Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog Roberts rising to the challenge of playing on the opposition's key forwards

link

WITH a dearth of key defenders in the AFL, Fletcher Roberts is well aware of his importance to the Western Bulldogs' premiership aspirations.

The 196cm, 90kg Roberts has the physical attributes to contain the League's monster forwards.

While he is still developing and injuries have slowed his progress, the former Sandringham Dragon knows he is yet to cement his spot in the finals-bound Bulldogs team after five seasons and 29 games at Whitten Oval.

"I've been around the mark as a key defender for a couple of years now," he told AFL.com.au.

"I spoke to 'Bevo' (Luke Beveridge) a couple of weeks ago about how important I can be in our defensive structure and how important depth is at our club.

"He believes in every one of his players and he's always pumping me with confidence.

"But I hope in the coming years I can continue to build my tank and work on my strength and speed so I'm able to play on the big boys and the ones that can run a lot."

Despite having one of the AFL's stingiest defences, the Dogs will need a few key options to combat the array of key forwards they will confront come September.

With the ever-reliable Dale Morris better suited to smaller forwards in the twilight of his career, it will be left to Roberts and first-year sensation Marcus Adams to quell the likes of Adelaide's Taylor Walker, Geelong's Tom Hawkins and Giant Jeremy Cameron.

But with last year's gripping elimination final loss to the Crows still fresh in his mind, Roberts, 23, believes the experience has left him battle-hardened.

'A few times last year and in the final I might have been caught in front, so I think it's just a matter of getting in a more lateral position and being able to jump at the ball, which is one of my strengths," he said.

"I learnt a lot about the speed and high-pressure situations in games, so the more we play in those really close games the more we'll be able to handle those situations.

"As a defence we're starting to work well together from the start of the year and we pride ourselves on the way we defend.

"We call it an 18-man defence and if we don't have that we struggle to play our best footy."

Saturday night's game against St Kilda will be the perfect preparation for what awaits the Dogs in the finals, with the Saints possessing three strong marking targets in Josh Bruce, Tim Membrey and evergreen skipper Nick Riewoldt.

Roberts is expecting to become familiar with that imposing attack in the next few seasons.

"They've got some great forwards in Bruce, Riewoldt, Membrey and Paddy McCartin when he plays," Roberts said.

"The sides have played some exciting games and they're the matches people come and watch.

"Both teams are young with a lot of talent, so I think it will be a strong rivalry for the years to come."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Remi Moses, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Roberts rising to the challenge of playing on the opposition's key forwards

I have not really been a big fan of Sid but he is slowly turning me around. He is still a bit light to go toe to toe with the big monsters and he gets caught out of position too often. He is improving all the time though which is all you can ever ask for.

He biggest hurdle is time. With all the talk of Hurley and the natural improvement of the likes of Collins, Adams and Cordy, he could find himself playing VFL more often than not if he doesn't cement his spot by the end of the season. I'd be happy if he does command the full back post because that means he playing good footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Roberts rising to the challenge of playing on the opposition's key forwards

90kg is a bit light for someone his size. I remember sitting next to his mother at the season launch a few years ago, (Fletch was on the table as well), and she told me the club was pushing him to put weight on. She told me about his diet and what she had to cook for him, and I couldn't believe the size of meals. He must be someone that just doesn't stack it on easily.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    90kg is a bit light for someone his size. I remember sitting next to his mother at the season launch a few years ago, (Fletch was on the table as well), and she told me the club was pushing him to put weight on. She told me about his diet and what she had to cook for him, and I couldn't believe the size of meals. He must be someone that just doesn't stack it on easily.
    Anyone can put bulk on if they combine correct diet and a suitable weightlifting program. Would love him to get mentored by a gun powerlifter but the sports scientists wouldn't allow it.

Think Fletch has been hampered with his shoulder injuries in particular. Pretty hard to smash the weights with a bung shoulder. Hopefully he gets a good run at it and increases his strength because it is his biggest flaw. Good IQ, good disposal, good defensive instincts, just gets pushed around too easily.

Post Thanks / Like

How many times last night Roberts got his hand on the ball and then dropped the mark. Why he doesn't just go for a defensive punch I don't know.

At the moment, one on one he is useless, but did do a couple of nice things last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How many times last night Roberts got his hand on the ball and then dropped the mark. Why he doesn't just go for a defensive punch I don't know.

At the moment, one on one he is useless, but did do a couple of nice things last night.
    Roberts lacks pace and needs to become more attacking.Still the best of our key defenders but needs to do more.