Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Johno Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    To this point we're ranked number 5 in the competition for expected score per shot, we were 11th last year. Generating better opportunities.
    The stats I referenced were specically around set shots. As that is what the focus of the training is on.

Post Thanks / Like

What’s happening? The goal kicking was looking better, but some bad kicking is coming back again.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    What’s happening? The goal kicking was looking better, but some bad kicking is coming back again.
    It was the gettable set shots that just kill you. West from 20m (kicked a helicopter). Bont and Daniel in the last quarter. VDM direclty in front (albeit from distance in the first).

That is the game. Right there. The game.

Post Thanks / Like

Was it that bad last night? We missed a few sure but who doesn't?

Most of our points were tough shots from in play, rushed or right on the limit of players range (Daniel and West).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Was it that bad last night? We missed a few sure but who doesn't?

Most of our points were tough shots from in play, rushed or right on the limit of players range (Daniel and West).
    We missed a few, but what magnified that is that they shot the lights out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    We missed a few, but what magnified that is that they shot the lights out.
    Yeah. Sydney skills in general are next level.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    It was the gettable set shots that just kill you. West from 20m (kicked a helicopter). Bont and Daniel in the last quarter. VDM direclty in front (albeit from distance in the first).

That is the game. Right there. The game.

I thought the Bailey Dale miss in the 2nd qtr was more important... would've put us 9pts up with all the momentum. He missed and they scored a goal soon after the moment had passed.

Post Thanks / Like

The Swans are the #1 side scoring from front half stoppages in the league, and the #1 side scoring from defensive 50 intercepts. We had 14 inside 50 stops for 2 goals 1. They had 5 for 2 straight.

I know we missed set shots (so did they) however if you dig deeper there are more reasons for a large number of behinds. Turn over goals for eg will generally give you an unset defence.

We had 5 rushed behinds, our forward half kicking efficiency was well below theirs (55 v 76 at one point in second) there are so many factors.

Goal kicking is the most obvious, and is critical of course but doesn't paint the entire picture.

Post Thanks / Like

On expected score, which I know is not an exact science, we win by 7 points.

I think that's the third or fourth game we have 'won' based on the opportunities we have created, but lost on the real scoreboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    On expected score, which I know is not an exact science, we win by 7 points.

I think that's the third or fourth game we have 'won' based on the opportunities we have created, but lost on the real scoreboard.
    Yes. The biggest difference wasn't that the Dogs expected score should have been higher, it was the Swans should have been much lower. They kicked some incredible goals.

Post Thanks / Like

28 scoring shots to 22. Goals missed from set shots were gettable. Dale running into an open goal, West 25m out, Bont from 30m. You must take your opportunities.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    28 scoring shots to 22. Goals missed from set shots were gettable. Dale running into an open goal, West 25m out, Bont from 30m. You must take your opportunities.
    Gags missed a sitter on the run from 20m too in the first half. We blew it so many times.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Gags missed a sitter on the run from 20m too in the first half. We blew it so many times.
    Thanks BT, I can't remember them all. I am still angry we lost.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes bulldogtragic, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I thought the Bailey Dale miss in the 2nd qtr was more important... would've put us 9pts up with all the momentum. He missed and they scored a goal soon after the moment had passed.
    It was a really poor miss for a player with normally exquisite foot skills. He was good last night but that was a bad moment, and very costly with regard to momentum shift.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It was a really poor miss for a player with normally exquisite foot skills. he was good last night but that was a bad moment, and very costly with regard to momentum shift.
    He really tried to straighten up too much. He should have gone on his left foot.
    More of an In Bruges guy?