Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  1,993

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    And will probably find himself dropped before other more obvious players.
    If he continues to play like yesterday cannot see him being dropped. Definitely to date has not been given multiple opportunities after poor/below ave games that others have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Well said. It?s like nearly all our players have low footy IQ. West stuck out yesterday with his game awareness, willingness to take game on in a clever way and high quality disposal.
    He was great. Compared to his peers, Vanders and O'Neil what he lacks in speed, he makes up for in footy smarts and execution

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    If he continues to play like yesterday cannot see him being dropped. Definitely to date has not been given multiple opportunities after poor/below ave games that others have.
    Mark my words. The day West has ONE poor game, he will be dropped.

4. Likes G-Mo77, SonofScray, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lollipop man near my daughter’s school a good barometer for where the sort of Dogs fan that isn’t quite as rabid as folk who talk about every element of the club and game day like us WOOFERS is at.

He had a handful of grumpy dads with him today who feel that if we are on the wrong side of the ledger at R5, that’d be time to call it.

I do t think we will be on the wrong side of the ledger at R5.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Mark my words. The day West has ONE poor game, he will be dropped.
    This is why I like to flirt with the idea of a new coach.

Imagine games into West and not McNeil.
    Anyone other than VDM.
    Players playing in other roles.
    Different ideas about personnel at CBAs.
    Rucking ideas.
    Actually tagging and stopping a player actively killing us.
    A shot across the bow of the players too.
    Players being taken out of the pigeon holes like they were under BMac and given new life playing to their strengths.
    Maybe the MC gets some fresh ideas as a result too.

Axing Bevo isn’t a silver bullet, especially with the poor playing efforts. But it’s not like you can’t make a case that change might be what we need.

Grant can go to, replaced by Power.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So…hypothetically, what happens if we lose a close one to WC in a few weeks ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of ifs and buts to it (like are west coast travelling much better than expected, dis we beat gold coast the week before) but assuming last years level of performance or similar from the Eagles and we have lost to the Suns, then I don't really see how Bevo survives much longer. It'd be too early for the club to make an absolute call but it'd take a significant turnaround for him to retain the gig.

10. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we go 0-3. Bevo will not survive in my opinion. It may not happen that week, but the wheels will be well and truly in motion.

12. Likes DOG GOD, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    If we go 0-3. Bevo will not survive in my opinion. It may not happen that week, but the wheels will be well and truly in motion.
    1-2 if the 1 win being WC isn't a sacking but the knives will be out. Another loss to WC is a sacking regardless of the GCS result.

14. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Lollipop man near my daughter’s school a good barometer for where the sort of Dogs fan that isn’t quite as rabid as folk who talk about every element of the club and game day like us WOOFERS is at.

He had a handful of grumpy dads with him today who feel that if we are on the wrong side of the ledger at R5, that’d be time to call it.

I do t think we will be on the wrong side of the ledger at R5.
    I had coffee with a player manager today, his a childhood friend. Doesn't manage any of our players but plenty around Victoria.

From the talks his had with other managers / people in clubland, he reckons if Bevo isn't positive ledger by round 6, he'll be outed.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

16. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I had coffee with a player manager today, his a childhood friend. Doesn't manage any of our players but plenty around Victoria.

From the talks his had with other managers / people in clubland, he reckons if Bevo isn't positive ledger by round 6, he'll be outed.
    So he has to win twice as many games as he loses, or secure three wins and a draw to keep his job?

Seems logical.......

Though really, I could understand that sort of thinking taking effect for a point in time later in the season. But not by round six.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

18. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So he has to win twice as many games as he loses, or secure three wins and a draw to keep his job?

Seems logical.......

Though really, I could understand that sort of thinking taking effect for a point in time later in the season. But not by round six.
    Maybe the club had seen our draw to round 6 as “gettable” towards a positive result.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Whilst there was a change in personnel there was nothing new on offer yesterday... our forwards & mids refuse to defend, our ''fringe'' players continue to make basic errors which directly cost us goals & momentum and we either miss goals we should kick or butcher opportunities when we have the advantage in general play.

It's just rinse & repeat on the previous 2 years.

They're a very good team, but they too had 5 different/ new players in their team to the one that lost to Carlton in last seasons SF... Why can they adjust to these changes, but we need to make excuses/ allowances?
    Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Melbourne in contrast were super agreessive on the mark. Even being risky in pushing us back and slowing us down. That was a big reason for why our ball movement was so slow. There were a few times when we had a spare out the back, but they forced us hard back on our mark, which resulted in that spare being covered or the pressure they applied on the mark forcing a rushed kick and we turned it over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Pretty much summed up my feelings exactly. It seems like everything I saw in the pre-season was completely abandoned for our 2023 game style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    That is the most marks May has taken in his last 50 games and 1 short of his career high against North who were struggling years ago .

Four Melbourne backmen combined to get over 40 marks.

Our forward tactics need a thorough overhaul. They set up losses.
    One very obvious key position that didn't change during the big broom of late 2023 was Spangher. It still baffles. That and no noticeable improvement in goalkicking. Sure its only one game but Harry McKay had a woeful 2023 season in front of the sticks and he's back to his best, probably better. Can someone find out who coached him preseason? Because they can have top dollar and Johnno can stay in the commentary box.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the club had seen our draw to round 6 as “gettable” towards a positive result.
    Exceed your career win loss record by about fifteen per cent or get lucky enough to have a draw on top of three wins and you can stay!

Sure thing!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pleather Sole View Post
    One very obvious key position that didn't change during the big broom of late 2023 was Spangher. It still baffles. That and no noticeable improvement in goalkicking. Sure its only one game but Harry McKay had a woeful 2023 season in front of the sticks and he's back to his best, probably better. Can someone find out who coached him preseason? Because they can have top dollar and Johnno can stay in the commentary box.
    Johnno only joined post Christmas and has only done a few sessions. Hardly his fault.

Spagner was promoted beyond his competence at the time, I assume looking at his history, but was supposedly approached for a line coach position by the Hawks so it seems like he may have grown into the role if that's a reflection of how he's seen in the industry.