Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  41
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I know every game counts, BUT...

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I think we forget we lost the next 3 games after that awesome win. Improvement isn?t always linear. But totally agree the current group has no history of standing up against top opponents or winning the close ones.

Yeah you're right but it just feels like that game was the beginning of building that belief. 2016 was built on winning close enough, hard fought games. That was the match we proved we could do it and in hostile territory

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    what did they say?
    He knows GWS are our rivals but he said GWS are the Swans rivals not ours because they are both from Sydney. He was thinking about it in terms of 18 teams into 9 rivalries so he's not wrong I guess. Trouble is in that scenario it leaves us with whoever is left over, probably St Kilda or North.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    He knows GWS are our rivals but he said GWS are the Swans rivals not ours because they are both from Sydney. He was thinking about it in terms of 18 teams into 9 rivalries so he's not wrong I guess. Trouble is in that scenario it leaves us with whoever is left over, probably St Kilda or North.
    I tend to agree with him. We had a bit of rivalry a few years ago, but it sort of fizzled out.

Essendon were really our traditional rival as they hated us and tried to keep us out of the VFL, plus we had the Champions of Vic title. That died, because the media doesn't like a smaller club having a bigger club as a rival. They take rivalry to be a big crowd at the MCG.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    We need a 2015 Sydney moment for this team. I don't know if it comes this year though
    That was great win. That first season under Bevo was fun.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with him. We had a bit of rivalry a few years ago, but it sort of fizzled out.

Essendon were really our traditional rival as they hated us and tried to keep us out of the VFL, plus we had the Champions of Vic title. That died, because the media doesn't like a smaller club having a bigger club as a rival. They take rivalry to be a big crowd at the MCG.
    Our local rivals by geography from Footscray are Essendon and North Melbourne.

When we play the Dons or Roos they are like local derbies to me.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Our local rivals by geography from Footscray are Essendon and North Melbourne.

When we play the Dons or Roos they are like local derbies to me.
    Geelong ? I mean one end of our ground is Geelong road and they are the ones we compete with as far as west of Melbourne is concerned.
    We have also had some great games against them , sadly lost all of them.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Geelong ? I mean one end of our ground is Geelong road and they are the ones we compete with as far as west of Melbourne is concerned.
    We have also had some great games against them , sadly lost all of them.
    Yep very true ledge. Geelong old vfl zone was Werribee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Yeah you're right but it just feels like that game was the beginning of building that belief. 2016 was built on winning close enough, hard fought games. That was the match we proved we could do it and in hostile territory
    It did FEEL important but the very next week we lost to St Kilda after leading by 49 points at half time. It’s just fascinating how we view some wins and losses and the stories we weave around them.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

It did FEEL important but the very next week we lost to St Kilda after leading by 49 points at half time. It’s just fascinating how we view some wins and losses and the stories we weave around them.
    That game was one out of the bag, after Clay did a third ACL and Picken knocked out just on half time and the whole team was around him. Really put the sting out of our bite
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Your new avatar hasn't gone unnoticed. It's only a matter of time before everyone else here gets on the Chomper Train.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

That game was one out of the bag, after Clay did a third ACL and Picken knocked out just on half time and the whole team was around him. Really put the sting out of our bite
    The players' heads were elsewhere in the 2nd half. Facts that every saints fan overlooks. It was not a normal game. The same game they claimed Billings to be greater than Bont. They probably made a DVD out of it.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what did they say?
    Fark Toby Greene
    "It's over. It's all over."

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Your new avatar hasn't gone unnoticed. It's only a matter of time before everyone else here gets on the Chomper Train.
    I feel queasy whenever I see it. The Joke has gone on too long!
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Omg i just saw it.

MEIN EYES!

Post Thanks / Like

Ride the bomb until it lands.
    "It's over. It's all over."