Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
How's Mick Malthouse from the linked article:

“Don’t forget this is the 1970s and I still think that Robbie lived up to that name,” Malthouse said on Saturday.
“I think he was quite happy with that name. I question that he questioned it. It served him well to get recognised. He never said to me ever that he was upset by the nickname because we never discussed it.
“He may well have been, but it wasn’t something to discuss. That was a public name, and I think in the end he tried to live up to that name.”
Malthouse also claimed Collingwood legend Lou Richards was the first to call Muir “Mad Dog”, which contradicts his teammate’s recollections — the 66-year-old asserted St Kilda great Kevin Neale gave him the nickname in the ABC feature.
“When he was nicknamed ‘Mad Dog Muir’, that was basically Lou Richards,” Malthouse said.
“Lou wouldn’t have had any intent to hurt. It was just Mad Dog Muir. I never knew him as that. It was always ‘Robbie’.
“But he picked up that nickname. I think Robbie tried to live by that name. And that’s a shame. It really wrecked his ability to say ‘I was a good footballer’. He was a very good footballer.”

I mean words fail me. I get people being tone deaf, but good grief.

Thanks RT, great writing.
The "Cone of Silence" only works one way for Mick. We can hear what you say but you can't, or refuse to, hear anything anyone else is saying.