mind trade a prospect like Lewis Young for the pick we got him for? Or Patrick Lipenski? And we get to school them our way from year one.

11. Likes Hotdog60, Webby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trengove reportedly wanting 2.2m over 4 years,that's a massive risk for a player who finished the year in the reserves. I don't see us winning the flag next year with the demographic we have so I see no point paying massive overs unless the player is a best 22 lock. One things for sure there are many tall players in the AFL that get overs. I'd offer max 3 year deal 1.3 mill take it or leave it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Trengove reportedly wanting 2.2m over 4 years,that's a massive risk for a player who finished the year in the reserves. I don't see us winning the flag next year with the demographic we have so I see no point paying massive overs unless the player is a best 22 lock. One things for sure there are many tall players in the AFL that get overs. I'd offer max 3 year deal 1.3 mill take it or leave it.

It's a really interesting point you raise and one I've been leaning towards. Unless the club strongly believes it can bounce back into serious contention soon then trading for high profile players or even chasing restricted free agents too aggressively probably isn't worth it and we would be better copping our whack for another season or two.

Still 2M over 4 years isn't that much nowadays. If we chase both him and Martin it would signal to me that the club is serious about it's chances next season
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Without being delusional about it we have to believe we can bounce back. Surely if we plan and prepare to fail then we will fail.

Post Thanks / Like

I think $550K p.a. is probably around the mark for Trengove. Not sure about four years, but it's a sellers market out there - especially when it comes to tall players who can play a few different roles.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Without being delusional about it we have to believe we can bounce back. Surely if we plan and prepare to fail then we will fail.

It comes down to the attitude of the playing group. If there is genuine hunger to get back to a level we are more than capable of then we should chase players to help that endeavor along. If we think there is going to be another year or two of resting on the premiership laurels then we need to be prepared to cop our whack again so chasing players probably isn't worth it.

We won two flags in 2016 and we put up a very shitty defense in 2017 and there has to be some reasons for that. If we are still comfortable enough with the 2016 flag and really don't quite have the hunger yet then we shouldn't chase players for 2018.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    He is currently on $600,000 a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Even under the new salary cap, $500k+ is silly for Trengove. Should be on Suckling wages, $1m over 3 plus 20% cap increase
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff