• Pro the Bevolution

26 86.67%
  • Anti the Bevolution

4 13.33%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Bevolution. Are you yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't see any real similarities in the way Clarke and Weightman go about their forward craft but perhaps Cody needs to become a bit more of a ground level player.
    Agree that Freijah didn't knock the door down in a traditional sense but he did string a few solid performances together so deserved a chance and has grasped it pretty well. Regarding Daniel, he's lifted his work rate in recent training sessions and perhaps holding him back a bit longer might have sparked that.

JOD is the outlier based on his performances and has certainly been given a lot of time to find some form.
    From a training POV he does look composed with his skills but given he's an ex cricketer he should be aware that at some point he needs to get some runs on the board and it's form in the middle rather than in the nets that count.
    Coffield will be available soon enough and Busslinger is starting to get some good games behind him so there could be some competition for him to battle against.
    Thought Freijah put together a run of form that was as close to someone knocking the door down in the twos as I can recall in recent history, from his age profile and potential role at least.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    When we say Clarke and Weightman are "like for like" I do wonder what we are all looking at.

Freijah was knocking quietly on the door...not banging it down. With Daniel available at half-back, he should have been made to bang.

JOD I have no comments on that I haven't already shared...there's a whole thread about it! Again, I like him fine but don't get the obsession. He is a very good looking man though so I guess that's part of it.
    Ability aside, I have never thought of JOD as a "very good looking man" I guess he's pleasing to look at, is that the consensus, that he's a bit of a Rooster?

Post Thanks / Like

When we say Clarke and Weightman are "like for like" I do wonder what we are all looking at.

Freijah was knocking quietly on the door...not banging it down. With Daniel available at half-back, he should have been made to bang.

JOD I have no comments on that I haven't already shared...there's a whole thread about it! Again, I like him fine but don't get the obsession. He is a very good looking man though so I guess that's part of it.
    I can't see how they're competing for the same spot.

To me Freijah has replaced Richards as a medium sized defender whereas Daniel who is much more limited in the type of player he can play on is competing with the likes of Duryea, JJ and Bramble.

4. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, mighty_west liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pleather Sole View Post
    Ability aside, I have never thought of JOD as a "very good looking man" I guess he's pleasing to look at, is that the consensus, that he's a bit of a Rooster?
    I'd go with JOD, but I'd be thinking of SSEW.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I can't see how they're competing for the same spot.

To me Freijah has replaced Richards as a medium sized defender whereas Daniel who is much more limited in the type of player he can play on is competing with the likes of Duryea, JJ and Bramble.
    Not Bramble surely!

I think the point is even when Caleb plays on the backline, he can’t really be a “defender” as almost everyone is taller than him and he’s not quick either. He’s always been there as a playmaker. I’m really not sure where he fits in now and there has clearly been a massive loss of confidence.

As to the original question, though I’m on board with most of the changes, I’m not sure how many are planning masterstrokes, and how many have been jigsaw puzzle pieces being moved around due to form issues or injuries, eg was Red always in the midfield mix as we seemed to start off with trying to have more interceptors in defence and he was integral to that.

I’d still like to see us with more variety in the midfield, Garcia hasn’t attended many, if he’s our midfield future I’d really like to develop him more rather than become another half forward graveyard occupant.p
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

7. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ummm.

I have abstained from voting.

I'm still uncertain whether the "Bevolution" (as presented) is really revolutionary or simply a spin of the wheel of fate which means that some selection decisions have paid off vs not paid off.

I am all in with the Richards to the mids idea, the play Garcia idea and the 'we need TWO mature and competent key defenders' idea. I am not necessarily on board with some of the decisions - particularly those pertaining to our running defenders - HOWEVER happily acknowledge that things are working well enough right now.

I am also not on-board with the club considering what is happening right now "Bevo-lutionary" and therefore deciding to pump games into Busslinger, Jones, Clarke et al whilst the team is in contention. Make them knock the door down with their VFL performances...if all you do is tappity-tap for a couple of weeks then stay in the VFL. Do what Macrae did - 438 possessions and 200-clearances - basically MADE the MC pick him.

I think it's an open year. I don't think we're quite good enough but it's May. We have a strong-ish midfield group and some forwards who I wouldn't want to be planning for...Sydney this week have quite literally no matchup for Darcy, Jamarra or Naughton. I guess, Melican will have to take Darcy, Blakey will take Naughton and Francis will try to play on Marra? Or do they just tell Rampe to play on Marra and try and bash him up to allow Blakey to continue to be a spare? We are a genuine problem for most teams ahead of the ball...It sounds stupid given we lost to Hawthorn but it is 100% not season over time/look to the future time...sure, keep one eye on it but we can win games and finals NOW.
    There have been times past when I have found selections to be puzzling. Not this year though. All seem quite rational. Keath and Gardner injured, Khamis and JOD played. West and Cody out, next best prospect in. Gallagher, Freijah, inject some youth and energy. Team has plenty of experience. Sanders had to play, then back to the seconds to practice stuff. Bramble and VDM for pace.

