Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  71
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 10 vs GWS Giants

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    He looks a decent size for a first year player. Not a skinny kid.
    First time I saw him play live, and I thought je was a great size. Ledge probably talking about strength, which he won't have too much of yet.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He's a relatively big and loping lad, but isn't hardened.

Once he does harden up, he'll be a weapon. The type of winger/ between the arcs player we haven't had on our list since forever. Think Andrew Embley from WCE.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes azabob, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He looks a decent size for a first year player. Not a skinny kid.
    I think a seasoned player would be able to beat him one on one, I?m not saying he is small but look at the GWS players build and strength, they are a very physical team and him being just 18 and one pre season under his belt he will get beaten one out.
    He will be a gem but horses for courses this week .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think a seasoned player would be able to beat him one on one, I?m not saying he is small but look at the GWS players build and strength, they are a very physical team and him being just 18 and one pre season under his belt he will get beaten one out.
    He will be a gem but horses for courses this week .
    You're right, he's a puppy.

But he has big paws and will turn into something pretty intimidating at 191cm and possibly still growing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'd share your concerns if there were 1-2 lumbering key forwards in that lot, but Naughton and JUH are agile and very good when it hits the deck (Naughton also elite at the pressure stuff). As a comparison, is it that different to Cameron, Hawkins and Henry? Our 3 are all extremely dangerous aerially, especially when we get it in there quickly and deep. I also love Bont spending more time forward where he is a huge problem for opposition defenders to match up on - one of the benefits of Richards spending more time in the middle and being trusted to do so.

Where we aren't at the level of the better teams is with our small pressure forwards and high half forwards. Clarke and Jones making it will address this, but both are nowhere near the finished article. VDM is what he is - he does a power of unrewarded running, and to be fir to him he has contributed much more/stuffed up less in recent weeks - but he is no Myers or Close.
    Totally agree with your assessment on the Big 3. I still don't know as to why we didn't go hard at Ginnivan when we knew we were going to miss out on Watson. He is exactly we need and needed at the time - smart small forward. He was gettable as well. Could also have been the difference between winning and losing those close ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Totally agree with your assessment on the Big 3. I still don't know as to why we didn't go hard at Ginnivan when we knew we were going to miss out on Watson. He is exactly we need and needed at the time - smart small forward. He was gettable as well. Could also have been the difference between winning and losing those close ones.
    Did we know we were going to miss out on Watson? During the trade period all the noise was that we were trading into the high end of the draft with a mind to draft him. Then Hawthorn started firming to take him before our pick.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrydog5 View Post
    Once again if Mara kicked straight this weekend we'd be lauding him for his game with 3 goals and a few score involvements. He'll come good and we have to keep playing him. He's understandably frustrated with some of our delivery into the forward line, and I reckon it's pretty fair to be getting ticked off when your advice / requests are repeatedly being ignored for another long bomb into congestion.

We lament it a lot, but if we played like geelong or sydney where quick ball movement and precision kicking left our forward line open for Mara to lead into he'd be having a field day every week. His playing style is not currently suited to our forward line structure, and that's on the coaching group to sort that out and get the best out of all our talls.

The criticism of Mara the last couple weeks has been harsh in my opinion. I agree his body language and effort has appeared poor recently when his form has been down, but we really are not using his strengths well at all. I've been to the last couple of games, and the amount of times he's comfortably beaten his defender on the lead only to be burnt entirely or for a propped kick sit on his head and allow the defender to catch up and spoil has been painful to watch.
    We've always struggled to hit forwards inside the arc. He's young as well and coming on very nicely imo. He works hard and is one of the true straight line forwards we have, he runs himself into the ground and I reckon he's totally gassed by the time he gets his set shot opportunities. You can tell just by looking at him how hard he works. A few more preseasons will help that.

He's already better than Jack Watts. I'm glass half full with Marra.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Did we know we were going to miss out on Watson? During the trade period all the noise was that we were trading into the high end of the draft with a mind to draft him. Then Hawthorn started firming to take him before our pick.
    In hindsight I think we had in mind exactly what we did . We had Weightman and West.
    We needed to start getting mids in.
    We weren’t to know Weightman was going to get injured.
    Smith,Sanders,Richards were our planned mid field into the future.
    I still think a little is to be played out with Smith.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Do we know if we were actually a chance or did he simply choose the Hawks? the team he barracked for as a kid, likewise with Wingard (thank god he chose the Hawks) and Jack Martin? Two other smaller forwards in the past we "reportedly" went hard after.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Do we know if we were actually a chance or did he simply choose the Hawks? the team he barracked for as a kid, likewise with Wingard (thank god he chose the Hawks) and Jack Martin? Two other smaller forwards in the past we "reportedly" went hard after.
    I think some of his behaviours off the field were a concern.

