Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Watching last night...Football has LOST a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Essendon's backline is just so vanilla... Ridley (who is a nice mark, but no hurt factor going forward), Zerk-Thatcher, Laverde, Kelly, Heppell and McGrath.. spare me.

The only time they looked like taking the game, which is sort of how you trouble us is when Hind ventured down there late in the game.
    They might be able to rack up some stats but it's a weak unit.

Ridley is a decent defender and as you say a nice mark.
    Laverde they've somehow turned him into a back man but he has done okay for them over the last 3 years
    Zerk-Thatcher is highly regarded by their fans but it shows they're settling. Kelly is solid but not a lot more than that. Heppel is overrated and McGrath is so disappointing for a number #1 pick and is just average.

Watch them make a play for Norths McKay.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Essendon's backline is just so vanilla... Ridley (who is a nice mark, but no hurt factor going forward), Zerk-Thatcher, Laverde, Kelly, Heppell and McGrath.. spare me.

The only time they looked like taking the game, which is sort of how you trouble us is when Hind ventured down there late in the game.
    They actually have a backman that would concern me - Hind - but they played into our hands by making him the sub.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Good post. I was at the ground and noticed the freedom the dogs in their backline. Our game plan seemed to be to let them chip it around and force a turnover at our defensive arch and rebound forward.

It seemed to work against a team like the bombers who have a young midfield and I think a B-C grade forward line. Better teams get it over the back and run into easy goals.

The main issue I had was we still had slow and stale ball movement which counters the value of forcing a turnover. I thought it was ugly team football over the game with our star player sprinkling fairy dust on a turd.