Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure won't get to Bulldogs' Rising Star Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Great post Hobdog...............and it makes me think...........I don't think I've ever seen him outmarked?
    It's like he decides early if he's gonna mark the incoming ball or not, and if he knows he can't mark it. (sometimes it's pretty simple physics and geometry) he decides to spoil. This is an incredibly intelligent strategy for such a young player.
    So now I ask again woofers. Can anyone recall him being outmarked? I can't.
    If I did, one look at the haircut and my mind was wiped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Great post Hobdog...............and it makes me think...........I don't think I've ever seen him outmarked?
    It's like he decides early if he's gonna mark the incoming ball or not, and if he knows he can't mark it. (sometimes it's pretty simple physics and geometry) he decides to spoil. This is an incredibly intelligent strategy for such a young player.
    So now I ask again woofers. Can anyone recall him being outmarked? I can't.
    I was talking about this with someone the other day. In recent weeks I'd say no, however I reckon McGovern would have in round 1.
    The development in Toms game this year has been very good so far. Looking forward to him monstering many a defender over the remainder of the year.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Forget the goals (two of them were lucky free kicks) and the marks it's the other aspects that actually got me excited about his performance. Tom's physical attack on the footy, using his body to far more effect leading up to marking contests, ie shoving his opponent out the way, and most importantly his second and repeat efforts. He still has some way to go but the fact he actually showed some intensity and desire for the second effort pleased me.

Now I actually know he has it in him, no doubt in my mind now. Let's see him try and deliver it each week.

And teammates, hello to Jake Stringer...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    But don't you just love the way he plays the game? I know I just love the way he goes about it and that makes him infallible. He took a mark in the wet once! And what about that SWAGGER. Who cares about facts, statistics, or measurable ability, I'd like to see Tom Boyd make a statement like that through intangibles, where the game is really played.

Plus I'm pretty sure he wants it more and won't accept mediocrity as easily. Did I mention SWAGGER~! ?
    It's easy for the acolytes in the media to follow Wayne Carey's lead and hitch themselves to the Jesse Hogan bandwagon, whilst at the same time tut-tut at Boyd's contract. I really like Hogan and reckon he will be a gun, but it's neck and neck right now between him and Boyd and I don't think that will change much in the ensuing years. Hogan will be on the same coin as Boyd soon enough, possibly on more.

I have found the whole Boyd trash-talking from the likes of Carey, Matthews and Lloyd quite unedifying to be honest. Hoping that a kid fails in their career is as low as it gets, but then again Matthews was deregistered as a player for a violent and unprovoked attack on an unsuspecting target. He also ended Ken Hunter's career with a deliberate knees into the back, which ruined Hunter's career - my Carlton mates are still filthy about this 30 years on.

5. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It's easy for the acolytes in the media to follow Wayne Carey's lead and hitch themselves to the Jesse Hogan bandwagon, whilst at the same time tut-tut at Boyd's contract. I really like Hogan and reckon he will be a gun, but it's neck and neck right now between him and Boyd and I don't think that will change much in the ensuing years. Hogan will be on the same coin as Boyd soon enough, possibly on more.

I have found the whole Boyd trash-talking from the likes of Carey, Matthews and Lloyd quite unedifying to be honest. Hoping that a kid fails in their career is as low as it gets, but then again Matthews was deregistered as a player for a violent and unprovoked attack on an unsuspecting target. He also ended Ken Hunter's career with a deliberate knees into the back, which ruined Hunter's career - my Carlton mates are still filthy about this 30 years on.
    He still remains the only player in history to be charged with assault by the police for an on-field incident.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    He still remains the only player in history to be charged with assault by the police for an on-field incident.
    He is not a very nice person that is for sure.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Barrie Robran, was it?

Post Thanks / Like

Lets not forget that Hogan's contract came before he'd played a SINGLE game? He'd quite literally done nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Barrie Robran, was it?
    The bloke Matthews hit? IT was Neville Bruns.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the extra year in the system has put Hogan a little ahead of Boyd at the moment, but once Boyd's fitness and body catches up to where Hogan's is it will be interesting to see their respective progress. I found the Carey article quite funny, Happy Days talks to the jerking over intangibles that pervade a lot of football commentary, and it's all fairly unsophisticated.

As for the second part of your post, we as a society seem to relish in the opinion and presence of thugs on our television. Campbell Brown, Barry Hall, Leigh Matthews and Wayne Carey are all prominent and a mix of people who have committed acts of pure bastardry on and off the field, and we reward them with plumb jobs and high profiles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The bloke Matthews hit? IT was Neville Bruns.
    Mathews also managed to break Robrans knee in a game but I can't remember whether it was a SAv Vic or a Hawthorn v North Adelaide (?). Whatever I know that Lethal isn't the most welcome of football guests in SA. He's about as popular as a fart in an elevator amongst some people in Adelaide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Mathews also managed to break Robrans knee in a game but I can't remember whether it was a SAv Vic or a Hawthorn v North Adelaide (?). Whatever I know that Lethal isn't the most welcome of football guests in SA. He's about as popular as a fart in an elevator amongst some people in Adelaide.
    Also knocked out Barry Cable in Mathews first State game