Look how well Dale has gone since being dropped. A bit of time at Footscray has helped Macrae.

I have heard Bevo dismiss rebuilds for constant evolution, which is what I thought you meant by Bevolution. His view is that you can evolve while still aiming to win this week and this year.

That seems the ideal philosophy to me. Have an eye for both this week and the evolution needed for the last week in September.

Post Thanks / Like

I have zero issue with Dale and Macrae (and Daniel) playing at Footscray. If any of my comments have indicated that I was then I apologise...it was never the intent.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I have zero issue with Dale and Macrae (and Daniel) playing at Footscray. If any of my comments have indicated that I was then I apologise...it was never the intent.
    Not saying you did. Just me spitballing.

What do you think of my take on the Bevo philosophy?

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is driving me Bevocrazy.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    Not saying you did. Just me spitballing.

What do you think of my take on the Bevo philosophy?
    That we can evolve without rebuilding? I don't disagree - I'm still not sure we've got all boxes ticked - the Garcia vs Gallagher argument in another thread is an example of this...I get what you are saying in terms of players being selected for roles - I do - but I still can't get behind what's happened so far this year when:

JOD and Khamis are two of three tall defenders and Khamis continuously found himself the deepest.
    Clarke is selected despite just not being anywhere next to ready.
    Freiiah is selected after a handful of good games when experienced options are available.

Do I think we've landed in a pretty good spot NOW? Well - sure. I'm with Mantis that the midfield minutes for Gallagher and Garcia need to be 'flipped', but Freijah has seemingly settled in OK and Keath has (thankfully) replaced Khamis giving us both a big body AND a mature head behind the ball. Is that 'Bevolution' or is that simply following the bouncing ball of form/results?

Back to your question, I'm curious what your thoughts are re- the Bevolution and game-style.

Jordan is coming for Dale - who is driving us from half-back. What is his plan?
    Heeney is probs leading the Brownlow - what is his plan?
    They are 100% going to try and free up Blakey - what is his plan?

For three (or more) years now we have gone into games with a plan that seemed to be "Let the chips fall where they may...our best vs their best" - and the outcome has more often than not been a 'good effort' but a close loss where the oppo's best players (eg. Stewart at Geelong, May at Melbourne) ultimately had the biggest say in the result.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

13. Thanks Uninformed thanked for this post
    Likes The bulldog tragician, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back to your question, I'm curious what your thoughts are re- the Bevolution and game-style.

Jordan is coming for Dale - who is driving us from half-back. What is his plan?
    Heeney is probs leading the Brownlow - what is his plan?
    They are 100% going to try and free up Blakey - what is his plan?

For three (or more) years now we have gone into games with a plan that seemed to be "Let the chips fall where they may...our best vs their best" - and the outcome has more often than not been a 'good effort' but a close loss where the oppo's best players (eg. Stewart at Geelong, May at Melbourne) ultimately had the biggest say in the result.
    I'm really sick of that style of playing considering the work teams put into limiting the effect our important players will have in the game.

Sydney is rightfully the best team in the comp right now and have a dynamic midfield and HB line which they heavily rely upon... I can't wait to see what plans we have for their key playmakers, and I believe simply going H2H will be a dangerous strategy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. It'll be a real Bevolution if we put some visible action/effort/roles in to curb Heeney, and for Dale to free himself from the tag (or others to benefit from the tag).

What's more likely is Dale gets 10 touches, Heeney has 25 and 3 goals, and Warner has similar numbers. Bont will get 30 and 2 goals and we'll lose by 2 kicks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have really liked us blooding some new players this season.

Gallagher, Freijah, Sanders and Clarke. Gallagher was very good early on and Freijah has been good since coming in. Be good to see Busslinger next.

Darcy has been excellent this season and will be a contested marking beast. Garcia has impressed as well.

I will give Bevo until the end of the season and then re-evaluate from there.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Cheers DG. First time for me unbelievably.

It is fkn awful. Never knew a human body could sweat so much.

Get your boosters folks, i was blase.

Yes my whole post was just about getting sympathy... Because.. Well.. I'm a man, and isolation sucks!
    Get well soon Granty.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

18. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Get well soon Granty.
    Thanks ED feeling a lot better today.

20. Likes Eastdog liked this post