Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

What style of coach do we require

Ok. Many of us here talking about the performance of Luke Bevo our Premiership Coach. But if we were to take the ultimate chop out and move him on. What kind of coach would we seek. I?m sitting here wonder of past coaches and wondering what would be if Rocket had achieved with this list.

A, Would he be out coached?

B, Would this side be behaved on and off the field

C, Would our game style be more attractive

D, Would we have a harder edge to our playing list.

Let me state first up I loved the Rocket years and we had great players under him, not much cash to splash. But so ticket didn?t have the Bont. What could have been I wonder
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What style of coach do we require

A Winning one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    A Winning one
    Lets keep it simple hey?
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

4. Likes JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thread, and constructive in its intent outside of just getting rid of the current one.

While I love the connectedness to the players Beveridge clearly has had over time, I do get concerned it's too emotionally charged and difficult to reciprocate with players being brought up to expect a more pragmatic and commercial landscape in clubland. Beveridge played in the 90s, coached in the 00s outside of the AFL and early 10s in the AFL before he swept the game with his approach (almost 40 years, not to mention the culture ingrained in him from his dad's time at St Kilda). It's possible his emotionally focused approach has had its time and a more pragmatic and transactional/ business focus needs to be blended with it. It's hard to say, though I reckon some cuts and bruises are sticking from current and past players being backed and not returning the favour to match the input on his side.

A new coach would need to be able to relate to the players on a personal level, be emotionally intelligent and care for them, but also accept the player driven realities of the game today.

Strategically and tactically I think Beveridge is underrated. Salty Dog stories and Us against Them mentalities don't get a team with holes everywhere to a premiership or a lead in a grand final. He rebuilt the team between the two, and while there were obvious stars in each there were a lot of players doing what they needed to do to fit into a complex game plan that pound for pound was difficult to counter when up and running, but at the same time difficult to replicate week to week. This is where I think he's most like Eade, in that other teams that had better structure and quality across lines could be beaten because of the sheer amount of preparation, strategy and tactics deployed by the coaching team Beveridge leads.

If we think we have a better list or team than what we're showing today, then I don't think a new coach can come in and try and follow what is conventionally successful in the league today. Structure behind the ball isn't something we have and won't for a while, and run and gun will take a massive lift from all players to execute. So whoever comes in next needs to find something new beyond those things (and our defunct stoppage game) if everyone agrees we're not going to rebuild.

They're just some initial thoughts. A coach coming in and saying I'll put Naughton back and play Lobb in the ruck, let English and Smith go for a couple of draft picks as we change the ruck and rebuild might also get the job done to an extent - changing the now a little bit, but won't fix where we need to go. Whoever we get needs to be at least as smart as Beveridge because our team/ list is in a bit of shit (possibly deep, time will tell) and getting it to perform will take a lot of work. Unless whoever comes in has everyone's permission to blow things up, a mountain needs climbing.
    Last edited by jeemak; 10-05-2024 at 02:00 AM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go Justin leppitsch I reckon he is ready to go back in, think strategy wise he would be elite and I'd love to see Boyd and Murphy back at the club. I still have my fingers crossed for Bevo but my faith is at an all time low particularly after last week and the rhetoric over the off season.

8. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s hard to tell. So many guys are not playing to their potential for a variety of reasons. A coach who can get them plss as young to their potential is my vote. But who that might be and their attributes to get that outcome is hard to tell from the outside.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I would go Justin leppitsch I reckon he is ready to go back in, think strategy wise he would be elite and I'd love to see Boyd and Murphy back at the club. I still have my fingers crossed for Bevo but my faith is at an all time low particularly after last week and the rhetoric over the off season.
    Nobody ever says Gia.......who is the one I'd be targeting of the three.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone who understands and can get a forward line structure right.
    Bring back the biff