Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Enough with the Boyd questions: Beveridge

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We should go full Marshawn Lynch.
    Like this:

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Bevo should take this guy's approach to pressers. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-...on-t-get-fined
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

2. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else hear in the press conference after the Swans game that Beveridge referenced the lack of free kicks Boyd was getting but Boyd doesn't complain, he just gets on with the job.

I love how our coach isn't afraid to stick up for his players.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes chef, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Did anyone else hear in the press conference after the Swans game that Beveridge referenced the lack of free kicks Boyd was getting but Boyd doesn't complain, he just gets on with the job.

I love how our coach isn't afraid to stick up for his players.
    I'm not sure why the umpires are treating him like Barry Hall and not like Nick Riewoldt. If it happens again I want the club to go go public with their envoy to the umpires dept, just to fly the flag and get him a game reprieve as a minimum.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm not sure why the umpires are treating him like Barry Hall and not like Nick Riewoldt. If it happens again I want the club to go go public with their envoy to the umpires dept, just to fly the flag and get him a game reprieve as a minimum.
    Sick of these backman getting away with holding and wrestling players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Beveridge subtly underlined Boyd's treatment this season during yesterday's postgame presser, capping his remarks with Boyd being prepared to fight his way though it rather than complain about it.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Nice subtle dig at the Clokes and Riewoldts of this world

Post Thanks / Like

May God help the first defender to NOT hold and wrestle him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    May God help the first defender to NOT hold and wrestle him.
    Yep, his positioning and marking is getting better every game, he's not just spoiling all the time
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

And despite all that, I'd have been happy for Tom to have accrued this number of marks and goals over half a season let alone just 5 games. He's already made himself vital to our structure- we look significantly poorer going forward when he's off the ground and for someone so high profile his game continues to be underrated next to someone like Hogan. I was honestly thinking we were getting a kid who was probably going to be mostly a 5 disposal a game passenger until 2018, but if we had Carlisle up forward instead, would he be doing that much more than Tom is?

I was nervous about putting so many eggs into this key forward basket but we looked to have picked the perfect one for team structure, for his own scope of development, for current output and a guy who looks as tough mentally as they come. I could not have been more pleased with the exceptional starts he's made, is a key plank to the forward line already.

12. Likes Mantis, Twodogs, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    And despite all that, I'd have been happy for Tom to have accrued this number of marks and goals over half a season let alone just 5 games. He's already made himself vital to our structure- we look significantly poorer going forward when he's off the ground and for someone so high profile his game continues to be underrated next to someone like Hogan. I was honestly thinking we were getting a kid who was probably going to be mostly a 5 disposal a game passenger until 2018, but if we had Carlisle up forward instead, would he be doing that much more than Tom is?

I was nervous about putting so many eggs into this key forward basket but we looked to have picked the perfect one for team structure, for his own scope of development, for current output and a guy who looks as tough mentally as they come. I could not have been more pleased with the exceptional starts he's made, is a key plank to the forward line already.
    I'm loving the contests that he brings and also the development he is showing already in such a short time however if he were a 5 disposal a game passenger I'd be disappointed as he would be showing no improvement at all. We should be seeing a slight improvement every season.

Post Thanks / Like

The most pleasing thing is his fitness. He is running out games. He averaging around 90% time on ground over the first 5 weeks.

I thought it may take 3-4 years until we start seeing what he really is capable of. But now I'm thinking 1-2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Intesresting, someone seems to have actually watched us and doesn't just want to hope Tom Boyd fails. (Or they read this on WOOF http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...003#post433003)

The Buzz: Tom Boyd is starting to reward the Western Bulldogs for bold and adventurous trading

TOM Boyd was the Christmas present Western Bulldogs fans were only supposed to unwrap in 2017. Two rounds in, after Jeremy McGovern and Alex Rance treated him as their plaything, they wondered if he would be any good by 2027. Yet five weeks into the season, the Western Bulldogs are one of many clubs being rewarded for bold and adventurous trading.

Boyd is no Tom Hawkins yet, but after the most brutal list of opponents a second-year tall would ever encounter, he is just one of the remarkable Bulldogs success stories. And arguably, he is outperforming former Dogs captain Ryan Griffen, the man traded away by the Bulldogs (along with pick six) in last year’s once-in-a-lifetime trade. Griffen will come good — he has to after a strangely flat opening where he has averaged just seven kicks a game (his lowest total since 2008).

Don’t look now, but Boyd has kicked seven goals in his last three weeks on Norm Smith medallist Brian Lake (three goals), All-Australian defender Daniel Talia (two) and premiership defender Heath Grundy (two). He has held up an end on the competition’s defensive gorillas who might have played on dynamo Jake Stringer and found just enough space to hit the scoreboard.

He hasn’t dominated by any means but in averaging 10 disposals and four marks (three inside 5), he has done exactly what Beveridge would have asked him. Griffen’s form slump is more befuddling given he has been tagged only once — by St Kilda’s Mav Weller — and has only one breakout game against Gold Coast (eight handballs, 21 kicks). Still, with Greater Western Sydney believed to be paying only $180,000 of Griffen’s salary this year and also with pick six (key back Caleb Marchbank) it will ultimately turn into a win-win deal.

It is another reminder that not trading at all can sometimes be a bigger risk than stepping into the unknown.

Link
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

16. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post