Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  50
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong Tours Collingwood's Facilities

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He constantly puts his teammates under pressure with his disposal. We all talk about his kicking but the "hot potato handball" is becoming a feature of his game which means he basically fights hard to win the ball then puts us in a position to give it straight back tot he opposition.

His hands in close are "ok" but we have so many other better options, and those guys are natural footballers.
    He's clearly a depth player and a classic athlete turned footballer but if he nets us something decent I say go for it.
    Not disagreeing there, it is bad and he is a common culprit but all our players were doing that. We handball far too much to the point where it becomes infectious and no one wants to hold on to the ball and take the time to think or actually try and break lines.
    The best way to open up the opposition is when you run with the ball as the numbers in the defence grid will start to move and open up holes. This is why we are not scoring this year. Slow ball movement and no run and carry from the back half.

Back on Jong, last year there was a big focus from the coaches in getting him to run and explode from the contest when he gets the ball. Early on it worked great he was playing some great football, then he got injured. Since then he has been playing like an inside mid that just wants to handball the ball off to the nearest person as soon as possible. Similar to the form slump Mitch Wallis was having a few years back. I want to know where has that direction has gone as it is clearly not there any more.

2. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Not disagreeing there, it is bad and he is a common culprit but all our players were doing that. We handball far too much to the point where it becomes infectious and no one wants to hold on to the ball and take the time to think or actually try and break lines.
    The best way to open up the opposition is when you run with the ball as the numbers in the defence grid will start to move and open up holes. This is why we are not scoring this year. Slow ball movement and no run and carry from the back half.

Back on Jong, last year there was a big focus from the coaches in getting him to run and explode from the contest when he gets the ball. Early on it worked great he was playing some great football, then he got injured. Since then he has been playing like an inside mid that just wants to handball the ball off to the nearest person as soon as possible. Similar to the form slump Mitch Wallis was having a few years back. I want to know where has that direction has gone as it is clearly not there any more.
    Unfortunately with all our injuries the MC have probably had their hand forced and had to play him more as an inside mid instead of his desired position as a pacy line breaking outrider.

Post Thanks / Like

A trade of Jong for Travis Cloke is hurtling towards us, with Collingwood picking up some of the cheque for Cloke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    A trade of Jong for Travis Cloke is hurtling towards us, with Collingwood picking up some of the cheque for Cloke.
    No, I want something of value for Jong if possible. Realistically we can get Cloke for nothing and they'd do it for the cap relief (think us dumping Jade Rawlings)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    No, I want something of value for Jong if possible. Realistically we can get Cloke for nothing and they'd do it for the cap relief (think us dumping Jade Rawlings)
    I don't want Cloke either. But to me, that trade seems inevitable and I'm surprised it is not already getting airtime in the media (perhaps it is and I haven't seen it). Reading between the lines, Bevo wants to get him.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ozza is on the money.

Having to give up Jong to land Cloke would exclude competition for the latter's services to us. We'd also have the benefit of not paying money over and above what Jong's worth which is what we'll need to do to keep him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

We'd be paying overs. I'm willing to trade Jong for Cloke and a pick but that's it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    We'd be paying overs. I'm willing to trade Jong for Cloke and a pick but that's it.
    I agree a straight Jong/Cloke swap is overs, problem is Collingwood have given away picks in future trade deals so aren't well placed to trade away further picks. How about something like Jong and our third or fourth rounder for Cloke and Witts?

Post Thanks / Like

Jong as a guy who gets the ball through the middle of the ground and butchers it probably does the easiest thing that can be done on an AFL footy field. Cloke's job is much harder.

They don't compare as players.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Jong as a guy who gets the ball through the middle of the ground and butchers it probably does the easiest thing that can be done on an AFL footy field. Cloke's job is much harder.

They don't compare as players.
    That's true but given Cloke will be 30 come R1 next year and Jong will be 23, he still has a higher market value.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jong's the kind of guy we should be trading out while he has some currency in order to get something decent. Cloke is a guy at the end of his career whose club wants to be rid of him and will pay someone to do it.

I can't help but feel we lose in a straight swap

14. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't know the trade details yet or even if there will be one. It could be a swap of picks it could mean another player is involved like a Witts as has been mentioned. Interesting times ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Cloke is probably worth more than Jong. Straight swap with the Pies covering some of Clokes pay and we are way in front.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

So we could end losing Jong for a forward who can't kick for goal and whose best is well past him.....as well as a soft ruckman with limited ability. Joy oh joy.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

While I should re-iterate that I don't want us to get Cloke.....

I don't think that it is realistic to think of Jong as being worth MORE than Cloke.
    I very much doubt that the open market values Jong as even being worth as much as Cloke.

If we are to do this trade, taking my own feelings about it out of the picture, objectively - if we got Cloke for Jong, and Collingwood pay the salary difference, then at face value, its a very reasonable trade.

19. Likes azabob liked this post