Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: After huge trade, why are Bulldog Tom Boyd and Giant Ryan Griffen disappointing at their new homes?

The forward line functions much better when Big Boyd is on the ground. He is starting to take the big grabs regularly. He is a reliable kick at goal. He is a clear cut above other tall players we have been trying up forward for the past x number of years.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: After huge trade, why are Bulldog Tom Boyd and Giant Ryan Griffen disappointing at their new homes?

Tom needs to get separation from his opponent which will come with experience and confidence .
    I'd like him to be a bit more demonstrative on the field, but he will when he gets confident in his ability .
    I think he's played a critical role in our structure and our forward half is better with him in it .
    Probably needs to lose a bit of puppy fat, but he's a blue chip investment .

Post Thanks / Like

With it being such a 'big' trade I can see why the article was written - much fuss was made about it during trade week and the on/off/on/off/ON day by day reporting of the discussions are still fresh in everyones mind.

As with all of this stuff though, the only thing the author can look at is on-field output which - for both players - has been nothing particularly amazing. Now - I actually think what Boyd has been doing playing as a key forward target at age 19 is actually pretty amazing and everyone just needs to chill-out, but the article is a pretty good reminder that if you are a high draft pick with a lot of publicity then you will be judged on output, pure and simple.

In the case of Griffen, GWS have a player whose best footy is in his rear-view mirror - he simply can't do it from week to week the way he once could. But he is professional - and he will speak up in meetings, and challenge his team-mates and generally help the Shiel's of the world become 'better'. What 'better' ends up looking like, I actually have no idea but the Giants have an easy draw and might very well play finals (and we have an easy draw as well).

A couple of people have remarked on Boyd in the subs vest and I have to say that I just don't get it either. Versus Port he was poor but so what? In a game where we couldn't score there was at least some HOPE that he might mark one...and I am still not sure how taking him to Adelaide and then putting him on the bench when he could have been learning a few more of Carlisle's tricks was a bad plan. Just play him. If Boyd wasn't going to mark it then Minson DEFINITELY wasn't going to mark it. Chuck him in the ruck for 5 mins, get him up the ground and 'in' the game...who knows what might have happened. Just play him. Not at 'all costs' of course - at some point his on-field behaviours might mean he needs to be dropped - but if he is picked then he needs to play.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom is 15.4 from set shots. That's Lockett/Dunstall territory.

What expert commentator at his next set shot miss will say he's got technique problems? I'm on Tony Shaw.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

What expert commentator at his next set shot miss will say he's got technique problems? I'm on Tony Shaw.
    Think he's already said he struggles from up close

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

"Ah well, Kelvin Templeton kicked 15.9 in one game"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Once again tonight I noticed a tweet from a Melbourne supporter comparing Tom to Hogan..
    This is getting seriously creepy and disturbing