Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

It's time for the Western Dogs to make a noise

by Gary Lyon

The Western Bulldogs have a gilt-edged opportunity to put together a season that will defy popular opinion and see them compete on the game's most important stage for the first time in 12 years. (Get your facts right GARY)

At present 11th on the ladder with a 5-5 win-loss ratio, they return to Etihad Stadium on Saturday night well rested after the bye, opposed to the 17th-placed Brisbane Lions. It is the start of a second half of the season that has, all of a sudden, opened up for them. For a side that is working so desperately to establish itself as a genuine contender that can compete with any side in the competition, on and off the field, it is an opportunity that just can't be passed up.

President Peter Gordon rightfully rails against any suggestion the Dogs are the league's poor cousin. He is investing time, and dollars, in a club that is obviously extraordinarily important to him.

He gives the Dogs a voice in a football conversation that can be dominated by the likes of Hawthorn, Collingwood and a raft of powerful, cashed-up interstate clubs.

But without on-field support, that voice can be quickly drowned out, attributed to the yappy, annoying little brother who is desperate to play with the big boys, but when things get really serious, they are pushed aside and ignored.

Under new coach Luke Beveridge, the annoying little brother has grown up, and is not so easily pushed aside. The Dogs have had wins against top-eight sides West Coast, Sydney, Richmond, GWS and Adelaide and pushed Fremantle all the way.

Marcus Bontempelli in action against the West Coast Eagles in round one, 2015. Photo: Getty Images

Yet they have dropped games to St Kilda after leading by close to 10 goals at half-time and were one of Melbourne's three victims for the year.

And therein lies the cautionary tail for Beveridge and his young charges. In the remaining 12 games of the season, the Dogs play only two sides inside the top eight.

And while they are at the stage where looking too far ahead is fraught with danger, the reality is that there is a very real opportunity for those responsible for what takes place on the field to support the passion, momentum and enthusiasm that has been generated off the field.

Do the Dogs, though, truly believe they belong in this year's finals equation? They need to look no further than Port Adelaide for inspiration. Like the Dogs, Port were unloved and unwanted at the end of the 2012 season. Matthew Primus departed during that year and they finished 14th on the ladder, playing to empty stadiums with banners covering row after row of vacant seating to save embarrassment.

The coaching job was hardly the most coveted, and the future looked decidedly bleak. Enter Ken Hinkley, low profile and previously overlooked as a coaching prospect, and an instant transformation came over the entire football club. After 10 rounds of the 2013 season, Hinckley's first as coach, Port were five wins and five losses.

For some, that was indication enough that things were starting to change and, along with David Koch and Keith Thomas, the club was back on track.

Sound familiar? After 10 rounds of football under new coach Beveridge, an appointment that no one saw coming, the Dogs are 5-5. . There is a buoyant sense of optimism around the club, and for some, a relief that the club appears to be back on track and relevant.

The question that the players and their coach have to answer though, is are they satisfied with producing surprising upsets against more fancied and credentialled opponents, which will keep the critics at bay, but along the way dropping other games that they have at their mercy?

Have they got a ruthless streak in them that ensures they remain in the race for the finals series by narrowing the gap between their best and worst? They play Brisbane, St.Kilda, Carlton and the Gold Coast in the next month – 14th, 16th, 17th and 18th on the ladder.

If you want to be taken seriously, then you seize opportunity when it presents itself. You prove that the messaging coming out of your club is not manufactured or hyperbole. You don't give the critics or analysts an opportunity to explain any drop-off in the second half of the year as natural attrition for a young and developing group.

You do as Port Adelaide did in the second half of Hinckley's first year as coach. After winning their first five games, they dropped their next five, and everyone expected this ride, as fun and as exhilarating as it was, had come to an end. But they, both coach and players, had a far greater belief in what they were capable of. They were too proud to just fall away and reassume the lowly position on the ladder that most had them pegged for.

They found a way to finish what they had started. They made the finals when no one thought they would. They won a final against Collingwood, when no one thought they would. And, in the process, they became respected, admired and genuinely feared.

Will we be saying the same about the Western Bulldogs when we put this season to bed? Why can't they be the 2013 version of Port Adelaide in 2015?

They have the talent. Do they truly believe, though?

The next month may give us the answer.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's time for the Western Dogs to make a noise

"If you want to be taken seriously, then you seize opportunity when it presents itself."

Riiiight, run us through it Gaz. Priceless coming from that sneering, puffed up loiterer.

Jeez I hope we towel up Melbourne later in the year. That loss burns.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped reading after the first Line.

Seriously. Haven't read another word, and not planning to. Shot his credibility to bits straight off the bat.

4. Likes lemmon, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we were more like port in 04 ( poor coach with a promising list)than we are now .
    Gary should be putting that blow torch on the rabble of a club he played for.
    The article just states the bleeding obvious to be honest .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I stopped reading after the first Line.

Seriously. Haven't read another word, and not planning to. Shot his credibility to bits straight off the bat.
    I have no idea what he was thinking there. The article has a lot of hyperbole and not a lot of substance
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I think its ok. H is simply saying we have an opportunity to not just be an also ran, but to really shape the finals this year. To an extent he is right - win the next 4 and we are 9-5 after 14 rounds - probably 3 to 4 wins away from scraping into the 8. 5 or 6 wins and we potentially top 4.

My reading he's not kicking the dogs here, he is simply stating the obvious that we have an opportunity - take it and we are on the road to glory. Don't take it and it could be a missed opportunity because teams next year will do their homework, the surprise factor is gone!

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was bored reading it.

10. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing startling there, no surprise given it's Garry Lyon. At least they fixed the first paragraph online.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

That 12 year gaffe would make sense if we had made the finals in 2004 or 2005 but we weren't even close to the mark in those years.

Was it a typo or did Gary look up from his computer and say to the nearest person
    "hey, when did the doggies last make the finals?"
    "I dunno, ask Stevo"
    "he's gone out and his phone is going straight to voicemail"
    "I've got no idea, arhhh, 12 years ago?"

Whatever, I'm glad it's been captured in the pages of WOOF so we can point out to the future generations what a pillock Gary Lyon is.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Thanks Remi Moses thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That 12 year gaffe would make sense if we had made the finals in 2004 or 2005 but we weren't even close to the mark in those years.

Was it a typo or did Gary look up from his computer and say to the nearest person
    "hey, when did the doggies last make the finals?"
    "I dunno, ask Stevo"
    "he's gone out and his phone is going straight to voicemail"
    "I've got no idea, arhhh, 12 years ago?"
    The printed age is also fixed now.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Um....did we make enough noise Mr Lyon?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    by Gary Lyon

They found a way to finish what they had started. They made the finals when no one thought they would. They won a final against Collingwood, when no one thought they would. And, in the process, they became respected, admired and genuinely feared.
    Will we be saying the same about the Western Bulldogs when we put this season to bed? Why can't they be the 2013 version of Port Adelaide in 2015?
    Horseshit. Not only did I think it was obvious to anybody who followed their progress that year, I backed them in a multi with Freo over the Cats at Kardinia and bought a seat in the EJ Whitten Stand.

Garrrry has always had a very annoying habit of presuming to speak for everybody else.

17. Likes Maddog37 liked this post