Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  52

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Robbo: Why Tim English isn't worth $1 million to the Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'd prefer we kept English but it needs to be in line with our salary cap and he also needs to take a haircut for the incredible (and honestly misplaced at the time) faith that the club has put into him as a no 1 ruckman for many years. This faith has cost us so badly in key finals (and a GF), and IMO English should repay this enormous faith by taking what would still be a very generous contract but at the lower end that he would otherwise command on the open market. He's a sub $1m a season for mine.
    I'm totally on board with what you're saying, however in today's day and age, there is no way a person will go - I know you've looked after me in the past, but i can now make X, why wouldn't they? Footballers in particular are a single head knock away from loosing their livelihood, but they have to make hay while the sun shines.

Personally i think hes worth 850-900k a year. especially with the large salary cap increases that are looming.

a 3-4 year deal on this kind of money with total free agency for him afterwards is a good result "to pay it back to us for what we've put into him" and reward for the "now"

West Coke are going to have to cough up big time to get him over there. If he hasn't signed by July hes gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    I'm totally on board with what you're saying, however in today's day and age, there is no way a person will go - I know you've looked after me in the past, but i can now make X, why wouldn't they? Footballers in particular are a single head knock away from loosing their livelihood, but they have to make hay while the sun shines.

Personally i think hes worth 850-900k a year. especially with the large salary cap increases that are looming.

a 3-4 year deal on this kind of money with total free agency for him afterwards is a good result "to pay it back to us for what we've put into him" and reward for the "now"

West Coke are going to have to cough up big time to get him over there. If he hasn't signed by July hes gone.
    If i am Andrew MacDougall I am definitely looking at length of contract as much as quantum. The concussion issues make that an imperative.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing is who wants to play for WC. They are years away from playing any finals at all.

You have to enjoy your job and also get paid well. Losing every week, is not fun
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The other thing is who wants to play for WC. They are years away from playing any finals at all.

You have to enjoy your job and also get paid well. Losing every week, is not fun
    West Coast won't stay down for an extended period. They just don't.

They will be contending before Tim's career is over and he would lift them more quickly.

If it is us or West Coast the chance for success won't keep him. Their record is much better than ours.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    West Coast won't stay down for an extended period. They just don't.

They will be contending before Tim's career is over and he would lift them more quickly.

If it is us or West Coast the chance for success won't keep him. Their record is much better than ours.
    What's an extended period?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Because sometimes making X and never playing a flag or not playing finals is just not worth the money sacrifice. Eagles are 3 years from finals and whilst anything can happen, probably 5 years from flag contenders. English will be over 30 having shouldered the ruck in a developing team. Toll on his body; toll on his mental health would be enormous.

Personally I think her will stay. Will be a million plus deal, but he will stay.

Post Thanks / Like

There have been enough recent examples of groups of players who collectively all take a hair-cut to stay together and achieve the ultimate team success. Hawks, Geelong and Richmond all did this to a degree.

Speaking for myself, if English now decides to screw the club down after everything we have given to him in relation to the frankly undeserved 1st ruck opportunities he was given as far back as 2019, for me it would be a dog move. I am realistic that in today's era it is more likely than not, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

His complete and utter inability to impact at all as the big dog 1st ruck cost us enormously in finals in 2019, 2020 and 2021 - especially in 2020 EF and 2021 GF the ruck/stoppage/clearance battle was absolutely critical in torching us. He has turned the corner in his ruck craft, but it still concerns me when a banged up old clydesdale like Scott Lycett can still thoroughly intimidate English in his AA 2023 season. Should we be dedicating $1.2-$1.4m a season for a player who has not yet cemented his reputation when it matters (notwithstanding his concussion concerns)? Gee that is a big price to pay.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes Dry Rot, Hotdog60 liked this post