Post Thanks / Like

GREATER Western Sydney has been dealt a double injury blow with Josh Kelly and Lachie Ash set to miss six weeks with calf injuries.

So GWS just lost their number #1 ranking player and their number #6 ranking player for this year.

13. Likes Mofra, kickit2Koly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

GREATER Western Sydney has been dealt a double injury blow with Josh Kelly and Lachie Ash set to miss six weeks with calf injuries.
    big losses
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

GWS GIANTS v WESTERN BULLDOGS

Saturday May 18, 4:35pm at ENGIE Stadium

Giants’ Round 9 side

B: C.Idun, S.Taylor, H.Perryman

HB: L.Whitfield, J.Buckley, L.Ash

C: N.Haynes, J.Kelly, F.Callaghan

HF: B.Daniels, A.Cadman, T.Bedford

F: T.Greene - C, J.Hogan, H.Thomas

FOLL: K.Briggs, C.Ward, S.Coniglio

I/C: D.Jones, T.Green, H.Himmelberg, J.Riccardi, C.Stone

EMG: J.Peatling, J.Wehr, M.Gruzewski

Team Tips: The Giants have been dealt two huge injury blows, with Josh Kelly and Lachie Ash set to miss six weeks with calf tendon injuries. Both players suffered the setbacks against Essendon but played out the game before reporting soreness in the area, with scans confirming the severity of the damage. It leaves two big voids in Adam Kingsley’s line-up in the midfield and defence respectively. In terms of who could come in, Xavier O’Halloran responded to his dropping a fortnight ago, accruing 31 disposals, 11 clearances, 11 tackles, 10 inside 50’s and a goal in the reserves. Harry Rowston continues his strong VFL form, acquiring another 23 disposals, 10 tackles and a goal – and is certainly an option as a half-forward, while Josh Fahey (34 disposals) and Jacob Wehr (19 disposals, one goal) also played well as other potential options to be recalled. Conor Stone was subbed out in the last quarter, but looked good in his return – despite a low disposal count. Young forward and sub Harvey Thomas has been teetering on the edge of the team for a few weeks now and could be vulnerable at selection.

Bulldogs’ Round 9 side

B: L.Bramble, L.Jones, B.Dale

HB: T.Duryea, A.Keath, J.Johannisen

C: B.Williams, A.Treloar, J.Freijah

HF: L.Vandermeer, A.Naughton, R.Garcia

F: J.Harmes, J.Ugle-Hagan, R.West

FOLL: T.English, M.Bontempelli - C, E.Richards

I/C: L.Cleary, S.Darcy, H.Gallagher, J.Macrae, J.O’Donnell

EMG: R.Lobb, C.Daniel, A.Jones

Team Tips: The Bulldogs were flawless against the Tigers last Saturday night, but that’s not to say it won’t be a tough week at the selection table for Luke Beveridge and co. Joel Freijah played well on debut, but him and Luke Cleary may be vulnerable given they are the last players into the side. The availability of Laitham Vandermeer is still unclear, with the Dog subbed off in the second quarter with a bad shin. Should he be unavailable, there are a plethora of players from the VFL who could fill his void. Rory Lobb kicked four goals in the reserves, with an impressive 21 disposals and 28 hitouts to go with them. Dropped utility Buku Khamis also kicked a bag of four, while Charlie Clarke – who was also omitted – kicked 3.2 from 17 disposals. Ryley Sanders kicked 42 disposals, one goal and had 12 clearances in a damning reminder to Beveridge he’s a star of the future. The regularly overlooked Caleb Daniel had 26 disposals, 14 tackles and 10 clearances, and might be wondering what more he can do to earn a recall.

16. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Am i allowed to say that we have been more unpredicatable out of the middle and moved it more quickly when Libber didn't play against Saints and Tigers? Libber comes straight back in but just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

Am i allowed to say that we have been more unpredicatable out of the middle and moved it more quickly when Libber didn't play against Saints and Tigers? Libber comes straight back in but just saying.
    I think Libbas weakness is speed on his feet and that’s where the games is atm.
    Quick with hands and football nous but running speed isn’t his strength.
    Bring back the biff